remington 700 action?????

skeetlee

I was hoping someone could clear up a little info for me pertaining to a rem 700 bolt action, and there feed ramps. I may buy a rem 700 varmint in 223 from a friend of mine, and if i do i am not so sure i will leave it a 223. I haven't ever been particularly found of the 223, and i have a deep desire to own a 22-250ai. i was hoping i could buy a second bolt from kiff with a 308 bolt face. Were i need the help or clarification is that i once read that you cant use a 308 bolt in an action that came with a 223 bolt size bolt face. Something about the feed ramps being different or something?? So i need to know if i can put a 308 bolt in this action if i purchase it? I dont probably want to change anything permanent on this 223 bolt as the barrel thats on the rifle shoots very well now that i have cut some of it off and re-crowned it. I thought i might just open the bolt face thats on it but like i said i hate to change this bolt, plus i am sure i would have to have a new extractor installed so it might just be better to buy a hole new bolt from kiff? I dont know. I haven't ever played around much like this with these actions. thanks Lee

The bolts interchange and single feed will work, the factory magazine will not. The 'rails' on a .223 are too close to allow a 308 case to pass, the 'rails' of a .308 are too wide to retain a .223 case.

It doesn't make economical sense to buy a .223 to make a 308 based rifle...

So we are just talking about a 15$ follower then? thats not a big deal. i thought there was an issue with the feed ramp or something like that. If i do this it will be a switch barrel hunting/prairie dog rifle. thanks Lee

It works great if you only load one at a time. I switch from large bolt face and back to small bolt face often. I have an extra Remington bolt and a PTG bolt. Obviously I have to reset head-space every time I change barrels, but you have to do that anyway.

I block off the magazine - so only can load one at a time.

KG

If you are still looking for a 308 bolt, I have a few, three I think, bolt bodys only with extractors, no ejector or firing pin assembly but you could use that stuff from your old bolt. Email me if you are interested. I think I have extra magazine boxes, followers and springs also.

Jim

Jkob60@msn.com

Last edited:
I happen to have a few actions lying around waiting for barrels so I snapped a pic for those who might be curious. Besides the width difference point for timing the round when it pops out of the mag, note the 308 has a bevel on the rails and on the top of the action an ejection relief.

rem_700_223_on_bottom_vs_308_on_top.JPG

If i end up with this rifle i think ill leave it as it is. Its shooting really well after i recrowned it anyway. I shortened the barrel buy about 4 inches and cut a nice crown, and now it really shoots well! I think an old remington 40x stock with a single shot floor follower would be ideal. Heck i might even buy it and give it to my dad as a gift. As far as the 308 bolt. Over on snipers hide they have a group buy on stiller actions so i picked up a new stiller tac30 repeater with a 308 bolt for 760 bucks shipped. Kinda hard to beat that. I will do my 22-250AI project with this action. I have wanted a 22-250AI for over two years, so now its time!! I appreciate the help fellas as always. This is a good group of fellas to say the least. I would like to ask if anyone has a spare Remington 40x stock you could part with? I would be interested in that. I know i can get one at Numrich, but with those you just dont always know what kind of shape the stock will be in when it arrives. thanks again, Lee

Back