Redding Small Base die question

I have a Redding full length sizing die (stated in the 3rd post) It is not a bushing (type s) die. The original question was the size of the base on the redding small base die. Since that original post, I have looked at the documentation in the Redding small base die box and it stated that the small base die was identical to the full length die with the exception that the small base die does not touch the neck at all. That has been confirmed to my satisfaction. Again, these are not type S dies.

That seems odd to me that they would use the same dimensions for both dies regardless of the type. The whole idea of a small base die is to take the base down smaller than a standard dimension. Obviously, there are bound to be slight dimensional differences in dies due to machining and steel manufacturing, but Redding knows they're gonna get dies back if they don't do what they are supposed to. If a guy buys a SB die and it doesn't squeeze the brass any more than his regular die, there's gotta be or going to be a problem.

Well, no matter. Harrells will hook you up right with what you need.

While it may seem odd that the dies are the same dimension except to the neck, Redding states that fact in the instructions in the small base die box. It is their product and I believe them. I have compared the dies to my satisfaction. I already have Harrel's # 2.5 and #3. The original question was about the size of the small base die. The only thing left for me to do is to check the size of the small base S die as opposed to the small base full length die. After that, I think I have all the info that I need.

Which ones are you talking about? The type S or the regular. I also have both the Redding Full length die (no neck bushing) and the small base die (no neck bushing) They are the same base size.

Mine are bushing dies. If your small base die is the same as your regular die, i would call redding and ask them what one of the two was made wrong, and to have them send you the proper replacement. Lee

It's been my experience with Redding small base dies, in both 6 PPC and 6 BR, is that they aren't just small base, but they are also very tight at the shoulder. Calling it a small base die is only half the story.

Jim

The only question that I asked was the diameter of the base of the Redding small base die. Mike Bryant answered the question.

The .438 was just starting in the base of the die. It wouldn't go in any farther. But, that dimension shows why it works with a reamer that is .439" at the .200 datum line. It will be a little smaller up in the die. Since with going with the .439" reamer and the Redding small base die, I haven't had any problem with the cases getting tight towards the end of the match and giving the "click" at the top of the bolt stroke. When you lock a caliper on the fired case at the shoulder and then size the case, the caliper doesn't drop but about a tenth of inch down the case body. So should be fine on how it sizes at the shoulder. Basically, what I did was had a reamer made that matched the Redding small base die as per Pat's suggestion on his post. On the .22 PPC .100 short, I sent some fired cases to Jim Carstensen and had him match a size die to the brass. That's probably the simplest thing to do on the 6 PPC.

Last edited:
Mike,

is it a PTG reamer and if so, what is the number?

Thanks,
Earl

Earl,
Sorry to take so long to answer your question on my reamer number, but had the reamer print just stuck in my notebook with reamer prints and just ran across it today. It's a Pacific Tool reamer with the print # 39735. The reamer print is dated 5/21/12. The reamer is .4390 at the .200 datum line, .429 at the shoulder, .262" at the neck with .244" on the freebore diameter with .045" freebore length. I'm very well satisfied with the reamer and have been using it on all my personal 6 PPC benchrest rifles when I install a new barrel on them. The reason that I went with .244" on the freebore diameter is that a lot of my bullets have been measuring .2435 on the shank, so figured that an extra .0005 on the freebore diameter would give a little clearance on the bullet diameter. However, it may not be necessary as it's very hard to get a reamer to cut exactly on size every time. It works very well with the Redding small base type s die.

Mike Bryant

...The reamer is ...262" at the neck with .244" on the freebore diameter with .045" freebore length. I'm very well satisfied with the reamer and have been using it on all my personal 6 PPC benchrest rifles when I install a new barrel on them. The reason that I went with .244" on the freebore diameter is that a lot of my bullets have been measuring .2435 on the shank, so figured that an extra .0005 on the freebore diameter would give a little clearance on the bullet diameter.

Mike, as Greg Walley posted on another thread where I mentioned that I always use .001 over nominal bullet diameter (i.e., .244 on a 6mm, .309 on a .30, etc)

I've been doing some extensive testing with a 6.5mm wildcat, and I discovered (by accident) that a freebore approximately .0008" over nominal bullet diameter gives lower standard deviation than .0003".

Thanks for the info Mike. I have a couple of reamers - a JGS 1045 and a Bruno from PT&G. I don't have the prints for either. The JGS is the one that seems to shoot the best with my bullets. Lester has the same JGS reamer and is having a resize reamer made for it. I think I will have him make up a die with that reamer and if it doesn't work, I will order a reamer like yours.

Back