Remingto 700 LA receiver question

tazzman

Remington 700 LA receiver question

Good evening,

I own a Remington Classic in 7mm Rem mag. Bought it in mid 80s. It has, at the left rear part of the receiver, two threaded and capped screwholes spaced approx. 1 inch apart at 9 o'clock. Does anyone know what Reminton intended to install there?:confused:

Tazzman

Last edited:
Tazz.
A redfield reciever sight and other brands attach there.

Chuck.

Tazzman,

This was done until '82, per Lacy's 700 book.

Good shooting!:cool:

to piggyback on other posts

they were correct. it is for aperture sights like the redfield and lyman. shotgunners have used this concept with the ghost ring sights for tactical shot guns.
FYI: target acquision is the fastest with an aperature rear sight and post front sight as the eye naturally centers the front sight when looking thru a ring. untill the red dot sights were invented there were no peers for fast accurate close work, like a charging cape buffalo or a thug intending bodily harm to you.

just a little iron sight trivia. Fred

700 screws

So what can you use the the screws for today?
Laser rangefinder
Inclinometer
3 watt LED white light
3 watt IR laser illuminator
llluminated viewer with custom ballistic charts
GPS unit
video camera
night vision auxillary scope
cell phone
Air density guage
ballistic computer
scintillation anemometer (to measure downrange cross wind)
Combined unit will all of the above. Maybe NcStar will sell them on ebay for under $500 in a few years.

Or you can still get metallic sights.

No doubt AR lovers will screw on an extra Picatinny rail.

You forgot one of the "aftermarket" bolt stops that vary from crude to cute!:D

Good shooting!

Didn't know...

Hi everyone,

Just been reading your responses. Didn't know that those two mounting points could be so versatile :D

I found out that Centra makes a sight that fits. Big bucks :( And then you install a front sight, more big bucks :(

Do you know of any more sight manufacturers that provide a redfield mount compatible sight :confused:

Of course, I could just keep the glass and shoot it as it was originally intended ;) Not! We always want to improve something, don't we? Make it our own, the only kid on the block, etc...

I'll be reading :cool:

Good evening,

I own a Remington Classic in 7mm Rem mag. Bought it in mid 80s. It has, at the left rear part of the receiver, two threaded and capped screwholes spaced approx. 1 inch apart at 9 o'clock. Does anyone know what Reminton intended to install there?:confused:

Tazzman

Actually all Remington ever intended to install there was the two plugs screws that came installed. I have never seen or heard of anything else in those holes on a new rifle from Remington. :D

Some people have been known to install receiver sights though.

Remington discontinued manufacturing the actions with those holes to the disappointment of a few people...

Here is an example of an aftermarket drilling and tapping job that I received for repair.

bubba%20700.jpg

There have probably been worse cases of gun mutilation but I've never seen one. That's disgusting.

There are a number of match rifle rear sights - PNW, RPA, Phoenix, Warner - to name a few. These are designed for target shooting; they're too bulky & delicate for hunting use. Accuracy with a good set of match irons on paper bullseye targets would probably astound most shooters who're unfamiliar with NRA HP shooting.

However, a scope gives several times better target definition in just about any other situation. So, aside from close range shooting at dangerous game, there's not much reason to fit a rear aperture sight, especially since it would most likely conflict with a rear scope base when mounted using the holes in the rear bridge like your 700 has.

look in brownells catalog= they have a couple of hunting type sights- williams-lyman that will work =redfield is out of the metallic sight business- most of these will require some wood removal to install

Thanks for all the responses. This rifle project is still in the thought phase. Roughly, long action, heavy varmint barrel, micrometer peep sights, adjustable stock, caliber still to be determined.
One last question before I put this aside for a while: I have a set of Anschutz peep sights. Are they rugged enough for what I'm planning?
Any thoughts on what I've just written, suggestions or personal experience on your project rifles, if any?

Cheers,
Tazzman

There have probably been worse cases of gun mutilation but I've never seen one. That's disgusting.

I once saw what would have been a very nice old Savage 99EG that had been drilled and tapped for a scope base by a guy who fancied himself a gunsmith. Even had a shop and a sign. He drilled about half a dozen holes in that receiver, none in line with the centerline of the receiver, or each other. They looked like they'd been done without benefit of a drill press/milling machine or anything else to drill nice straight holes while the action was held in a vise.

whoever did that to that rifle should be tracked down and bludgeoned to death with it.

Back