Repositioning the Rifle After Firing

Dave Rabin

I am new to F-Class and have a question about repositioning the rifle.

I plan to shoot F/TR and am shooting a .308 with a Harris bipod and a leather Protektor bag in the rear. The bag has the flat, reinforced bottom and short ears.

When I fire the shot the rifle recoils backward -- no surprise there -- but it also torques so much that it moves the rear bag out of position and I not only have to push the rifle forward but also have to reposition the bag and move the aimpoint to the left.

The same thing happened when I shot from a bench using a conventional front rest and bag. I also tried using an Otto rear bag stabilizer but it didn't help.

Am I doing something wrong or is this normal? If it's normal, how do you deal with it?

Thank you.

Dave Rabin

Watching through the scope, does your crosshairs move straight up on the target as the gun recoils after firing?

Combination of body position, how you grip the gun with your right hand and shoulder pressure...

Not to imply that I might have a good answer for you, but left or right handed? How much pressure, and which directions are you applying it before firing? Are you lifting your head? How much traction does the stock have on the bag?

To be honest, the rifle does move about on the bipod even for really good shooters. I remember seeing a video of the current national champion shooting and seeing his muzzle move a little to the left on firing. That has helped me understand better the difference between consistent shooting and the rifle not moving.

I'm reletively inexperienced compared to the national level guys, but I'm getting to the point where I can see how my stock contact afffects the recoil movement of the rifle, and ultimately, the precision of shot placement.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my experience if you don't load the Harris a little you'll get a lot of hop out of them. On my good days I'll see the crosshairs move straight up when the rifle recoils. I've seen the spotter go flying when I've hit the spindle. Other times the gun moves to the left in recoil and comes down on the target on my left. I've shot well when it's happened, it's all falls down being consistent shot after shot.

Thanks, guys.

To answer your questions:

I am right-handed. I have a light to medium grip, about the same as I use with my smallbore rifle when shooting prone with a sling. Shoulder pressure is medium, just enough to keep the rifle stable during trigger pull. Not lifting my head, I've learned to glue it to the stock. The rifle has good contact with the bag.

The suggestion to watch the reticle during recoil is good -- I'll try that. Usually the recoil happens so fast and unexpectedly I don't see much, but I need to pay better attention.

Keep the suggestions coming, this is very helpful.

Does your stock have an offset like a lot of the prone stocks, or is it straight for riding the bag?

Back