remington riveted extractor

ndh78

Okay, I give up. I have a heck of a time getting new extractors installed and adjusted properly. How about some pointers or someones technique for this. I know it seems simple but I'm never satisfied with the results.

how bout getting a competent gunsmith to install them.

Okay, I give up. I have a heck of a time getting new extractors installed and adjusted properly. How about some pointers or someones technique for this. I know it seems simple but I'm never satisfied with the results.

Do you have a good "anvil"? I use a homemade anvil made from a 3/8 Allen wrench and have done a number of them w/o any problems. Brownells sells anvils but I wanted one NOW so I made it.
After getting it all setup, I gently tap on the rivet with the ball end of a 2 oz. ball pien hammer that I have. Take your time, many gentle taps will gradually upset the small diameter of the rivet and fill the void as intended.

What exactly are you not satisfied in your experiences?

I have an anvil, and I also install sako extractors. I don't always need or want a sako type. I just have trouble getting good tension on the remington type.

I have an anvil, and I also install sako extractors. I don't always need or want a sako type. I just have trouble getting good tension on the remington type.

I hold my "anvil" in my lathe chuck. It is home made to fit into the face of the bolt with a portion filed away where the hook of the extractor would contact. (basically just turned round to fit the boltface and then filed away) ... this allows the extractor to tighten up on the rivet more easily. I hold the boltface in hard against this "anvil" using a center in the tail stock. Make sure the end of this "anvil" is smooth so the bolt face does not get dinged up... then I slowly rivet away with a small peen and a concave punch...

Its not the rivet peening I have trouble with its getting the extractor to grab the rim. I don't seem to get enough spring, the extractor just kind of lays in there and doesn't snap over the rim very positive.

Its not the rivet peening I have trouble with its getting the extractor to grab the rim. I don't seem to get enough spring, the extractor just kind of lays in there and doesn't snap over the rim very positive.

It sounds like the extractor indent does not fit the rivet indentation correctly... or the extractor should be sprung toward the center a bit more. I have on occasion screwed up the first rivet installation and had to remove it and do it again. The extractor indent must be bottomed out before riveting takes place.

Back