Rem 700 firing pin bushing?

Pete Wass

Thinking about having my Rem 700's firing pins bushed for a smaller pin size. The only person I have found who advertises isn't taking any new work. Are there others out there who do this?

Thanks,

Pete

Pete, if Greg Tannel (Gre-Tan) isn't doing it any longer, there's a 'smith on accurateshooter.com that goes by the name of 'Carlsbad' that does a lot of these. He has quite a few satisfied customers. I know you can contact him there via a P.M.

Good shootin'. -Al

Last edited:
Greg's site

Pete, if Greg Tannel (Gre-Tan) isn't doing it any longer, there's a 'smith on accurateshooter.com that goes by the name of Carlsbad (his first name is Tim) that does a lot of these. He has quite a few satisfied customers. I know you can contact him there via a P.M.

Good shootin'. -Al

Says he is not taking any new work because he has more then he can do. I'll check the other guy out. Thanks.

Pete, if Greg Tannel (Gre-Tan) isn't doing it any longer, there's a 'smith on accurateshooter.com that goes by the name of Carlsbad (his first name is Tim) that does a lot of these. He has quite a few satisfied customers. I know you can contact him there via a P.M.

Good shootin'. -Al

Pete, Al's advice is good. Carlsbad does good work.

do I get in touch with him please?

Thanks.

he is on Accurate shooter. Here was his instructions to me.

If you want to have it done, ship with check for $90 for rem or savage, $100 for others to:
Jerry Stephenson
2604B El Camino Real #221
Carlsbad, CA 92008

hope that helps
Dave

It is said

Why do you have the need of a smaller firing pin? What do you feel you will gain?

a smaller firing pin helps to prevent primer catering and piercing. Rem 700's come with a .075" thick pin, the prescribed pin measures .065". Greg Tennel has a video up on youtube about this process with a cut away bolt. Part of the process is extending the bushing further back into the bolt for more support I think. Both my 700's definitely crater primers and pierce them if the loads are on the hot side. I took the pin out of my custom action's bolt and it is .065". If one looks out the window and everyone id running down the street in the same direction, it's probably not a coincidence. :)

I think the mod is worth doing.

Pete

Last edited:
Thanks

he is on Accurate shooter. Here was his instructions to me.

If you want to have it done, ship with check for $90 for rem or savage, $100 for others to:
Jerry Stephenson
2604B El Camino Real #221
Carlsbad, CA 92008

hope that helps
Dave

appreciate the help.

Pete

" I took the pin out of my custom action's bolt and it is .065."

Pete if I understand it right the mod takes it down to .065 did you mean to say yours was .075 instead as I am now abit confused myself.

With all due respect,

when I asked the question, there was no mention of a problem with the rifle. The post after my question revealed that the rifle was having problems with "hot loads". I understand the concept of bushing the firing pin hole but, even in the Gre-tan video he cautions that the reason to do this is not to shoot high pressure loads. You should keep the loads safe.

Loads often have to be on the hotter side to achieve the very best in Benchrest accuracy. And that typically does not make them unsafe but is what is actually required. That and the serious folks competing in the sport are extremely knowledgeable of what it is they are actually doing.

Just to dovetail on this a bit...make sure how the bushing/pin turning is going to be accomplished.

Stan Ware had a 700 come in that had been bushed and the pin diameter reduced at another shop. The bushing had fallen out and the firing pin tip looked like 10 miles of bad road.

As it turns out, the bushing didn't have enough depth and the pin tip was being retracted behind the back wall of the bushing when it was cocked. As the pin came forward, it didn't have any guiding means other than the fit of the pin assy. to I.D. of the bolt....so the pin tip banged around on the back of the bushing before going through the hole. After enough banging around, the bushing got knocked loose from the LocTite retaining it and out it came.

Stan did a threaded 't' shaped bushing and fitted it to the bolt face. The 't' shape provided a guide for the pin tip. I remember he cut a short straight section along a section where it was originally tapered and made that area and the pin tip about .003 smaller than the pin hole.

Problem solved and the gun shot like crazy after that.

FWIW. -Al

Last edited:
I had a custom action

Just to dovetail on this a bit...make sure how the bushing/pin turning is going to be accomplished.

Stan Ware had a 700 come in that had been bushed and the pin diameter reduced at another shop. The bushing had fallen out and the firing pin tip looked like 10 miles of bad road.

As it turns out, the bushing didn't have enough depth and the pin tip was being retracted behind the back wall of the bushing when it was cocked. As the pin came forward, it didn't have any guiding means other than the fit of the pin assy. to I.D. of the bolt....so the pin tip banged around on the back of the bushing before going through the hole. After enough banging around, the bushing got knocked loose from the LocTite retaining it and out it came.

Stan did a threaded 't' shaped bushing and fitted it to the bolt face. The 't' shape provided a guide for the pin tip. I remember he cut a short straight section along a section where it was originally tapered and made that area and the pin tip about .003 smaller than the pin hole.

Problem solved and the gun shot like crazy after that.

FWIW. -Al

way back that happened to. The pin got bent "somehow" . The maker fixed it.

Pete

a smaller firing pin helps to prevent primer catering and piercing. Rem 700's come with a .075" thick pin, the prescribed pin measures .065". Greg Tennel has a video up on youtube about this process with a cut away bolt. Part of the process is extending the bushing further back into the bolt for more support I think. Both my 700's definitely crater primers and pierce them if the loads are on the hot side. I took the pin out of my custom action's bolt and it is .065". If one looks out the window and everyone id running down the street in the same direction, it's probably not a coincidence. :)

I think the mod is worth doing.

Pete

As an alternative and a cheap experiment one can do quite well improving .075” dia pins by simply polishing the tip to a mirror finish. Inspect it with magnification and make sure no radial imperfections are left behind. You just might be surprised what this can do for you.

That sounds interesting

As an alternative and a cheap experiment one can do quite well improving .075” dia pins by simply polishing the tip to a mirror finish. Inspect it with magnification and make sure no radial imperfections are left behind. You just might be surprised what this can do for you.

I'll give er a try this week.

Thanks,

Pete

Back