Remington EtronX

Rflshootr

I don't know why buy something just popped in my head making me think...."I wonder why the EtronX rifle didn't make it?"
Primer cost or availability maybe?? Or the lack of a good trigger pull? I remember some complaints about the triggers......

I don't know why buy something just popped in my head making me think...."I wonder why the EtronX rifle didn't make it?"
Primer cost or availability maybe?? Or the lack of a good trigger pull? I remember some complaints about the triggers......

The sucked....plain and simple.

The had a very clever solution to a non existent problem.

Had a friend that tried to use one in competition because of the absence of a firing pin and instant ignition. Trigger pull killed it though and he went back to conventional actions. As far as I know he still has it along with a big supply of primers.

The basic idea of electric ignition has plenty of merit. eliminate the striker assembly and the associated upward lift of the back of the bolt, the uneven bolt lug loading, the momentum effect of accelerating the striker, the mechanical chain of parts involved in allowing the process to happen, etc. Imagine how easy it would be to fire form improved cases without the firing pin forcing the case toward the front of the chamber. The trigger should be easily adjustable down to a negligible weight and be able to set up as 2 stage if desired.

Remington blundered in introducing the concept in a hunting rifle with a "Lawyer trigger". It will take the prospect of a big market to get one of the big names to produce the primers; unlikely at this point. What is needed is high quality electronic primers. The rest of it would not be so difficult.

It is a shame that such an innovation can not be developed in bench rest rifles. I hope that it is just a matter of time.

The basic idea of electric ignition has plenty of merit. eliminate the striker assembly and the associated upward lift of the back of the bolt, the uneven bolt lug loading, the momentum effect of accelerating the striker, the mechanical chain of parts involved in allowing the process to happen, etc. Imagine how easy it would be to fire form improved cases without the firing pin forcing the case toward the front of the chamber. The trigger should be easily adjustable down to a negligible weight and be able to set up as 2 stage if desired.

Remington blundered in introducing the concept in a hunting rifle with a "Lawyer trigger". It will take the prospect of a big market to get one of the big names to produce the primers; unlikely at this point. What is needed is high quality electronic primers. The rest of it would not be so difficult.

It is a shame that such an innovation can not be developed in bench rest rifles. I hope that it is just a matter of time.

I agree that a perfected electronic primer would be a great asset in a Benchrest Rifle. No inertia from the firing pin being released and then suddenly having to stop.

Remington's problem was they were touting all of the benefits of an electronic priming system, but then encorporated it into the same factory barrel, crooked actions, and poor bedding that have a much greater affect on accuracy than the ignition system.

Stan Ware and I had the opportunity to wring out two pre-production EtronX prototypes chambered in 22-250. They shot, very, very well! Honest 3/8"-1/2" 5 shot groups over wind flags....no kidding.

Unfortunately, production units didn't shoot any better than the standard non electronic ignition varmint models.

Wow! Now couple that system with a touch pad, with the sensitivity of a touch screen on a cell phone to replace a trigger as we know it and..................Wow!

Wow! Now couple that system with a touch pad, with the sensitivity of a touch screen on a cell phone to replace a trigger as we know it and..................Wow!

Well, it might be WOW! (I seriously doubt it....) but it would certainly be more believable if they showed actual targets. Voere has always been on the theoretical "computer modeling" bandwagon kinda' like Nikolai trucks.

The folks I know who built BR platforms using the EtronX system weren't impressed. It is my opinion that the over-riding vertical component generated by a conventional trigger may well be the most important part of the accuracy equation.

This whole "trying to eliminate vibration" thing is reminiscent of the constant clamor to "eliminate misalignment and flex" in steel things. It ain't gonna' happen. IMO CONTROL of the vibration cycle is much more important than trying to get rid of it.

opinionby

al

I sure would like to give that Voere system a lap or two around the range. I don't see where they use the same or different trigger or how the trigger fires the laser. If Al is correct you still have a mechanical trigger and haven't solved the whole problem yet. But, I see possibilities.

the thought that crossed my mind when i saw the etronx and caseless ammunition is that it might have been the death of handloading due to components not being available to the public. just a thought

I would be interested in more details of any Etronx benchrest rifles and how they shot. It is an intriguing idea that I have never found the time to try out.

The trigger on mine (unmodified) is adjustable to a nice hunting/pdog (but not BR) weight. I think the rifle's downfall was the ~$1000 higher price. Not many wanted to pay that much extra for a gun that was not more accurate and required batteries. Working the bolt is incredibly easy with no spring to compress. It almost falls down by its own weight.

Back