Reloading problem

M

moosehunter

Advise please. I havent encountered this before and today I ran into it on two different calibers. Loading for 6.5x284 and 300WM. Belling of the case mouth on fired brass when seathing the VLD bullets after neck sizing, priming and powder charge. The seating of the bullet causes a slight bell in the neck enough to cause chambering issues. I pulled the bullets and resized with the powder in. Then outside chamfered and touched up the inside neck with the chamfer tool and partly solved the issue but what caused this in the first place?

Sounds like you need to turn the necks if theyre tight in the chamber. The belling youre seeing is probably from sizing the necks way down and making it obviously belled. Of course with only neck sizing you could be having problems chambering a round due to your brass not being sized properly to fit your chamber

neck diameter???

You said you were belling the cases before seating. I have never ever done that in the last 50 years unless I am shooting cast bullets.

Suggestion: measure the neck diameter of the case after sizing and measure another with a bullet loaded. The difference is the neck tension and should be about .001" to .003".

My thought is that your reloading die is sizing your cases too small for your bullets. That would also explain the deformities in cases with seating the bullets. The solution is reloading dies with changeable neck bushings.

Negative on belling the case before seating. It bells itself upon seating, thats the problem. Neither bullet is crimped. When the bullet is seated the case mouth has a small bell at the top causing the neck mouth to be to large to enter the neck portion of the chamber. On the 6.5x284 I use a Redding bushing die with a .003 bushing, and for the 300WM I use a RCBS neck die. I dont FL size the 300 thus avoiding head seperation issues I do use an Innovative Tech Collet die when the case above the belt develops enough of a bulge to cause chamber issues. A reply suggesting to much neck tension may have something to do with it as Ive taken the expander ball out of the 300WM die resulting in a considerable amount of tension but this doesnt explain the bushing die for the 6.5. The seating die for both calibers is a Redding micro comp die so no crimp function. Trimming is done on a regular basis and if anything I have a habit of trimming to short so no issues with case necks protuding into the lands. I have a few more 300 to put together today so Im boing to put the expander ball back in and see if that hopefully solves the problem. Keep the ideas coming.

I had that problem with 22-250 that had been loaded numerous times. I tried annealing the cases and that solved the problem.
I suspect the case mouth area was springing back more than the rest of the neck when it came out of the sizing bushing?
I use Redding Competition dies and try to size .002 under loaded round neck diameter.

Make sure you have the right size stuff there and the loaded neck is less than the rifle neck. Beyond that, yes, put the expander back in the die. I'm thinking that will fix that caliber but don't know what's up with the other. If this is a new issue it's not good and should be either discovered or fixed before you shoot them.

Are these new bullets? Measure a bullet and then measure a loaded neck...something is haywire!

Advise please. I havent encountered this before and today I ran into it on two different calibers. Loading for 6.5x284 and 300WM. Belling of the case mouth on fired brass when seathing the VLD bullets after neck sizing, priming and powder charge. The seating of the bullet causes a slight bell in the neck enough to cause chambering issues. I pulled the bullets and resized with the powder in. Then outside chamfered and touched up the inside neck with the chamfer tool and partly solved the issue but what caused this in the first place?
Just a safety point. Resizing a loaded round is an obvious danger...so you pulled the bullet. Very little extra work to dump the powder too and just re-fill after sizing. Even with the bullet out, it's still a bomb in the die. Very low chance but why risk it?

What is the danger in sizing a loaded round ??
None of my dies have firing pins in them.
Take the neck bushing out of a die and size the body all you want.For neck sizing it would be a bit silly as the bullet will minimize any compression,
but it might take out the lip with the correct size bushing.

Just a safety point. Resizing a loaded round is an obvious danger...so you pulled the bullet. Very little extra work to dump the powder too and just re-fill after sizing. Even with the bullet out, it's still a bomb in the die. Very low chance but why risk it?

What is the danger in sizing a loaded round ??
None of my dies have firing pins in them.
Take the neck bushing out of a die and size the body all you want.For neck sizing it would be a bit silly as the bullet will minimize any compression,
but it might take out the lip with the correct size bushing.

Agreed, by the same logic I guess we could never use seater dies as they also would be making little bombs.

Back