Rimfire rifle rest

Sg5022.dave

Going to purchase a front rest for a custom rimfire and am considering either a Randolph Machine or Farley. I'd like input From experienced shooters as to their recommendations or experience with either rest.

Thanks,
Dave

Rimfire rest

Going to purchase a front rest for a custom rimfire and am considering either a Randolph Machine or Farley. I'd like input From experienced shooters as to their recommendations or experience with either rest.

Thanks,
Dave

I had a Farley for several years and thought it was ok. It did not have the ability to move thru the whole
IR50/50 target without using the course adjustment. In my opinion, this is less than ideal and in the middle of a target I would have to go back to the sighter and verify nothing had changed, or make the required correction. I was always a little concerned about taking my hand off the control arm before shooting the shot, fearing the rest may move.

Two years ago I bought the Randolf rest and shortly thereafter sold the Farley to a high power shooter. The Randolf is ideal for Rimfire and will cover the whole 50/50 target. It is precise, easy to use, and I can't find any improvement to suggest. The Randolf was the most typical rest at the 50/50 3gun Nationals that I saw this past September. You won't go wrong with one of them.

You had an old Farley. They've been capable of covering a whole card for years, and when properly set up you can remove your hand and that's where it will stay. Zero issues in rimfire.

I have a one piece Randolph Rest , and I really like the setup . No complaints , and I would recommend . I also use Seb Neo , which I use at ranges where one piece rest are frowned upon (Level playing field). Ballard Shooter

Why would you need to remove your hand from the joystick, would be my question. I've shot with them for years. I don't...and I don't know anyone else, that lets go of the stick while pulling the trigger. I set the rest tension to where it moves easily, but still stays put when I let go.....to load the gun. I don't know why else you'd need to let go and wouldn't recommend it.
Aside from that question, I think it's something that, once you use one, it quickly becomes second nature. For me, it's the only way to go on a score target, be it rimfire or centerfire. RTB means nothing shooting for score, IMHO. To me, a joystick rest is much faster at navigating a score target. This is worth a lot when you need to be running or getting from sighter to record quickly.

Last edited:
These are both fine rests. For what it's worth, in recent years, the Farley rests were used for 3 IR 50/50 national championship agg wins including two record aggs.

Just a thought for those with joystick rests. Take the restraint all the way out such that the rest goes to the bottom when you let go to load. You'll find that allows you to aim anywhere without skittering around and in a day becomes just as fast. There's enough "leverage" to allow holding for the shot. Actually it becomes a no brainer. Certainly, there are those that either can't do this or believe it's not good - all I'm saying here is you might give it a try for a day or so. Sure, it will seem pure hell at first but give it a few targets.

Back