Rem 700 action question

Ben,
The reason the 6.5x55 is perceived to be about the same as a 260 Rem/6.5x08 is that published loading data all takes the age of the M96 Mauser into account. As I'm sure you're aware, over the past 40+yrs., thousands of surplus Swedish Mausers have been imported, and there's always been at least the perception that they're not as strong as more modern commercial actions.

Put a good custom barrel in 6.5x55 on your M700, and you can load the cartridge to its potential, which is a little faster than a 260, as the Swede has more case capacity. Modern 6.5x55 brass is every bit as strong as any of the other cases being produced. The only consideration is that, with Lapua, RWS, or Norma 6.5x55 brass, you'll probably need a #2 (RCBS reference #) shellholder, as most of the European 6.5x55 brass I've worked with won't fit a #3 shellholder. OTOH, R-P brass will fit a #3, while WW is about a 50/50 deal.

Another plus in favor of the 6.5x55 is that you can load it down a bit should you need or desire to do so without sacrificing accuracy, while the 6.5x284 probably won't be as forgiving in that regard.

Last edited:
I'll throw in a suggestion ---

How about a .270?

Its a great cartridge.
You already have all the tools for reloading.
Its likely that you'll get all the accuracy you can expect out of any "hunting rifle".
You can get lots of brass and bullets most anywhere.
You can buy ammo most anywhere that sells rifle ammo.

A carefully done .270 will give very, very fine accuracy and perform like the old time champ that it is. It didn't get its reputation from being less than spectacular. With all the tricks done on the action, a custom barrel and a great stock job you'll have as fine a rifle as anyone could want.

I've already got one, plus that's the caliber on the action I'm using for my next build. I think in post #13 I said I already have a 270 (besides this one I bought as the donner rifle). As for buying ammo, I've never bought a box of center fire bullets. I bought a Marlin 336C 30-30 in 1965 and they gave me a box of bullets with it and that's the only factory load I've ever shot.

It's going to be a 6.5mm something. I'm still leaning heavily to it being the 6.5x284, however the 6.5x55 looks pretty good when start cranking the pressures up to that of the newer 6.5's. The 6.5x06 looks good to but that's about the same as the 284.

Matter of fact, I almost made my granddaughter's 260 a 6.5x55. One of the main things that swayed me to the 260 was the fact she is only 13 and who knows where she will be as years go by and if she will still be reloading. With the 260 she at least has a chance of going to a store and buying a box of 260's. I know it's a slim chance, but at least it's more of a chance than the 6.5x55's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why has the 260

Remington been such a Dog? I have heard several people say the 260's they bought wouldn't shoot for beans. Did Remington put the wrong twist barrels on them? I have never heard anyone say they had a tack driver.

Not sure what the Remingtons barrels will do, I'm not using one of theirs. Her's is a McGowen barrel and they are doing all the accurizing to the receiver and installing the barrel. I've had a number of people say their 260's shot 1/4" groups and smaller at 100 yds.

Chub Eastman

of nosler had Darrell Holland make a 6.5-280AI several years ago which he uses for deer. in my opinion is an interesting cartridge. for dies use the redding competition 280AI dies with a 6.5 button. i believe one could get very close to 264 win velocitys in a non belted system. just food for thought. Fred

Remington been such a Dog? I have heard several people say the 260's they bought wouldn't shoot for beans. Did Remington put the wrong twist barrels on them? I have never heard anyone say they had a tack driver.

I helped my oldest son build a .260 for a deer rifle. We threw a load together for it and took it out and shot it. It's easily shooting under 1/2". We never have worked up a load for it, just shot in it what we had originally loaded. It has a Benchmark 8 twist #5 fluted barrel in a McMillan new model Remington varmint stock. Don't remember what load we're using in it, but have necked up Lapua .243 Winchester brass for it as we had a hard time finding any .260 brass.

I am surprised

the 6.5 hasn't been tried more at 300 Yd benchrest. That should be a far enough distance to where VDL bbullets would make a difference, no?

I found two pieces of 6.8 Rem spc brass at the range the other day. I went on line this morning and read about the case. It's interesting that they stepped over the 6.5, isn't it?

Ben,

Hunting rifle.....I put together a 6.5x284 on a stainless 700 that started life as a 270 win. #7 Krieger 8 twist, with Kiff's "norma match reamer" (.297 neck), and shoot the long vlds and smk's. The bbl weighs in at 5.5 lbs, and by no means light. No action work, just bedded it.

Here's a pic..

Ben

Attachments

• DSC00767.JPG
    DSC00767.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 206
... If I build a 6.5 284, using a 24" - 26" medium weight varmit barrel weighing approx 5 pounds, will it shoot .25" or better five shot groups at 100 yards? .....

The 6.5-284 is capable of shooting .25" or better five shot groups. However, it depends upon what kind of stock you put it in, what kind of trigger you use with it, what kind of scope you use with it, what kind of bullets you put in it, etc. If you build a long range benchrest rifle using a McMillan MBR, Shehane stock or similar, 2 ounce benchrest trigger, high powered target scope, yes, they can shoot 1/4" or better. If you build it on a sporter stock with a hunting weight trigger and hunting type scope, you might get a 1/4" group occasionally. Hunting stocks, heavy triggers and lower powered scopes make the rifle harder to shoot consistently.

I've already got one, plus that's the caliber on the action I'm using for my next build. I think in post #13 I said I already have a 270 (besides this one I bought as the donner rifle). As for buying ammo, I've never bought a box of center fire bullets. I bought a Marlin 336C 30-30 in 1965 and they gave me a box of bullets with it and that's the only factory load I've ever shot.

It's going to be a 6.5mm something. I'm still leaning heavily to it being the 6.5x284, however the 6.5x55 looks pretty good when start cranking the pressures up to that of the newer 6.5's. The 6.5x06 looks good to but that's about the same as the 284.

Matter of fact, I almost made my granddaughter's 260 a 6.5x55. One of the main things that swayed me to the 260 was the fact she is only 13 and who knows where she will be as years go by and if she will still be reloading. With the 260 she at least has a chance of going to a store and buying a box of 260's. I know it's a slim chance, but at least it's more of a chance than the 6.5x55's.

Go for it and don't look back.... Get a 8 or 8.5 twist 5c Broughton, Krieger, Rock, etc stainless barrel for it, no turn reamer, bed it in a HTG Mcmillan stock 4-16 or 6.5x20 scope....etc etc. Cut the chamber with a little headspace, put the VLD's in touching or a little jam, H4831...and you will not be disappointed.

Ben

6.5-284 on a hunting rig

I think the 6.5-284 is a great round for a lighter barrel hunting rig. I built my brother one with a Shilen #5 contour on a savage action. (No I did not leave the nut on) It is on the factory laminated stock and it shoots very well (for hunting accuracy). I am just now working up the loads but it is easily keeping under .5". Most of the time better but with a 3X9 scope and old eyes I do not expect much more. You can ask Darryl how it shoots once I turn it over (If I turn it over...I'm starting to get attached)

Kris Whitman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0CrWCImd88

I Took this 6,5x284 to a friends ranch in S.TX, shot 17 does, several hogs and a few coyote with it. Deer all head/neck shots, out to 300 and change. Shot one coyote at 550 yards with it. Shoots fine. After I finished the build, I sighted it at 100 with 140 SMK's coated. 100 yards one small hole 5 shots. Stretched it to 425 yards (longest dirt pile at the ranch) shot two 5 shot groups around 1"-1.5", with 3/4" of vertical. Nathan shot a similar group. I find that the long 6.5mm bullet penetrates very well due to its length. I would not hesitate to take a moose or bear with it. I was in Norway a couple weeks ago during the moose season, and they use a lot of 6.5mm rifles.

Back