Rem RX-100

Joe S

Anyone have any experiance with one of these?
Any thoughts on them at all?
They are supposed to be a Rem XP-100 variant with a M40X trigger

I`m looking at one and the rifle looks like a nice start for a informal target/varmit rifle. The 204 isn`t my favorite cartridge but there is always the 6x47 option later on if it doesn`t impress me...

Just remember the 204 Ruger and the 6x47 Laupa have a have different boltfaces. I have shot a few of the XP-100s. Nice little rifles. Luck, Tim

Tim are you sure about the boltface?
I am under the impression both cartridges are built off the 223 cartridge and have a .378" base diameter.

I have 4 of them .204, .22 PPC Pac-Nor barrel, 22-250 factory barrel, and 22-250 Pac-Nor barrel.
The inside of the .204 is bad looking but it will shoot 39 gr. Sierra bullets in 1/2 inch groups, good enough for prarie dogs.
The PPC was a .223 which I never shot, and I haven't had time to work with.
The 22-250 factory barrel is unfired and hope to be rebarreled to 6X47 Lapua by spring.
The 22-250 Pac-Nor barrel is rebarreled from a factory 22-250, the original barrel looked good for a factory barrel but wouldn't hit the
proverbial bull in the A.
The "so called" 40X style trigger is not any better than a factory 700 trigger right out of the box. I tried to improve the triggers on the
rifles I am shooting, gave up and put Jewell triggers in.
I like the single shot action and those that I have feed well.
I would buy another for the right price knowing I had to rebarrel it and put a different trigger in.

Joe you are right the 6x47 is the same bolt face as a 223. The 6x47 is the 222 Rem mag opened up to 6mm. The 6x47 Lapua is a different case all together. 308 bolt face

I have one in 223. Nice accurate rifle out of the box. firing pin fit in bolt is a little sloppy and probably should be bushed.

Roger Q.

I forgot to mention bushing the firing pin on the PPC and the rebarreled 22-250. The .204 needs it as it will blank a Win. primer occasionally.

Thanks for the replies.
Everything I`ve been hearing about these has been pretty much positive so far, I`m going to take a chance on this one. The rifle looks to be as NIB although it is being sold as used. The stock feels comfortable and the gun is not going to be carried far so weigth isn`t a big concideration. I`ve no experiance with the 204 cartridge, so it will be a learning experiance if nothing else.

I use Benchmark powder, Win. primer, and Hornady 40 gr. VMax or Sierra 39 gr. Blitzking. It did not like any of the 32 gr. bullets I tried. All is assembled using a Redding Competition Bushing Neck Die Set.
You will be surprised how flat it shoots.

Tim are you sure about the boltface?
I am under the impression both cartridges are built off the 223 cartridge and have a .378" base diameter.

Jeff and you are right. The old 6x47 is a 0.378". I was referring to the necked down 6.5x47 Laupa to make a 6x47 L that is somewhat popular. Luck with your build, Tim

JoeS: The 204 Ruger has earned its place as "my favorite cartridge", of all time!
And I have actively been shooting centerfire cartridges for more than 53 years now.
The 204 Ruger cartridge is just an outstanding performer both ballistically and lethality wise on all manner of Varmints!
I currently own 6 Varmint type Rifles in caliber 204 Ruger and would not even consider selling or trading any of them off. All six of them provide way above "average" accuracy for factory Rifles.
Two of my six 204's are indeed in the Model XR-100, I also own a Remington 40XBR-KS in factory chambered 6x47, it indeed is an accurate and impressive Rifle.
But in the Varmint fields the 204 Ruger easily outperforms the 6x47.
I say buy the XR-100 in 204 Ruger and give it some time in the Varmint fields and at the range and you will almost certainly change your errant impression of the caliber!
If you don't like the XR-100 they are strong sellers on the used market.
Best of luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

VarmintGuy Thanks. It is good to know the rifle should have potenial and the cartridge is possibly more then I thought.
I put a shekel or two down on it last weekend and am going to give it a try as is. The cartridge isn`t something I`m totally against if I gave you that impression. I just have extreemly limited exposer to it and it seems the majority around here jump on hot 22s for hunting or the 6mms for target. I`m not going to toss it out for another cartridge without giving it a chance to show me what it can do ;-)

The old 6x47 is a 0.378". I was referring to the necked down 6.5x47 Laupa to make a 6x47 L that is somewhat popular. Luck with your build, Tim

Much more popular these days than the 6x47 of 25 years ago, I even shoot a couple necked up to 30 cal.

Back