Rifle case

Many of us centerfire Shooters use the old reliable Gunguard 4 latch case. I use the 42" size since it will fit in a midsize SUV. The 48" one is a pain. Lots if rimfire folks use a vertical type case. The case you need is mostly dependent on what the hauling vehickle is.

Put it loosely in the bed of a pickup and you need a very substantial case. Put it in the back floor of a car about any hard case will do. Put it in a car trunk in hot weather you need a change of plan!

Plano Air Glide

+2 for the Plano Air Glide cases.

Have several HD aluminum rifle cases, but prefer the Plano; upright configuration is just right for 13 1/2# BR rifles for me.

Many of us centerfire Shooters use the old reliable Gunguard 4 latch case. I use the 42" size since it will fit in a midsize SUV. The 48" one is a pain. Lots if rimfire folks use a vertical type case. The case you need is mostly dependent on what the hauling vehickle is.

Put it loosely in the bed of a pickup and you need a very substantial case. Put it in the back floor of a car about any hard case will do. Put it in a car trunk in hot weather you need a change of plan!

My Hall came unglued two weeks after I bought it hot truck. Learned that one the hard way

Tim i did quite a bit of research on rifle cases before i purchased mine. I personally like single rifle cases for my bench guns. First off I am not going to put my guns in a cheap rifle case. I allready have nice rifle cases made by pelican and skb. While shoping at basspro shops the other day I was looking at there gun cases and there was one that caught My eyes, it was a very well made case with 4 extra heavy duty latches and a solid strong handle, it had the right width length and depth for Benchguns. This case is built solid like my Pelican cases but at about half the price. The case is made by plano, they call it there field locker series. This is the model # plano 109501 its worth looking into. And yes I did buy one

Last edited:
First off, I've never had enough space for one of those larger metal cases but always wanted one. Secondly, I don't know why. Scott Mims offered to trade me a more expensive, larger, and beefier case for the case I had and I jumped all over it without thinking much about it. In time, I learned why he wanted to trade. That big ol' tough case is sitting empty in the hallway right now. Really good rifle case...too big to comfortably carry around.

What I'm sayin' here is that a better case might not be a gooder case.....

i too, have starlight cases.
they are so good that they seldom get used, just too big to bulky.
their name comes from making the original cases for the original "starlight" mil night
vision scope.

Starlight cases are nice and a bit lighter than the Pelican/Storm cases. Made in NC.

http://www.starlightcases.com/AllCases.html

I have the Starlight single rifle case, but I agree with Wilbur that the bulky and heavy case usually gets left at home in favor of the Plano airglide.

Interesting that every place I tried shows Starlight "Out of Stock" is that because they are so good or some other reason?

Bob

Back