Remington 6 1/2 small rifle primers

P

Prelude 2.0

Anyone know if a LGS or large store in greater Las Vegas area carries Remington 6 1/2 small rifle primers. I can't find them in Honolulu. I'll be be traveling to L. V. and be there for one week, starting August 28, 2012. Thanks.

What's the application? Can't use the Remington 7 1/2 Bench Rest small rifle primers?

dangerous

What's the application? Can't use the Remington 7 1/2 Bench Rest small rifle primers?

The application is VERY important for the Remington 6 1/2. A friend of mine was using them in a .223 and didn't understand why he was always getting blown primers. They were even blowing in his lowly .221 fireball. When we found the warning on every tray, he stopped using them and started using the proper Remington primer (the 7 1/2). I'm surprised Remington is still making the 6 1/2 because of liability issues. I'm sure my friend is not the only one who didn't notice the fine print warning. He destroyed two Remington .223 bolts and is lucky he didn't get hurt.

That's why I asked Prelude 2.0 [who resides in my city of birth, beautiful Honolulu] what his application is.

Sportsmans Warehouse ususally has them in stock in my part of the world.

Question - I see that you are from Hawaii, is the airline going to let you fly with them? You may be better off ordering some from Powder Valley or one of the other on-line retailers.

drover

I have the same question drover has, will an airline allow you to pack primers in your luggage to fly them back to Hawaii? If you stash them in your luggage and TSA finds them and they will you'll be in deep doo doo. If you're loading for a Hornet or other similar low pressure round you might want to consider another primer rather than get crossways with the government over primers in your luggage.

For many years through much of the 1970's and 80's the 6 1/2 "small rifle" primer was commonly the only Remington rifle primer that was available to me at all the area gunshops. At that time I preferred the Remington name to the only other common name available out there which was the CCI 400. To an unsuspecting young handloader of a rudimentary "RCBS" or "Lee Loader" mentality which I was, I wasn't even aware of the existence of the 7 1/2 primer.

I don't know why Remington insists on maintaining that sought of confusion to this day (I dare call it culpable deception?) when the problem can easily be avoided by simply relabeling the 6 1/2 primer what it is; "Hornet, Small Rifle"!! Without a neat stack of the 7 1/2 "rifle primer" sitting on the shelf next to a row of 6 1/2 "rifle primer", it's much too easy for this mishap to occur......and the stores are only too happy to oblige if that's the only primer that the Remington Corporation ever seems to have available in stock for them. No, I realize it's not the job of the salesperson to quiz you about your hand loading intents..... when it's just easier to look the other way and empty the shelf knowing full well that the majority of folks are buying buying that thin skinned "rifle primer" in error. (yea, right.....they just think everybody reloads for the 22 Hornet and Winchester Bee!)

Because the Hornet doesn't..........

need that high a primer pressure, to ignite that small a charge. :eek:

That primer, the 6-1/2, will also work very nicely in many of the .222-based cartridges, where one is using a slow cast bullet or a reduced velocity jacketed bullet load, that likes a small charge where powder position in the case may not be important (Titewad and Titegroup powders come to mind) a primer such as the 6-1/2may be just the ticket for a low-noise situation where there's no need to get the neighbors excited or the police interested. ;)
Now, when the .222 became popular for purposes such as BR and Varminting, guys started to run into primers getting pierced, and then Remington answered the problem with the heavier cup on the 7-1/2 primer. If you want to see some graphic photos of primer performance, go to German A. Salazar's website, "The Rifleman's Journal", and look for his article on primers, both large and small, HERE: http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/2009/06/primers-small-rifle-primer-study.html
This will give you a better idea as to the power of the 7-1/2 and 9-1/2 primers. I particularly like the 9-1/2s if I have to load for the .243 Win.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
BEWARE it may not be whats in the box.

I bought some 7 1/2 br primers, 1000, 2 years ago. After using some I noticed all the small boxes were marked 6 1/2 not 7 1/2 like the brick box was.
I looked them up on the Remington site and they said they were to be used for small capacity cases like the hornet.

Back several years ago, when primers where scarce, I bought a flat of them (5000), not realizing that I couldn't use them in my .223 and if anybody wants them, I would like to sell or trade them for small rifle primers that I can use.

need that high a primer pressure, to ignite that small a charge. :eek:

That primer, the 6-1/2, will also work very nicely in many of the .222-based cartridges, where one is using a slow cast bullet or a reduced velocity jacketed bullet load, that likes a small charge where powder position in the case may not be important (Titewad and Titegroup powders come to mind) a primer such as the 6-1/2may be just the ticket for a low-noise situation where there's no need to get the neighbors excited or the police interested. ;)
Now, when the .222 became popular for purposes such as BR and Varminting, guys started to run into primers getting pierced, and then Remington answered the problem with the heavier cup on the 7-1/2 primer. If you want to see some graphic photos of primer performance, go to German A. Salazar's website, "The Rifleman's Journal", and look for his article on primers, both large and small, HERE: http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/2009/06/primers-small-rifle-primer-study.html
This will give you a better idea as to the power of the 7-1/2 and 9-1/2 primers. I particularly like the 9-1/2s if I have to load for the .243 Win.
Hope this helps.

Not long ago the internet was abuzz with recommendation to use SMALL PISTOL primers in the HORNET.

Many shooters responded that they work better than the rifle variety. Seems the pistol variety dont get the bullet moving before the powder is lit.

Back