recoil suppressor legality?

Z

zini72

I was told the other day by a shooter that mercury recoil suppresors were illegal in the NBRSA and IBS (100 to 1,000 yard) because they have movement. I couldn't find it in the rule books. Can anyone verify this?
Thanks,

zini72- The Pennsylvania 1000 yard rules State, There should be no device present that stops rearward and/or upward movement of the rifle. Hope this helps

Joe Salt

joe....honest no bs question....
so in pa the shooters have to free recoil all shots...ok that was humor....
the mercury device would not '"STOP" rear ward motion, just reduce it ???
so it is not a stop ?
yes no ??
mike in co

Joe, are you saying that PA 1,000 yard rule is a state rule and not IBS or NBRSA? Thanks for your input. I mainly shoot in the west IE: CO, UT, AZ, NM, WY, etc.

The Original Pennsylvania 1000 Yard Benchrest Club is a sanctioning body, like IBS or NBRSA. For long range, it probably has more members than NBRSA, but fewer than IBS. The Wyoming club, as I remember, is affiliated with "Pennsylvania."

zini72 - The IBS adopted or heavy gun rules so if their rule hasn't changed it should read the same. And the Montana club is affiliated with ours. Were just a club, NBRSA and IBS are Organization's but we are the lagest 1000 yard club in the Country!

Joe Salt

Thanks for the clarification. I was also told by the same gentleman, that adding lead to the back of the stock to help with gun balance is ok (as long as the lead cannot move, IE: epoxy in).
So my question now is "lead in the stock" is legal?
Thanks,

What clarification?
Can Mercury be used or not?
Where did the 'no movement' basis come from? Is this stated in any rules? Is this ever checked? What would the test be?

Mikecr- We had people try it , Didn't fly. Go to www.Pa1000yard.com and read the rules I didn't make them up. Its to keep people from trying other thing like clamps or other mean to keep the gun from moving at all. Even 100 pound rifle will move in 6mm dasher. Rules are for people that are trying to beat the system.

Joe Salt

What clarification?
Can Mercury be used or not?
Where did the 'no movement' basis come from? Is this stated in any rules? Is this ever checked? What would the test be?
As I remember, there is no rule against using the mercury recoil reducers. I think a few in IBS tried them at Hawks Ridge. The general feeling was that there were far cheaper ways to get the same small amount of "felt recoil reduction."

ASIDE: the Cass brothers use to use a 180 pound rifle chambered in a 6mm. They'd fire it 5 times, push it back to(wards) battery, and fire 5 more. It moved that little.

Where something like that might make sense is when you're getting old like me, and can't easily deal with even a 50-pound HG anymore. Except: cheaper, and more effective, is to strap on one of those recoil-absorbing vests. If you aren't vain, it works far better, and doesn't have to be included in the rifle's weight. I you're vain, have it embroidered.

Joe, I can't find a rule there that would inhibit use of weighting, mercury or otherwise, provided the gun makes weight limit.
It's not an issue with HG of coarse, and LG doesn't seem to mention. I see muzzle breaks are allowed to reduce recoil, so there seems no 'intent' to discourage recoil reduction. Only to prevent outright restraint of a gun's movement.

Maybe I'm missing it. Has it been checked somehow?
I sincerely wonder because it looks to me that anyone could also use magnetics both in bags and stocks. I feel that this action would be unfair to anyone who doesn't follow suit. Yet I can't picture current rules or enforcement of them actually preventing this.

There is a double edge to ambiguous rules in that victory can be innovated through interpretation.
There are some smart shooters out there, competitive shooters, who can't assume others won't interpret weak rules to their advantage.

Mikecr- There you have got it all figured out, people do take advantage. how do I know who has one of those gizmos in there stock, maybe I do.

Get my drift, you have a conceits, thats the difference between going by the rules or not.

Joe Salt

I thought they started allowing muzzle breaks awhile back. If so that would suppress the upward movement wouldnt it?

Muzzle breaks have been from the beginning in L.G. , Two years for H.G. So if you would like to get recoil suppresor made legal, you first have to be a member in good standing, then at a meeting make a motion to make them legle. If it weren't for myself and a very few others, adjustable cheek pieces would not be legle. I shoot a 300wsm in LG without a break, if you don't like the kick try a 6mm Br. there nice to shoot.

Joe Salt

Back