Rimfire Benchrest rifles (Calfee SPEC rifles)

Everyone who has competed in 22 rimfire has lost a true artist of a gunsmith – Bill Calfee. Bill’s innovations created our game and propelled it forward every year. Hoke Kerns introduced me to Bill in the 90’s and we became friends immediately; we talked every day about the sport of rimfire for years. Bill had health problems that he worked right on through his whole life. There is no telling how many Calfee rifles have won or placed in matches over the years. If you have not seen one of his XP-100’s you need to see one and hopefully be able to shoot it. Have you ever heard of BR50? Bill was there. This sport has benefited so much from his steady hand for refining actions to introducing new barrels and actions.

You never stayed on the phone long with Bill, unless he had a story to tell or tell you about shooting some new test Lots. He could get excited and tell me who and how many bullets someone could buy. He was a treasure and will be missed by all.
Rest Easy My Friend,

Bob Collins
Bill built a rifle with a Broughton barrel I had purchased from Tim which shot really well. Either you or Bill acquired a sister barrel and he built you a rifle with it. I shot a 2500 with it at a Borden match 5/5/07. Still have the rifle and target signed by Bill, Steve Turner, Susanne, Kirk Gaston, and many others. Kirk tried to purchase it that Day..Said he would call my wife if I didn’t sell it and would tell her how much I turned down. Those were the days, Cabin Mike, Meadows and the southern Indiana crowd. That sure was a good couple lots of Tenex.
Gary Grove

Back