redding type s die 6.5x47L??

skeetlee

Fellas i am not the best at explaining myself but here goes anyway. I recently bought a BAT SV with a new 6.5x47 Lapua Krieger barrel barrel attached. Got a good deal and couldn't pass on it. Anyway i didnt have any real use for it but like i said. I bought a Mcmillan tooley MBR and will have Tom M inlet and bead this barreled action. Should make a nice 600 yard rifle. Now, i need some reloading dies. I bought a Wilson seater die, like i wanted, but i still need a Fl size die. All my other FL size dies have been redding type S so i just figured i would go with another for the 6.5x47. This die is going to set me back about 90 bucks after shipping, not to mention some bushings. I got to thinking about this and after doing some looking around, i found that i can buy a redding fl die (non bushing) for about 35 bucks. I have a couple of these dies in various chamberings and they size my cases about .003 . Now with my Redding type s dies it seems to me i use a bushing that also sizes about .003, so i question myself if i really need to spend the extra money for the bushing die. This isnt true with every chambering i have but 2 out of the 3 i have i use a bushing that sizes my necks .003 and the other sizes .002. I dont know much about the 6.5x47L so i really dont know what die i really need. Ill spend the extra money on the bushing die if it is needed, but if a standard FL size die will work just fine why spend it. I was hoping some of you fellas that shoot the 6.5x47L might have some input from experience. Another thing i need to be real honest about is the fact that i dont even know if i will keep this rig very long. I want to spend most of my summer learning to shoot my pc, but i do like to play around at our 500 yard range. I am a bit concerned on how the rifle will feel being that the BAT sv action is quite small and the 27" HV krieger barrel is attached. I just dont know how this will balance in the MBR stock. It may be the perfect set up, i just dont know. It isnt what i would pick for a 600 yard rifle, but there again the deal was just to good to pass on. I dont have any of the items yet, as they are due here on Tuesday. I wont be Abe to get a actual feel for the rifle as the stock isnt inletted yet but i will be able to get an idea. Ill sit or tape the barreled action into the semi inletted stock and go from there. I wont order the die until i have an idea either so this gives me some time to study the this chambering a bit. Can anyone shed a bit of light on all this for me please. Thanks guys! Lee

3.JPG (1867KB);

Last edited:
i tried to post a pic of the barreled action with a copy and paste but i dont know what i am doing. If someone could open that picture it would be appreciated. thanks Lee

The first question I will ask is how is it chambered? Is it a no turn neck? Ist a .297? My 6.5 WSSM is a .301, and With the win brass I still need to turn necks. If it is set up with a tight neck you will want/need a bushing die.

Let us know more on the chamber and how you are going to use it and these guys here will stear you in the right direction.

From my expereance, neck tension is critical for eliminating vertical at long distance.

Good luck,
Tod

I shoot a 6.5x47 at 600yd matches. It has .290 nk I turn for a .288 loaded dia. I had problems with high and inconsistent run-out. I tried different bushings even got a carbide .286 from Butch. After reading some of the stuff posted by other shooters about runout I contacted Forster to find out the internal dimensions of their non-bushing die I ordered one. Let me tell ya from here on out if at all possible I will always go with a one piece die over a bushing die. BTW I use the forster die without the expander.
Larry

skeetlee,

I also have a BAT SV action with a 27" MTU contour brux tube chambered for the 6.5x47 Lapua. It's pillar and glass bedded into a Meredith TMBR stock with about 5 lbs. added into the butt for balance. The barrel is completely floated.

I built this for 500 - 600 yard groundhog matches. It shoots very good. Aggs in the .2's @ 100 and have shot sub 1.5" @ 500 with it.

I use the redding Type S FL bushing die with a .288 bushing and runout is excellent. My chamber is a no-turn .293

I personally think the bushing die is worth the extra coin over the standard non-bushing die for the simple fact that you can set the bushing so it floats ever so slightly in the die. This helps with self centering with the neck to cutdown on loaded runout.

The SV action is stout enough in my opinion to hang that HV barrel @ 27" with no problem.

At least I don't feel under-gunned at all against, lets say a BAT MB running the same cartridge.

Hope this helps!

Back