Removing a glue in Panda action, steel barrel insert question.

rrwildlife

I did a search on how to remove a glue in. From what I've read the most popular way is to put a iron on the scope bases and use a wedge to put pressure between the for-end of the stock and barrel. When it comes to a Panda action is it ok to apply the heat directly to the integral base and is there any risk in loosening the fastening agent for the steel barrel insert? I don't want to damage the action and i have a tendency to break things by applying to much pressure.

Thanks for the help.

Ryan

I did a search on how to remove a glue in. From what I've read the most popular way is to put a iron on the scope bases and use a wedge to put pressure between the for-end of the stock and barrel. When it comes to a Panda action is it ok to apply the heat directly to the integral base and is there any risk in loosening the fastening agent for the steel barrel insert? I don't want to damage the action and i have a tendency to break things by applying to much pressure.

Thanks for the help.

Ryan

It is "theoretically" possible, as the expansion rate of aluminum is greater than that of the steel insert. That said, I'm not sure what Kelbly does but the Stiller actions, made very much along the same lines use a thread locker along with the insert using an interference fit and torqued to 350ft/lbs....IIRC. This according to Jerry Stiller.

BUT, many, many have been done this way without issue and I believe this to be the recommended procedure for removing them, by Stiller. I'm sure a call to Kelbly's would be worthwhile, as their process may vary from Stiller's to some degree.

All in all, I think for things to go wrong, with a clothes type iron that barely gets hot enough for the job...and a little attention to detail, it'd be like breaking an anvil with a rubber hammer....you're gonna have to really work hard at doing it wrong.--Mike

Hot clothes iron

Use an old clothes iron (not your wife's, or you might end up in the dog house) on top of the scope base. It's easiest to have a barrel installed in the action so you can grip the whole rifle solidly in a barrel vise - which makes it easier to hold the rifle level and firmly grab the stock from the bottom and remove once the glue is soft enough. You won't get it hot enough with the clothes iron to ruin the action.

Keep in mind that if the action was truly installed in with glue, it will soften somewhat quickly and the stock will be easily removed. If the action was installed with Devcon or a similar epoxy or resin, you will probably ruin the stock - or at least break up parts of the stock edges at the action cavity before the bond gets soft enough to release.

Don't forget to remove the trigger before doing the job.

Greg Walley
Kelbly's Inc.

Hi! Did it work?
Maybe post before and after photos if you have any.
Thanks in advance!

Use an old clothes iron (not your wife's, or you might end up in the dog house) on top of the scope base. It's easiest to have a barrel installed in the action so you can grip the whole rifle solidly in a barrel vise - which makes it easier to hold the rifle level and firmly grab the stock from the bottom and remove once the glue is soft enough. You won't get it hot enough with the clothes iron to ruin the action.

Don't forget to remove the trigger before doing the job.

Greg Walley
Kelbly's Inc.

And don't forget to secure the stock especially if you are holding the gun by the barrel in something like a barrel vise. Terry Leonard can tell you he gets stocks to repair dings where someone has unglued an action and the stock fell to the floor.

I chickened out!!!!

I ended up calling Mr. Tom Meredith. Since he will be fitting the new stock I decided to have him do the removal as well. I tend to be heavy handed and weighed the expesne of having it done professionally over me possibly damaging something.

Once again I appreciate everone who took the time to respond.

Ryan

I ended up calling Mr. Tom Meredith. Since he will be fitting the new stock I decided to have him do the removal as well. I tend to be heavy handed and weighed the expesne of having it done professionally over me possibly damaging something.

Once again I appreciate everone who took the time to respond.

Ryan

Good decision, you will not regret using TM for the entire job.

If you get it hot enough to have a problem with the insert any stock will be smoking.
Wood will char, epoxy will just break down.

It will release the stench of the infamous 'magic smoke' of electronics.
That is mostly what you are smelling when you burn out an electric component.

Many components are epoxy dipped or potted for physical protection.

Back