reason for improved scores

bohunk

In the last few years it seems like the average scores are really going up. I've shot in club matches where a 250 16X was only good for 5th place. Is it the improvement in barrels, ammo, shooter skills, or something else that we have to thank for this. Or is it a combination of several different things.

bohunk,
Yes in that order.
Biggest jump in scores was when flat nose Eley came out.
Good barrels were around then but the internal taper lap now makes all ammo better.
It is always tough to make a decision when it is time to pull the trigger and the better shooter will usually win. Some of us get lucky occasionally!
And great rim fire barrels do wear out sooner than you would hope with today's level of competition.
BV

bohunk,
Yes in that order.
Biggest jump in scores was when flat nose Eley came out.
Good barrels were around then but the internal taper lap now makes all ammo better.
It is always tough to make a decision when it is time to pull the trigger and the better shooter will usually win. Some of us get lucky occasionally!
And great rim fire barrels do wear out sooner than you would hope with today's level of competition.
BV

Brian, since you've been known to screw on a fair barrel on occaision what would your thouhgts/obsevations be on modern stainles match barrel life, that is to say if you are lucky enough to have gilt edge accuracy when does the gilt fade in your opinion given some of this priming related degradation?

tim, maybe this will help out, I have 1955, 1956, 1958, 1964 cmp barrels that can still shoot 250's.

tim, maybe this will help out, I have 1955, 1956, 1958, 1964 cmp barrels that can still shoot 250's.

Shooting a 250 is not difficult. Shooting consistent 250's and 250's with high X counts is difficult. You've done neither or you would be high on the LIST. You're not.

Here we go again

The original poster asks an excellent question......

A well-known shooter and gunsmith provides an excellent answer.....

Another excellent follow-up question is asked......

And then the unnecessary stuff slides in
Maybe the previous 3 posters could go back and delete their posts an give this thread a chance.

Maybe the previous 3 posters could go back and delete their posts an give this thread a chance.

Jeffrey miller, my intent was to point out that rifles with tens of thousands of rounds can still shoot good scores, in addition I also wanted to point out a world indoor record was shot with older ammo. seems to me we have had great shooters for some time, great ammo for some time, great barrels for some time, so is there another reason? my guess is the main reason the fellas are getting a better handle on tuning aspects.and that doesn't mean just sticking a tuner on a barrel, it includes the entire rifle.

Shooting a 250 is not difficult. Shooting consistent 250's and 250's with high X counts is difficult. You've done neither or you would be high on the LIST. You're not.

beau, approxamatly 9.15% of all ir/50 targets are 250,s that leaves 90.85% that were less than 250

I agree.

An observation:

Some years have better shooting conditions than others. A for instance would be the number of 250-25X scores in IBS Centerfire Score Shooting. There was a year about three ago I think in which there was a considerable number shot. The past two years I think 2 each year have been shot. Conditions dictate a lot of what happens.

I just thought about a "For Instance" regarding conditions. I shot in an event this year in which one of the competitors shot a 749, dropping his last shot. I believe he said that his first 250 was his first and if that isn't so, his second was definately his first 500. He also said he had never seen the conditions at that range so light and has been shooting there for a couple of decades or more.

Ammo is an issue as well, I'm guessing. Not being able to re-load and with more people getting into RF shooting, the ammo supply gets diluted. Until someone starts making ammo in big quantities that shoot great in everyone's rifles, the supply will continue to dilute; unless someone comes with the magic Barrel Device that will shoot anything we stuff in the chamber. Of course, we could make the targets bigger :confused:

Last edited:
The Truth

There is some truth in what Martin said about barrels. A Smith of note told me that he had seen the inside of a record winning rifle that had about 4" ahead of the chamber GONE. It's easy to blame barrels and scopes, Still have the teeshirts for both of those.

I think one part of it is the mental aspect. The 4 minute mile was believed to be impossible until 1 person did it, then more and more people were able to do it. They did not have a great break through in training or technique, they just finally believed it was possible. I believe the same thing happened in ARA with the 2500. The equipment all the way around is better as well, but the mental aspect should not be left out.

Chicken or Egg

Martin,
You Hit the Nail on the Head!
What came First the Chicken or The Egg?

Equipment Equipment Equipment
~ Or ~
Understanding Your Equipment!

What is Equipment?
Everything You Take to the Range! (Including your shoes & socks)

Ok Back to the Chicken/ Egg thing - It does not matter because Both are Needed.
Does this tell you something? ~ :confused:

Back