Refused @ UPS

Pete Wass

I made an attempt to send a rifle back to a manufacturer this afternoon using the UPS pickup label provided by the manufacturer and was refused. The Employee there said he could not accept the package without the company's license. Where did I go wrong here? Is the pick up slip only for pickup? Have rules changed as to the shipping of firearms?

Pete

call and arrange for at home pick up or take to the local terminal.
"stores" cannot handle firearms, COMPANY POLICY of an anti gun company

We have a UPS terminal in the city where I live. The employees have always been very professional and helpful. I have shipped two rifles that I sold from that location to FFLs and they have never asked to see any documentation, although I had taken the precaution of having it with me the first time. Before I used UPS I checked what my cost would have been using USPS or Fedex and they were more expensive. My rifles arrived in good shape. I credit this to my overkill packaging scheme. I use a factory box with another, larger box around it, with material between, with the whole thing well taped. For shipping where I am going to get the rifle back, I bought an inexpensive hard case and took care to preserve the cardboard box that it came in, since there is a ten dollar charge for cases that are not in cardboard. I marked it on all sides in big letters, using a large marker to only cut tape and not the box so that it can be reused for shipping. That worked very well. You may remember the Remington trigger recall that required rifles to be returned. UPS did that job, so they are very used to handling rifles. No, I do not work for or have any business relation with UPS.

What I neglected to say

was I drove 28 miles to the UPS Depot! Sorry, I should have included that. The employee was way to nice in his refusal and Way too nice when I called him an As---H--e. I asked for the name and number of his supervisor, He gave me a name and the 800 India service center number.

Its not bad enough UPS is solely responsibly for charging us HAZMAT charges but they have gotten worse over time. If sending this to the Manufacturer had been on my dime, it would have been with USPS. I've never had a problem with USPS. I don't know why more people aren't upset about UPS and the costs of freight in general. We simply roll over and accept anything we must to receive things! Makes me crazy!

Pete

Last edited:
Technically you don't need an FFL to send a firearm as long as it doesn't change ownership. UPS always tries to give people grief. Best thing is to have them pick it up at your location. I was shipping a few components to build a rifle with. I had everything packed and hied my butt over ta FEDEX. Turned out Joe Doe was in their system as Joe Doe Gunsmithing. The lady gave me grief, but ended up taking it. Worse was when it got there the "contract" carried had the wrong addy on the delivery ticket so Mr. Doe's wife had to chase em all over town to get the package. Even worse was them leaving a $3K package on my doorstep and not even ringing the doorbell.

was I drove 28 miles to the UPS Depot! Sorry, I should have included that. The employee was way to nice in his refusal and Way too nice when I called him an As---H--e. I asked for the name and number of his supervisor, He gave me a name and the 800 India service center number.

Its not bad enough UPS is solely responsibly for charging us HAZMAT charges but they have gotten worse over time. If sending this to the Manufacturer had been on my dime, it would have been with USPS. I've never had a problem with USPS. I don't know why more people aren't upset about UPS and the costs of freight in general. We simply roll over and accept anything we must to receive things! Makes me crazy!

Pete

So did you call and find out what they have to say???

And a little note about hazmat. It aint cheap!!!!! Each truck driver has to have a hazmat endorsement. Who pays for that? They have to have people trained to inspect the hazmat paperwork that companies fill out. That training alone is not cheap and required yearly. So UPS and FEDEX and all the other freight companies pay for this and not the driver or employee. So the HAZMAT fees are not soley UPS fault.

My complaint with Hazmat

So did you call and find out what they have to say???

And a little note about hazmat. It aint cheap!!!!! Each truck driver has to have a hazmat endorsement. Who pays for that? They have to have people trained to inspect the hazmat paperwork that companies fill out. That training alone is not cheap and required yearly. So UPS and FEDEX and all the other freight companies pay for this and not the driver or employee. So the HAZMAT fees are not soley UPS fault.

is the items are simply mixed in with all the rest of the freight. So, they get trained. It costs them once. We pay damn dearly every time an item get shipped to us. Sorry, I can't feel bad for the Evil Empire. As usual, the consumer takes it in the shorts.

Pete

I will call for a pickup

Technically you don't need an FFL to send a firearm as long as it doesn't change ownership. UPS always tries to give people grief. Best thing is to have them pick it up at your location. I was shipping a few components to build a rifle with. I had everything packed and hied my butt over ta FEDEX. Turned out Joe Doe was in their system as Joe Doe Gunsmithing. The lady gave me grief, but ended up taking it. Worse was when it got there the "contract" carried had the wrong addy on the delivery ticket so Mr. Doe's wife had to chase em all over town to get the package. Even worse was them leaving a $3K package on my doorstep and not even ringing the doorbell.

Should have done that in the first place but I want it gone NOW. Silly me! What baffled me was even though the box had one of their generated pick up labels on it, they refused or wonder boy refused it. We'll see if the driver does. I have shipped guns a number of other times at other UPS dopes without a question.

Pete

Last edited:
is the items are simply mixed in with all the rest of the freight. So, they get trained. It costs them once. We pay damn dearly every time an item get shipped to us. Sorry, I can't feel bad for the Evil Empire. As usual, the consumer takes it in the shorts.

Pete

Thats fine.
But I beg to differ since I tend to deal with this.
But keep on believing.

The franchise stores typically will not take a firearm or anything insured for more than $1,000.00. There is a high coverage rate form. I know the local FedEx and UPS Drivers that cover my area and sometimes even flag a truck down when it is out making deliveries. Give my package to the driver and he or she scans it in and gives me a receipt. I weigh, pack, pre-pay the freight and print the label at home.

I wonder how some of the retailers give both good sale prices and free freight and hazmat fees on orders at certain times. Wonder if they cut a deal with the shipper letting them know that the volume will be way up and get them to waive the fee or contribute to a reduction.

Bob

Last edited:
Not so many years ago

The franchise stores typically will not take a firearm or anything insured for more than $1,000.00. There is a high coverage rate form. I know the local FedEx and UPS Drivers that cover my area and sometimes even flag a truck down when it is out making deliveries. Give my package to the driver and he or she scans it in and gives me a receipt. I weigh, pack, pre-pay the freight and print the label at home.

I wonder how some of the retailers give both good sale prices and free freight and hazmat fees on orders at certain times. Wonder if they cut a deal with the shipper letting them know that the volume will be way up and get them to waive the fee or contribute to a reduction.

Bob

a lot of people offered free freight, That was before the multiple freight hikes over the years, you know, those times when the price of fuel goes through the roof and we say OK, it's just for now BUT the freight rates never come down, ever! I am thinking high volume shippers get bulk rates by weight so they can sell things at an affordable price and the seller isn't using "Freight" as a profit center. It is against my principals to pay more in freight for the delivery of an item than the item costs. Like a friend says he can't bear to throw away a returnable bottle and why I search out the lowest possible cost gasoline, it's the principal, not the cost. Also I know of a guy, actually have met him, who drives a semi for Walmart who claims he makes over $100 K per year. I don't begrudge him or anyone else of whatever they are able to earn but a truck driver, $100 K???

Pete

Just keeps getting better!

just called and scheduled a pickup. Had to pay $10.40 to have the driver stop by to pick up their prepaid package. Ain't America a great country?

Pete

truck driver - 100K not unusual any more- over the road long haul. Consider than Maintenance engineers ( janitor) are in the 50k class in some areas. Fancy High rise condo in little old Milwaukee WI about 15 years back $750/mo condo fee. Same place now is $1500/mo condo fee. These units are not rental or lease units.

a lot of people offered free freight, That was before the multiple freight hikes over the years, you know, those times when the price of fuel goes through the roof and we say OK, it's just for now BUT the freight rates never come down, ever! I am thinking high volume shippers get bulk rates by weight so they can sell things at an affordable price and the seller isn't using "Freight" as a profit center. It is against my principals to pay more in freight for the delivery of an item than the item costs. Like a friend says he can't bear to throw away a returnable bottle and why I search out the lowest possible cost gasoline, it's the principal, not the cost. Also I know of a guy, actually have met him, who drives a semi for Walmart who claims he makes over $100 K per year. I don't begrudge him or anyone else of whatever they are able to earn but a truck driver, $100 K???

Pete

It's a occupation governed by supply and demand.

Long haul over the road truck drivers can make a very substantial income, if they are willing to be away from home most nights and rack up a lot of overtime and holiday pay. There is no such thing as free shipping. It is built into the cost or the seller wouldn't make any money. Take a look at the price of an item on Optics Planet with FREE FREIGHT and the price of the same item on MidwayUSA where you usually pay freight. Drive to the store, pick up what you want and you will not pay freight but you will pay in time, gas and in most cases sales tax with few exceptions.

Bob

bad example
i just bought 2 sets of burris signature 30mm rings. checked 3 places.
optic planet with free shipping was cheaper than the other 2( midway was 1) BEFORE adding their shipping.

if you do volume shipping you get a big discount.
midway has a ups trailer on their property.

Long haul over the road truck drivers can make a very substantial income, if they are willing to be away from home most nights and rack up a lot of overtime and holiday pay. There is no such thing as free shipping. It is built into the cost or the seller wouldn't make any money. Take a look at the price of an item on Optics Planet with FREE FREIGHT and the price of the same item on MidwayUSA where you usually pay freight. Drive to the store, pick up what you want and you will not pay freight but you will pay in time, gas and in most cases sales tax with few exceptions.

Bob

And there is a high demand

because many millennials entering the work force have bad driving records, drug convictions or can't pass the FMCA mandated drug test. So what do the poor babies do? Come to places like Maine and get free health care(just signed into law by our new uber liberal democrat governor, snap card, rent and heat assistance. Geesh!

bad example
i just bought 2 sets of burris signature 30mm rings. checked 3 places.
optic planet with free shipping was cheaper than the other 2( midway was 1) BEFORE adding their shipping.

if you do volume shipping you get a big discount.
midway has a ups trailer on their property.

For rings and bases I can usually find them cheaper on eBay than Optics Planet or Midway. I bought some Leupold rings for about $37 shipped on eBay that were around $75 at Optics Planet.

Back