Reloading the 6ppc

S

southj

Thanks to the advice of the fellows on this site...I have a LV 6PPC rifle on order and I am in the process of getting the reloading tools bought.

I plan to buy the brass prepped by Hoehn. Couldn't find Federal Primers so I bought Remington 7 1/2s, Bart's Ultra 68 bullets, and LT 32 powder.

I am considering buying Redding series S dies with a neck sizer w/ three bushings, body die, and bullet seating die with an integrated micrometer. Are these the dies I need for reloading at home ? Don't want to load at the range for now. As an alternative would I be better off to send some of my once fired brass to Harrell to have a custom FL sizing die made....If I go that route who would you suggest to make the seating die ?

Also looking at the Forster case trimmer, Harrell 60 gr powder measure.....haven't picked a press yet.

I would appreciate feedback as to these products and recommendations on other tools I might need.

If you haven't yet, either go on-line or get a printed catalog from Sinclair. That'll show you all kinds of options for your tools. I'm not a great shooter so I'm hesitant to give you recommendations as I'm sure that the good shooters will chime in. I use Sinclair and Harrell presses for sizing, Harrell sizer dies. Arbor press for bullet seating w/JLC and Wilson dies. I have Dodd and Harrell powder measures along with the RCBS Chargemaster. Wilson trimmer for case length. Neck turning tools from K&M, 21st Century, PMA and Neilson. There's a whole lot of other stuff and the Sinclair catalog will give you an idea of how fast this sport can suck money out of your wallet. That said I've got seven UPS and USPS shipments of shooting stuff scheduled for delivery this week.

buy everything from K&M, Wilson nk size and seater die, wilson trimmer and you are good to go.

I have never full sized my brass, shot 30+ times and still like new.

Your not shooting a very stiff load if you haven't fl sized in 30 firings. Not the norm for sure. I would buy a harrels fl size die if I were the op

Yes you would be better off sending 3 fired cases to Lynwood Harrell so he can send the correct die. You also will not go wrong with his powder measure; the 60 grain is fine for small cases like the PPC. The 120 grain works just as well for small cases and allows you to throw larger loads if you also load any larger cartridges. Any good press will work, if you were to get a portable Harrell press, when you do decide to load at the range you will be ahead, but you could also start with an RCBS partner press. I still see them at matches regularly.

Scott

Last edited:
Thanks to the advice of the fellows on this site...I have a LV 6PPC rifle on order and I am in the process of getting the reloading tools bought.

I plan to buy the brass prepped by Hoehn. Couldn't find Federal Primers so I bought Remington 7 1/2s, Bart's Ultra 68 bullets, and LT 32 powder.

I am considering buying Redding series S dies with a neck sizer w/ three bushings, body die, and bullet seating die with an integrated micrometer. Are these the dies I need for reloading at home ? Don't want to load at the range for now. As an alternative would I be better off to send some of my once fired brass to Harrell to have a custom FL sizing die made....If I go that route who would you suggest to make the seating die ?

Also looking at the Forster case trimmer, Harrell 60 gr powder measure.....haven't picked a press yet.

I would appreciate feedback as to these products and recommendations on other tools I might need.

OK..... I'm going to address ONLY YOUR POST. This does not relate in any way to other replies.

Good choices all.

I am considering buying Redding series S dies with a neck sizer w/ three bushings, body die, and bullet seating die with an integrated micrometer. Are these the dies I need for reloading at home ? Don't want to load at the range for now.

To be perfectly clear, WHO makes your dies is completely irrelevant, it's THE MATCH OF DIE TO CHAMBER that you're after. Typically a Type 'S' Redding die is designed for full-length resizing........If your rifle was chambered with a reamer which matches the Redding dies (possible, since David Kiff probably built both reamers, but still unlikely) then you're OK but this IS NOT a gamble I would take. Now, you mention a "body die." WHY? If the "Type 'S'" die is, in fact, a full length resizer then why a body die? The body die concept originated with guys who use "bump dies" or dies made with their chambering reamers or dies which are set up to "neck size only" and the body die is a (wretched) way to occasionally resize when the brass gets tight.

Here's what I would do (have done, many times) instead. I would order a set of Wilson hand dies with the three bushings and a Sinclair Arbor press. Now you can load and shoot, anywhere. At home. At the range. In an aeroplane or a hot-air-balloon....... ANYwhere. (In Other Words, don't get hung up on "load at home" :) cuz you can still load at home with portable equipment....) So you can load and shoot. A LOT.

KEEP YOUR BOLT LUGS GREASED!!!

here's what's gonna' happen..... you'll load and fire and gener'ly have a big time, A LOT. And over time some or all of your cases will get TIGHT. In any event, they'll all get progressively tighter as you load and fire them. (a LOT)

so

KEEP YOUR LUGS GREASED!!! Like every 25 rounds, grease those luggies eh!

As an alternative would I be better off to send some of my once fired brass to Harrell to have a custom FL sizing die made....If I go that route who would you suggest to make the seating die ?

Now, while this is all going on (a LOT) you can take 3 or 6 of those fired cases and send them off to The Bros Harrell.... I put three cases in a ziplok marked "perfect feel" and three more cases in another ziplok marked "tight in chamber" and send them off. Now they've got two sets of three cases to measure from. One set is egg'ZACKly what you want and the other set of three is TIGHT. In due course you will receive back a fitted die which will most'en likely work perfectly but if it DOESN'T then you send it back with another nice liddle note and they'll fix it. For FREE. (I dunno why they do it for free but they do)

Shucks, the liddle shoulder setback measuring gizzie is worth the 75 clams....just so you learn how necessary it is.....

And I would probably just keep on using the Wilson Seater. But if you want a press type die or a custom seating die you can pick and choose because you'll have the Wilson to get you by. In other words, you're not setting around waiting for stuff, you're SHOOTING.

A LOT

And this is GOOD.

And you haven't spent a bunch of money on stuff you'll never use again.

BTW I will suggest the NON-micrometer top on the seater. A micrometer is just a screw with marks on it, it's no more "accurate" than the plain one. the stem advances 40 thou per turn. 20 thou the half-turn, 10 thou the quarter turn (lemme' guess, you're starting to see a pattern, right??) Buy the cheaper Wilson seater and save your money for something else. Maybe a micrometer-topped threaded press-type seating die :)

The rest of the stuff is just details. No press will make straighter ammo than another. And trimmers and throwers and such are all matters of choice, they all perty much work.

"No press will make straighter ammo"

Try THAT statement on one of the other shooting forums eh!! See how that flies for ya' ;)

Take it from a guy who actually owns 18 presses and who CAN make ammo with no runout. It ain't about the press.....

LOL

hth

al

southj, there are lots of opinions and means to the same end. Welcome to the high-tech world of handloading for the 6 PPC. You will learn a lot about quality handloading and, if you enjoy paying to attention to details, you will have lots of enjoyment. Keep good notes and don't be afraid to "try things".

In my experience, the best die for 6 PPC competitive shooting is a Harrell's full-length sizing die (or comparable) tailored to the chamber in your rifle. For seating dies, the Redding Micrometer Die or Forster Ultra Micrometer are as good as it gets. Handloads done on quality dies in a "modern" press are as good as anything Wilson dies can do.

Handloading is in a morph stage and some of the old mantras are changing. More and more competitive shooters are FL sizing their brass, especially with custom dies that change the sizes minimally. Annealing is making a great impact in handloading and allowing brass to remain in use for many more reloads.

If I were starting over, I would buy a good quality press that will handle the inserts that allow quick removal and insertion of dies without messing with settings.

The Forster case trimmer is as good as any -- I have three, set up for different calibers! I also have two Wilson trimmers and they work well, too.

The Harrell's powder measure is top of the list. Having said that, I have a Redding BR measure and it throws as good as the Harrell's but not as easy to get repeatable settings.

Lots of handloading equipment is susceptible to personal preferences and many different brands and types of tools and equipment will all do the job. You have a lot to learn about seating depths, neck tension, shoulder bump, etc. On top of that, treat your new LV rifle with respect and care. How you treat it and maintain it will have a lot to do with your success with it. Never use the bolt dry, especially the lugs which need to be lightly lubed often. When you clean the rifle, clean the lug recesses and chamber along with the barrel and action.

You are in for lots of enjoyment from the care and feeding of a quality benchrest rifle and the satisfaction of seeing it shoot well. Good luck. Enjoy!

Reloading 6ppc

" If I were starting over, I would buy a good quality press that will handle the inserts that allow quick removal and insertion of dies without messing with settings. "

Are there specific presses that meet that criteria ?

I think the only presses with the die bushings are Hornady and Lee. A turret press is a good second choice. A lot depends on how many calibers you are loading for, and what amount of money you want to commit. If you are only loading for the PPC, one of the small custom presses from Harrell's or Sinclair, etc. might be a better choice. The Harrell's or Hood's presses are an excellent tool, but pricey. So many options ...

Your not shooting a very stiff load if you haven't fl sized in 30 firings. Not the norm for sure. I would buy a harrels fl size die if I were the op

I'm shooting 28.4gr N133 behind Barts ultra 68gr, it's enough to shoot 499/500 at the nationals and land me 2nd place ;) 100+200m score

my chamber and my die have exactly the same dimension, the only thing that expands is the neck and only by .002

Reloading

All good information.....

Are there single stage loaders that that can load threaded dies and the Wilson type die that uses an arbor press ?

The ultimate reloading press for benchrest at this point is probably the Hood ...

http://www.benchrest.com/hoodpress/hood_press.html

and the similar Harrell's ...

http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/combo-press

... as they allow the use of either threaded or Wilson-type dies. Normal practice is a threaded sizing die and Wilson-type seating die, but the left side ram can perform any Wilson-type die function.

This "pancake" design is crafted to fit into a toolbox drawer for loading away from the bench. The prices are "challenging" but the equipment is high-quality and very useful.

I just got my PPC back from McMillan. I am trying to work up a load for it. I have a friend with a similar PPC, when he loads a cartridge, the bullet just does sit in the brass. What is the best way to figure out how long I need to set my OAL with out an OAL gauge? Do you put a bullet in an empty brass and close the bolt then take the length minus a 0.001 or 0.002?

Robert

southj there is allot of good info in this forum. I dont know how tight your budget is but if you can afford the best go for it,no regrets. these are my Recommendations.

( Double stage Press ) Hood press or Harrells

( Single stage Press ) Sinclair

( FL threaded Die ) Harrells and 3 carbide bushings depending on your neck, also get some of skips shims from Sinclair

( Bullet seating die ) Niel jones or Wilson - make sure it has a micrometer top

( Powder measure ) Harrells

If your going to get into the benchrest game make sure that you get a nice table so you can load at the range and at Home. I know that i have left something out but,These are just some of the products that are tried and proven in the benchrest world. Have fun with your new Toy . Gabe

Last edited:
I just got my PPC back from McMillan. I am trying to work up a load for it. I have a friend with a similar PPC, when he loads a cartridge, the bullet just does sit in the brass. What is the best way to figure out how long I need to set my OAL with out an OAL gauge? Do you put a bullet in an empty brass and close the bolt then take the length minus a 0.001 or 0.002?

Robert

Yes

Qal

Robert

If you know what reamer then this may help some http://bossons.awardspace.info/Reamers.htm
I use JGS 1045HF reamer, if I have reamed where bolt face is same as on print I could have max oal of 1.525
I have found with Lt32 I am getting best groups (at home or on Friday!) 1.505 - 1.515. I would guess 1.490 is very common but I have heard shooters using many different lengths. Most of this year I competed 1.490 oal.
Trout

Back