Repairing broken Kelbly ring.

Don

Family and fellow BR cohorts probably think I am cheap and little crazy to want to repair a
broken Kelbly 1" ring, but I seem to get a certain amount of pleasure in rescuing good
items that have serviced well throught out the years.

Not sure how/why it broke, I am generally easy on my BR rings for PPC's, not much recoil, they
never move with just moderate torque of ring screws.

How would you repair this broken ring? Other, than just openning the pocketbook and ordering a
new set to the tune of $100, which is probably the wisest means but not as much fun and
satisfying.....................Don

ibfaes.jpg

......... but I seem to get a certain amount of pleasure in rescuing good
items........

So rescue away matey....... and once't yer safe on land again lemme' know how you did it.

;)

al

Well I decided to just wing it and start the fix by fabricating a cap piece using a 1/2" wide strip x .040" thick 6061 material from some old windflag vanes, molded to the ring diameter by forcing the stipping into the ring saddle with a 1" piece of tubing.

Intention is to Devcon epoxy this cap over the broken ring half, drill and countersink............unless someone comes up with a better idea before I take the next steps............Don

fvviad.jpg

297ldy.jpg

Just a thought, How about inserting a 1" mandrel, liberally coated with release agent through , back the broken side screw out about .020 thou and shim for clearance
and apply Devon or JB weld to the broken area. Apply clamping pressure over the top and base of the ring, and don't dress off too much material when finished.

Of course, if you purchase another set of rings, that gives you a spare in case it happens again. :)
Don.H.

Chances are that if you call Kelbly and send the broke ring to him, it will be replaced for free.

That was my case anyway a few years back.

Brad

Just a thought, How about inserting a 1" mandrel, liberally coated with release agent through , back the broken side screw out about .020 thou and shim for clearance
and apply Devon or JB weld to the broken area. Apply clamping pressure over the top and base of the ring, and don't dress off too much material when finished.

Of course, if you purchase another set of rings, that gives you a spare in case it happens again. :)
Don.H.

Good idea, I will see if I can incorporate.

You are right about the spare, but then I would have the same problem as I do with all my spares, and that is where to find them when they are needed...............Don

I broke a Kelbly ring that I had had for twenty years. I e-mailed Jim to have him send me a new set of rings. He sent me a set at no charge. Talk about customer service, the Kelbly's are exemplary.

Chances are that if you call Kelbly and send the broke ring to him, it will be replaced for free.

That was my case anyway a few years back.

Brad

Brad, that will be plan "b" if my fix turns out to be a real butcher job, which it often does.............Don

Round# 2, cap ends trimmed and drilled for 6/48 screws, cap Devcon glued to top side of broken ring, will let cure for a couple of hours and install for Round# 3............Don

s4p4hs.jpg

28831v.jpg

Round#3, repaired ring installed, not for the purist, but will work on the videoscoping platform that I am playing with presently.

Function over form.....................Don

2dounp.jpg

Thanks for sharing....... looks perty good! Now ya gotta' do the other one and set back and enjoy as folks comment on your custom rings ;)

al

But then there's.............................

the possiblity that UV rays during th' Cracktus, or maybe th' Froglance will deteriorate it jus' enuff thet it will be overstressed, and 'PLINK' when y'don't even know it, an' tho' that last shot of a perfect string(that wouldn't have been there if y'had'n been 'machine-gunnin' it) out jus .00009001 enough to lose the 10-gun agg:eek: for the last 15 years. And, since you now have congestive part-failure, like Lance Armstrong after he got to tryin' out the equipment (too soon, too much) after the cure, you find you just ain' got it in ya to start over. Tsk, tsk.:rolleyes: But there's more, maybe that one Kelbly ring won't lock up just right, and because you are the sting...frugal type, that might overstress the tube, an' well, you know.........;)

But WAIT!! There IS a beam at the end of th' tunnel. IF you want a sure-fire way to remember where those extra rings are, right at the front door:D , or over the fireplace,:eek: take an old railroad spike (many pleasant hours on old lines, just walkin') and a suitable hammer, or better yet, get a team of old gandy-dancers and two gallons of red-mule, send the wife out an'...................HTH.................:cool: :D

Back