remington 700 when built?

S

stevelong

Hello, I've read the remington years of mfg. doc that has the barrell codes etc. for 1921-1972........
Used it before, without much questions.
If memory serves, there were 2 codes - - - not 3 or more.
Recently I bought a 700 ADL in .25-'06. S/n 6385XXX.
Barrell codes on left, close to receiver are U R T 97
I'm not sure what this tells.
Do the later ones - after 1972 - have a year code? as in the 97?
Any ideas?
Thanks, Steve Long

rem 700 when built?

ALSO, my rifle bolt is locked when safety is on, must disengaged safety to open.
I know there were some 700's built that can open with safety ON.
FYI,
Steve.

Steve long: I am puzzled about the triple letter code you have on your Remington Rifles barel?
Maybe that first "U" that is stamped there stands for "Union Metallic Cartridge Company (Remington) or maybe it was double stamped for some reason.
Anyway the "R" and the "T" would lead me to believe your Rifle was manufactured in November of 1999.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Last edited:
700 dates

Hi Varmintguy,
so I went to that link you sent, and it goes to more current years than the old one I printed out years ago, which stopped at 1972.
I still am not sure what to do with the U R T 97 that is just in front of receiver on barrell's left side.
What year do you make it, and how are you reading it?
Thanks, Steve Long.

700 REM years

Varmintguy, I see what you mean. Nov. '99 makes sense.
WHEN did they do the J LOCK on bolt shrouds?
MINE-no j-lock........
What about the bolt/safety story?
MY 25-06 needs safety OFF to lift the bolt.
ODD, if built in 1999.....to me.
I had a VLS built 1992 (black tip on stock) .222.....and it's bolt runs with or without safety.
Friend has a couple older BDL Varmints.They need the safety OFF to lift bolt.
At least I think I have this all listed out in the right order.
Can you verify this with a bunch of your 700's of various years?
I've read your posts before & it seems like you have a bunch of 700's.
Thanks, Steve.

Stevelong: Yes I do have a bunch of bolt action Remingtons.
I can answer ONE of your questions right off the bat - the answer is Remington started putting J-locks on their Rifles during the production year 2,000.
I know this because I bought a Remington 700 Classic that year in caliber 223 Remington. The Rifle I bought was on the shelf with several other Remington Classics in 223 Remington caliber and yet the one I chose was the only one without a J-lock on the bolt. 2,000 was the only year the 223 Remington was made (offered) in the 700 Classic series.
This J-lock fad only lasted a couple of years.
I am not sure which year (right off hand) that the Remington 700's changed the trigger mechanism from locking the bolt to allowing the bolt to operate with the safety engaged (in the "ON" position).
I will do some checking and see if I can get clarification of that "change" and when it occurred.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Stevelong: I checked my Remington "Classic" line of Rifles - my Classic in 221 Remington Fireball was made in 2,003, my Classic in 223 Remington was made in 2,000, my Classic in 17 Remington was made in 1,999 and my Classic in 222 Remington was made in 1,993 - they ALL have trigger mechanisms that allow the bolt to operate in the "ON" position - in other words the safety does not lock the bolts on any of these!
Then I went to my oldest Remington 700 Classic and according to my reference material this 7mm Remington Magnum Classic was made only until 1,985. Production started on this caliber in the Classic line in 1,978 the safety does NOT lock the bolt on this Rifle either.
The barrel code on this 7mm Remington Classic indicates it was made in June of 1,984 and it came into my possession in 1,985.
So we have some actual "physical evidence" that the trigger was changed (in regards to its ability to lock the bolt!) prior to 1984!
Don't we?
MANY Remington 700's have had triggers changed (switched?) but I know none of my Classics have had their triggers changed out as I bought them all new!
In fact some gunsmiths prefer to work on or adjust (install!) the older Remington triggers. Maybe somebody changed out your 1,999 trigger for an earlier version or an aftermarket or different brand of trigger?
Did YOU buy your 25/06 new?
Could the trigger have been changed before you owned it?
Are we getting the correct reading of the barrel code off of your barrel?
Something is amiss there as I have the above mentioned 700's that do not lock the bolt and some of them are older than your 1,999 25/06.
We'll get it figured out!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Hello fellas,

Did a little digging, and along with your digging, may have come up with the proper date.

I have a M700 7mm RM adl A635xxxx.
Locking bolt safety. I like this feature, keeps bolt secured closed.
Date of manuf, 9-'76?

Yours is _638xxxx, locking bolt safety.

Locking safeties are pre 3-'82. If original to rifle.

Link to locking safeties;
http://www.remington.com/safety/safety_center/safety_modification_program/model_700.asp

This might place you rifle date of manuf on 11-'70. However, if it does, then it appears the serial numbers are not progressive.

I don't know about the U or the 97.

Longshooter

My Remington book shows no prefix letters on serial# until Aug of 1978. Introduced in 69-70 they had the longer bolt shroud that covered most of the cocking piece, jeweled bolt, black plastic butt plate, and a redesigned safety lever. Serial#s 6200000-6899999 were from 11-28-1968to8-24-75.
Butch

let me jump in here !!

I think the non locking safety was added about 1980 or so,but you have an older rifle as it has no letter in front of the serial #.I don't know what the U is,as i don't think it's part of the barrel code,nor is the 97.I agree with butch as i think it was made or at least the barrel was stamped in nov. 1970

Last edited:
Butch Lambert: If I might inquire (because I want to buy one) what is the name of your Remington reference book?
Thanks in advance
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Hello, I've read the remington years of mfg. doc that has the barrell codes etc. for 1921-1972........
Used it before, without much questions.
If memory serves, there were 2 codes - - - not 3 or more.
Recently I bought a 700 ADL in .25-'06. S/n 6385XXX.
Barrell codes on left, close to receiver are U R T 97
I'm not sure what this tells.
Do the later ones - after 1972 - have a year code? as in the 97?
Any ideas?
Thanks, Steve Long

My guess is that you have an early action as stated by the other posters, but who ever owned it before shot it out as a 25.06 and had it rebarreled with a take off barrel (factory) for a custom project. At the dates mentioned in other posts ( mid to late 90's ), this was rather common. Still can find em today.

Upon request/return to the factory,Remington would install a bolt lock safety on an unmolested rifle/trigger group,free of charge.
Bolt Lock safety levers were available in the early flat knob style & the standard round knob.

D prefix & later serial numbered receiver bolt bodies do not have the machine cut under the bolt handle to facilitate the use of the bolt lock safeties.

Current production serial number prefix letter is G as per barrel coded new in box rifles received last week.

The ISS/J lock was the interim fix until the X Mark Pro trigger group came out in 2006.

Last edited:
Back