Remington Model 37 Rangemaster questions

J

jmaurer

Hi, I've got a couple questions regarding my Rangemaster. A previous owner did what looks like a poor job of bedding. Looks similar to white epoxy:
http://ultrafreaks.smugmug.com/gallery/7041594_87D57#451015561_3N7vc

Is it worth having it rebedded or best to leave it as-is given that it's a reasonably collectable rifle? I've gotten mixed feedback on other forums in terms of how much should be done (stock refinishing, rebluing, etc). Appreciate any forum wisdom.

I am also trying to locate a 5-shot clip for the rifle, and looking for possible leads.

thanks in advance for your time,
Jeff

37 Remington

Personally I would rebed it, coloring the bedding material to match the stock. 5 shot magazines for the 37 come along every so often, they usually bring a pretty good price, you just have to keep searching. In my opinion the biggest plus to the value of a 37 is to have the original match sights, which it looks like you have. As far as refinishing and rebluing, if it made you happy and was done well I don't think that it would kill the value of the gun, but might reduce the number of potential buyers. Remember this gun is at the minimum 55 years old, was very expensive to buy new and probably used quite a bit. The 37 did not come from the factory with a high polish bluing. Most people that buy 37's just want to own one of the finest smallbore rifles ever made.

I own two rem 37's, love them both, and will never part with either one of them. One is a 13.5 lb that shoots WAY better than I can. (just ask Doug Weeter) I made a switch barrel sporter out of my other one. The .22 barrel is a Border and the second barrel is a Lilja in .17 Mach II. The .17 functions perfectly out of the 5 shot mags that I own.

Any collector value lost by bedding has already been lost in your gun when someone did it the first time. I would go ahead and re-do it if it were mine, the white bedding showing around the action is unsightly.

37's are very nice to bed, and relatively easy compared to many other actions. The large flat area on the bottom of the action gives them tons of bedding area and they can be done rock solid.

Consider using Devcon Steel or Aluminum putty, (black in color) very good stuff and easy to use with at least a 45 minute window to work it before it starts to set up.

As far as refinishing or reblueing, your choice.

If you find a five shot mag for under a "C" note, don't think twice or it wil be gone in a flash.

I absolutely love the Remington 37. They represent workmanship from days long gone.

Joe Cowan

Last edited:
Rangemaster input - thanks!

Great input; just what I was looking for. Reinforces my thought to rebed but not reblue. I believe the 37's were purposely blued with a matte, almost black finish and I think it might be difficult to reblue without losing that stock look. Metal is in pretty good shape anyway, with just a few speckles of rust.

thanks guys, appreciate it.
-jeff

R37

Yes, rebed it with Devcon. This rifle is inherently accurate and was used by the best of the smallbore shooters...pre-Anschutz days. I have two, a full Kenyon with McM bbl and the one attached that I built. Keep it shooting.
-lige

Attachments

• 37ProneGMsmall.jpg
    37ProneGMsmall.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 572
Back