Rifle weight for IBS Light Varmint/Heavy Varmint

MkGram

MkGram
My Benchrest rifle currently has a Weaver t36 scope and it weights 10.3 lbs. I am considering getting a higher quality scope such as a Leupold, Night Force, or Burris variable power. The issue is that the additional weight would move me from the Light Varmint to the Heavy Varmint class because it would exceed the 10.5 lbs weight limit. Any advice or thoughts on this?

My Benchrest rifle currently has a Weaver t36 scope and it weights 10.3 lbs. I am considering getting a higher quality scope such as a Leupold, Night Force, or Burris variable power. The issue is that the additional weight would move me from the Light Varmint to the Heavy Varmint class because it would exceed the 10.5 lbs weight limit. Any advice or thoughts on this?

If you’re at 10.3lbs (about 10lb 5oz) with a t36, going to a Leupold competition or NF lightweight competition should only take you up to about 10lb 9oz.

If you’re using double screw rings you might be able to make weight with single screw in the back, depending on how close you are. That’ll probably only save you a half oz though. The easiest way to cut weight would be to have it removed from the barrel.

Just my opinion but there are lot of T36's on the Benchrest line. I doubt that the scopes you mention are that much better. Of course I have a T36.

If you’re at 10.3lbs (about 10lb 5oz) with a t36, going to a Leupold competition or NF lightweight competition should only take you up to about 10lb 9oz.

If you’re using double screw rings you might be able to make weight with single screw in the back, depending on how close you are. That’ll probably only save you a half oz though. The easiest way to cut weight would be to have it removed from the barrel.

Yo! It's 10.5lb or 10 lb 8oz.
t36 17 oz.
leupold 45X 20.4 oz.
Take off Stock weight and or butt plate, Scope covers, turret covers, trigger guard.....

You can also remove the butt plate and drill the stock for a weight system. Run a plastic tube in and epoxy it in. You can bolt various round weights to the inside of the butt plate. Or you can.........or you can........ there are several options.

How long is your barrel?

As was said, shortening the barrel is the easiest way to shed ounces. The best thing to do is take the barrel off, weight it, and see where you are.

Do you have a gunsmith that will shortened the barrel for you.

If you’re using double screw rings you might be able to make weight with single screw in the back, depending on how close you are. That’ll probably only save you a half oz though. The easiest way to cut weight would be to have it removed from the barrel.[I was considering a variable power but a Leupold 45x is only 20 oz. and I need to get the official weight as I used my digital bathroom scale.]

How long is your barrel?

As was said, shortening the barrel is the easiest way to shed ounces. The best thing to do is take the barrel off, weight it, and see where you are.

Do you have a gunsmith that will shortened the barrel for you.[The barrel is a 21” Hart but I would just live with the class they put me in. I’m not going to win anything as I do it for a hobby and the only practice range I have is indoors. I would like a variable power scope for getting on target easier.]

Just my opinion but there are lot of T36's on the Benchrest line. I doubt that the scopes you mention are that much better. Of course I have a T36.[I think I agree with you but when I was looking at the BR standings the top shooters had either NF or Leupold scopes. However, I never plan to be that caliber of shooter but it would be like buying that Corvette (I never treated myself to).]

Back