Rebar barrel

singleshotom

matte finish.jpgP1014646.jpgP1014648.jpgIve had several emails and phone calls about the article in Precision Shooting about my rebar barrel made by myself and Ron Smith here in Alberta Canada.
A couple of fellows asked if I could write a little about it on this Forum so here goes.
As many Canadians an US shooter know Ron Smith of RKS Barrels, makes single point cut rifle barrels here in Alberta. Many Schultzen an RF shooters use his barrels with great success and now more and more target shooters are finding his barrels work very well in all aspects of the shooting sport including jacketed bullets. He makes both gain and straight twist barrels and more and more people are starting to use the gain twist barrels in the long range game due to the fact they are having longer barrel life and other reasons.
Anyway I had the idea of making a barrel out of rebar as a joke many years ago and just taking it to a shoot for fun. After convincing Ron to take a chance and drill it on his deep hole drill we were both surprised how well it drilled and reamed. He was so interested now that he rifled it the next day and phoned me to say he thought it looked great, an said I should give it a real try out. Well the rest of the story is as printed in the journal this gun truly turned out to be a fun thing. And yes it shoots great a true target quality gun.
No its not lined and no its not just a standard barrel blank made to look like rebar it is just a piece of what they called weldable rebar from a construction job site.
Ron makes about 200 to 250 barrels a year and no rebar isn't going to be òn his list with chrome moly and stainless. But you can always ask.
Ron can be reached at 1-403-631-2405
SST

Last edited:
3 things come to mind

The front site and scope base installation is interesting, it looks like bubble gum and rabbit wire, really looks like it.
Why such a piece of rebar couldn't be used for a 22lr escapes me.
Pretty close to April 1 right now.

Why take the risk?

View attachment 12417View attachment 12416View attachment 12418
Anyway I had the idea of making a barrel out of rebar as a joke many years ago and just taking it to a shoot for fun. After convincing Ron to take a chance and drill it on his deep hole drill we were both surprised how well it drilled and reamed. He was so interested now that he rifled it the next day and phoned me to say he thought it looked great, an said I should give it a real try out. Well the rest of the story is as printed in the journal this gun truly turned out to be a fun thing. And yes it shoots great a true target quality gun. SST

What a silly & dangerous idea. I knotice there's no vidio of you firing a box of bullets holding the rifle to your cheek.

Last edited:
What a silly & dangerous idea. I knotice there's no vidio of you firing a box of bullets holding the rifle to your cheek.

Next time, before you write something like this, you might want to do a little research. Weldable rebar is very different than the common stuff. Beyond that, the rifle is a .22 rimfire, much lower pressure than CF.

Barrel steel is a soft and weak as silly putty....... THERE IS NO DANGER!........you have no idea what you're talking about.

So, what's the problem?

No, retired is right. If we don't beat these newbies into submission as soon as they poke their heads up, in no time they'll think that they have the right to offer their view on any subject. I know I did.

Seriously though, the age of a thread is not immediately evident on the layout of this forum until you get used to it. Who looks in the margin?

Haven't seen that in quite awhile. Rifle is a 32RKS CF not a Rimfire and the rifle was shot in cast bullet competition. Or more typically refered to as a Schuetzen match. If memory serves me right the case is a 357 Max. formed in a 223 die. Powder charge around 10-11 grains H-108 and bullet breach seated and around 236 grains. Target was shot at 200 yards. I believe the gentleman who owned this rifle has since passed.

Back