RIP Gary Mitchell

C

choKEN

I just received word that we have lost Gary Mitchell this afternoon. He was and has been in the Tifton Ga. Hospital for about three weeks. Gary was a pioneer in Rimfire Benchrest and was a fierce competitor. He always had a smile and gave good advice to anyone who might be smart enough to listen. I am sad to hear of his passing but happy to have had the privilege to know him ! We are diminished !

Gary Mitchell

I just received word that we have lost Gary Mitchell this afternoon. He was and has been in the Tifton Ga. Hospital for about three weeks. Gary was a pioneer in Rimfire Benchrest and was a fierce competitor. He always had a smile and gave good advice to anyone who might be smart enough to listen. I am sad to hear of his passing but happy to have had the privilege to know him ! We are diminished !

So sorry to learn of our friend and competitor Gary's passing! He was always a gentleman and a fine friend.

Bill Schertz

Gary & Ole Blue

Sorry to here we had lost one of the finest competitors and person we've ever shot with. We have missed him the last few years and we will miss him more now.
Fred & Dorothy Jamison

Gary was one of the nicest people I've ever met. I could talk with him for hours, and never get tired of the conversation. He was a joy to be around. It is really sad to hear of his passing. My condolences to his family.

Gary was a really good guy. Always looked forward to shooting with him. He and Joe made quite a pair. You could always follow him to dinner, he knew the best place to eat wherever we shot. Had to duck a little in his shop though with the low ceilings. We will miss him.

Ken & Cherie Henderson

As a wounded veteran, a fierce competitor, a friend, and an all-around good guy, Gary will be truly missed. We are diminished. Rest in peace and may God bless your family in this time of grief. James Mock

It saddens me to hear this news. He was one of the good guys, that's for sure. And as Ken said, he definitely knew where all the good places for food were no matter what range you were at. Rest in peace my friend.

Dave Shattuck

We all lost a friend today!!

Gary Mitchell was loved and respected by anyone that ever knew him. He helped many of us get started in this sport, and was always willing to do whatever he could to help us become a better shooter. A fiercer competitor never lived, and even with his disability he worked endlessly to enhance our sport and encourage new shooters to participate. The example that he left with us, of sharing equipment, giving good sound advice, and simply making the day enjoyable even when our day of shooting was bad kept us involved in competing. I as well as many, many others feel a great emptiness today because of Gary's passing, not only was he a great friend, but many of us looked at him as a family member. Please keep his family in your prayers.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are heartbroken to hear of Gary's passing.. Pat & I loved Gary and considered him a lifelong friend.. Gary was "one of a kind" and would do anything for you.. Not only was Gary a fierce competitor, but he was a true "Southern Gentleman". Our memories of the BR-50 days at Cordele and Crisp County matches, will live forever in our hearts and minds...

At this sad time, our hearts and prayers go out to Gary's family.

May you Rest in Peace Gary.......

Dave & Pat Smith
Bradenton, Florida

Rip in Peace my friend,You taught me many things in the years we knew one another,I will remember you in my heart always,I will cherish the time and friendship we enjoyed together,Ive never forgotten what you told me at the nationals that year,I will cherrish that thought forever,My heart and Prayers goes out to the Mitchell family in their time of loss.
Jeff Hopper

Funeral Arrangements...................................... ...........................

Gary Thomas Mitchell

Dates:
Death date: February 7, 2014

Obituary:

A graveside service for Gary Thomas Mitchell of Cordele will be held at 11:00 a.m. Wednesday, February 12, 2014 at Zion Hope Cemetery in Crisp County. The family will receive friends Tuesday evening from 6:00 until 8:00 p.m. at Rainey Family Funeral Services. Gary passed away Friday at Tift Regional Medical Center in Tifton. Born in Atlanta, he was the son of the late Thomas Walter and Anne Lawson Mitchell. Gary was a veteran of the United States Army and was a crew chief (RET) with NOAA. He was an excellent cook and one of the founders of the Crisp County Gun Range. He was affiliated with the Friends of the NRA and was a member of the Hall of Fame for Bench Rest Shooting. Gary is survived by a son and his wife, Jimmy and Holly Mitchell of Cordele; the mother of his son, Laura Mitchell of Cordele; grandson, Navy Gunner Mate, Christopher Thomas Mitchell of Norfolk, VA, granddaughter, Hannah L. Mitchell of Granado, TX, god-son, Bryan Newton of Cordele, granddaughter, Maelyn Akin and grandson Kendall Akin, both of Cordele. He was preceded in death by a sister, Nancy Miller. Flowers will be accepted, but the family requests that memorials to honor Gary be made to Wounded Warrior Project, PO BOX 758517, Topeka, KS 66675 or online at www.woundedwarriorproject.org.

There is a guest book in Gary's name on the Rainey Funeral Home website, if you can't make the services, I'm sure his family would appreciate your comments about Gary.

This is a sad time for all Benchrest shooters! Gary was truly one of the finest people I've ever known. Gary made everyone he met feel like a friend. He handled his physical difficulties with grace and dignity. Also, he was a great shooter ! May we all aspire to his standards.

We had the pleasure of meeting Gary only a few times at the 50/50 Nationals several years ago. He was such a pleasant, nice, sharing person. Our sport and our world is indeed diminished.

Al & Penny

Gary Mitchell

This discipline has lost a great and lovely man who gave all to it's shooters and will forever be remembered. All those who met him learned something from him and never forgot him. Though he suffered. for years, may he now rest in peace.

I am so sorry to hear of Gary's passing. He was one of the great ones, always willing to help his fellow competitors no matter how new to the sport.
Rest in peace Gary.
Todd

Back