Rimfire Ammo

Chronographing .22lr ammo is a waist of time, like sorting them by weight

Velocities on the box, give you just one indication... better for wind or no wind, if, and that's a big if, they shoot well on your rifle. And even then, it depends, because that's not a golden rule.

The only way to tell, if a certain batch is good or not, is shooting it.

However, very bright mind shooters are trying, and I hope they will, to develop a different approach to sort .22lr ammo. Yet, for me, it implies another bias, as you have to manipulate ammo, and with this picky rounds, manipulating is not so good...

Yes indeed Pedro. All these guys playing with ammo are wasting their time.
Test everything you can, and the best you can..it either shoots or it does not……pretty simple.
You can also weigh, measure, sing to, and rub up against mid level ammo and the bottom line is it will always let you down, you want to shoot well, you need the best ammo you can get your hands on…..that’s a fact.

With all due respect Dave.

The numbers that Eley (and possibly other manufacturers) quote are from their test barrels are from a machine rest fired at their test ranges under ideal conditions. Often they are from a selected lot# (That's business)

Like you have observed, the numbers do not match the factory specifications but then I have found that Eley, Lapua and RWS etc. top shelf ammo is more consistent (less flyers) than some other brands. It's also more expensive.

I also sort, test and chronograph my rimfire ammo and have noted the variations, they are indeed a pita.

So can you please elucidate me as to which .22 rimfire ammunition manufacturer that you consider is better, and why?

I am sure that many people would like to know.

* doggie *

"Doggie"

The most consistent ammo, velocity wise, was a certain lot # of Lapua Center X.. The extreme spread was 10 fps... Do I consider Lapua the best ammo,...NO.. I have shot other lots of Lapua and Eley, that shot better scores that that one Lot of Lapua.. What I said was, do not trust the velocity numbers on the Eley boxes, because almost all the time there is a good deal of difference in what the box says and the velocity that you get...

Dave

Back