Remington Scopes

jaberegg

As some of you know I wrote an article in Nov of 94 for PS magazine on Remington scopes. Since then I hear from shooters an collectors of these scopes asking for help an information. Well, to make a really long story short I'm working on another article about these scopes because I found an internal adjustment Remington that doesn't look like the others. What I would like is some help from those of you who either have a Remington scope or know where one is. What I need from you is the power, serial number an does it come with Unertl or Remington mounts. Also if you have the black plastic tube, rubber caps or instruction sheet. My plans are to add the power an serial numbers to the article. Thanks for your help.

Jeff Aberegg
jaberegg@charter.net
cell: 979-415-4185

Jeff, Re a Remington BR scope I previously owned. It was 20X and so marked, adjustable objective, one inch tube, black semigloss finish, cross hair reticle, Unertl mounts (so marked) and NO SERIEL NUMBER anywhere on the scope. I remember querying you about where to look for the number and I believe it was supposed to be on the underside of the tube near the ocular end. No number anywhere on the scope just the Remington 20X BR markings up on the objective houseing. The marking said 20X BR or 20X LWBR, I can't recallwhich. I sold the scope to a fellow in Montana, in March 2011, whose name escapes me now. Hope this helps.

Thanks Don. If it said, 20x LWBR that's Lymans Light Weight Bench Rest. Never heard of one converted to external adjustment but, you never know what you find.

Jeff

No it was a Remington. There were'nt any W/E turrets on the tube, only on the rear Unertl mount. The LWBR sign is on the side of the W-E turret on the Lyman scope's plus I don't think there's anything but numbers on the objective houseing. Also, as you said, the Lyman doesn't have external target mounts. Re your article, I doubt I had the only one without a seriel number.

Had one

I had a Remington 40X - 40mm scope. Just a plain cross hair, 1" tube with parallax adjustment on the bell. Couldn't see a serial number on it anywhere. I purchased it new so it wasn't as if the number had worn off. Was in Remington mounts. I'll try and find the instruction manual for it but I sold the scope. Didn't like it much. The image seemed to suffer from flare when the lighting conditions were bright.
Andy.

Thanks Don. If it said, 20x LWBR that's Lymans Light Weight Bench Rest. Never heard of one converted to external adjustment but, you never know what you find.

Jeff

The conversion was after market, I forget who made them, I know I had two sets of them back in the late 70's. Just screwed off the cap and these screwed onto the threads and they where spring loaded so that when you turned the knobs on top a machined part would settle into the grove that was machined into the top of the existing turret.

The serial number, if you turn the scope over 180 degrees in front of the eye piece is stamped the number.

Jeff Aberegg

Back