Reload Maual

O

oldgoathair

Have a 722 Remington .222 i've aquired. Never hand loaded ever but i'm not a dummy. What do you suggest is a good book,manual to get started. These are not going to be benchrest loads but varmint loads (going to call coyote, fox, wolf next season). Thanks, Marc

Marc

Welcome aboard. I would recommend that you start with the new "Lyman
49th Edition Reloading Handbook". Sinclair has the soft cover edition
# 15 - 9300 for $22.95.

Dick Parrino

It's not possible to have too much information, and the manuals from Speer, Sierra, Nosler, Hornady, Lyman, and the rest are all good to have and read. Any of them will get you started.

Reloading isn't difficult once you get into it and understand it, but it can seem overwhelming when you see all the possibilities available even for just one caliber.

Hodgdon has a very nice online handloader data site, worth a look.

Besides recommended loads and powder types you should also look into bullet types and construction, to best suit your bullet for your uses. Also remember that differences in bullet construction can result in the same load under bullets of the same weight having very different chamber pressures, so don't go by bullet weight alone.

Marc ...

Have a 722 Remington .222 i've aquired. Never hand loaded ever but i'm not a dummy. What do you suggest is a good book,manual to get started. These are not going to be benchrest loads but varmint loads (going to call coyote, fox, wolf next season). Thanks, Marc

In addition to the books mentioned above, see if you can find a good "B"enchrest practitioner who can mentor you through the process. I believe you will gain greater insight into the nuances of reloading from an experienced benchrest shooter.

I started with Nosler and picked up the Lee book. Added Lyman 49th.
They all have their forte. Nosler is good read.

Online for latest load data from various manufacturers.

oldgoathair

welcome....:)

what i would suggest is since your mentioned you'd be [starting out] loading for varmint hunting... i would first decide on the brand bullet you would like work with an buy that brand load manual... you should be all means have have at least two other different types manuals for cross refence as the fellas have suggested as well..
only my 2cts worth... happy loading

Congratulations on a classic rig. Are there any gun shops or other shooters in your area? There are a couple magazines I would recommend. Varmint Hunter and Precision Shooting. There always good info and worlds of advertisments in both of them. Look at the used equipment on this site in the classified section. Might find something that you need. Everbody here has their favorite way of reloading. Only thing I would add is, NEVER trust a load you find on the internet. Always work from a manual and keep records. Might as well get aquainted with Midway USA and Sinclair International and others.
Good luck with the rifle.

Welcome aboard. I would recommend that you start with the new "Lyman
49th Edition Reloading Handbook". Sinclair has the soft cover edition
# 15 - 9300 for $22.95.

Dick Parrino

I would also highly recommend the Lyman manual as inexpensive, as good as any, and better than many. I have about 20 different reloading manuals BTW

Dick

Thanks

I would like to thank everyone for their input. I will do as advised. My Pops always loaded for me and I would give him a few boxes of empties and he loaded the up. Mostly 25-06, .270 rounds for elk and deer hunting. He always loaded by himself and if someone came over he quit until they left, just my Pops. I moved to Montana before he taught me about reloading so here I am by myself and shell are so expensive and it would be fun to do in the winter (it was -31 at our house last night). I have no reload equipment but can afford to buy good stuff, just wanted to read and get help before I dive in. Thinking of a Rock Chucker Press for a press??? Thanks Marc

Marc ...

Thinking of a Rock Chucker Press for a press??? Thanks Marc

I have an RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage Press and a new Forster CO-AX Press. If I had to do it all over again I'd buy the Forster CO-AX from day one. What a pleasure to work with. The leverage is greater, spent primers end up in a jar, no need for shell holders, and changing out dies is a snap!

Check it out: http://www.forsterproducts.com/client_images/catalog19938/pages/files/Co-Ax_Reloading_Press.pdf. Roam the Internet for a good buy. I purchased mine for $217.00 at Midway on a special sale. :)

I had to do it all over again I'd buy the Forster CO-AX from day one. What a pleasure to work with. The leverage is greater, spent primers end up in a jar, no need for shell holders, and changing out dies is a snap!

Well at least we agree for once, I have preferred my Coax press for 20+ years.

Dick

reloding

you are in montana for crying out loud go ask your neighbors.Or go to the local gravel pit and shoot you will find some body to talk to about reloding;

Last edited by a moderator:
Back