Removing a Browning A Bolt Barrel from the action Report

Rustystud

Several months ago I was asked to take on a Browning A Bolt and Install a muzzle brake for the customer.

I was told horror stories by many of Stainless Brownings gaulding up. I spoke to several folks listed as Browning service centers. I was told by Browning That they did not remove barrels off of customers guns that they just replaced them when they encountered problems serious enough to need to remove the barrel. That just pissed me off so I called and got hold of one of the Browning R&D engineers . He told me there was no problem removing the stainless Browning A bolt barrels if the propper wrench and procedures were followed.

I would have set the barrel up through the headstock without removing the action but the barrel was just not long enought.

I considered making an mandrell and turning it center to center.

I bought a Browning A bolt wrench head for my Brownells action wrench.

Two days ago I put the barrel in a barrel vice. I soaked the tenon on both ends and through the scope screw holes with Kroil.

I installed the wrench and to my surprise the action broke loose with a slap of the hand. The threads were well lubed with antiseize and it unscrewed without insident.

I dialed in the barrel and turned and threaded the muzzle. It machined nicely.

After installing the muzzle brake I relubed the threads and put the barrel back into the action without insident.

This action was a 20tpi thread pattern not a 32 tpi pitch as I thought I might run into.

Yes, it could have turned aout to be a disaster but uit did not. I certainly would not hesitate to do another now.

Just thought I would share this with you who have declined doing work on Browning A bolts.

Nat Lambeth

Last edited:
I recently did a muzzlebrake job on a stainless Browning A-Bolt as well...the one I did was a 32 tpi. I'm glad I've never heard any of the horror stories because that may have made me have problems. It was easy, simple, and everything went smoothly. Came apart easier for me than any factory Remington ever has !
--------------Jeff

"I'm glad I've never heard any of the horror stories"
I have them in each thread and have changed barrels and cal's so many times I've almost forgot.I did machine my own adapter to fit my wrench.Most of these "Stories" are pure b.s.

Back