Rear bag sliding and alignment

Vern

Morethan1waytoskinacat
I was shooting on a very smooth and slick bench the other day.
I noticed that with each shot my rifle returned to battery pointed further and further to the right so much so that after about 3-4 shots there was no more room in the joy stick.

Trying to figure it out I outlined the back bag and shot another group. Low and behold the bag moved about 1/4 inch during 3 shots.
I tried wetting down the bag and cleaning the bench but to no avail.
I keep a 3/4 board with sand paper on both sides and put that under the bag and that solved the problem ... for now

Question is was there something else wrong with the set up. I had this happen 1 or 2 times before.
The bag is one of the very heavy DR protektor bags so its not too light.

Opinions? Experience?

Vern, if the bench is truely flat,the board and sandpaper might work, the next bench over, maybe not. One range I used to
shoot at had green astro turf glued to the tops, that was a nightmare. I know of some that have been coated with a heavy sealer
also not good. Whats also common is after benchtops are poured, someone runs an edger around to deep causing a ridge about
2" in. The leather donut solves some of these problems, but not all. Then there are wooden tops 30yrs old.

Bob the bag is a good bag. I could only figure the sliding being ALLOWED because of the slick surface. But would this be a normal thing on a very slick surface?
Or was there also something wrong with the setup. The barrel is a bartline and since I dont really know right or left twist I just wondered if the twisting of the rifle on recoil might have been part of the problem. Your right about the block and levelness.
The alternative solution is to use self stick sand paper on either the bag or the bench. I have done this before, last year when a friend was having a similar problem. I set him up with some and it solved his problem. Now he has been trying the dounut or life raft.

I know my stock doesnt seem to have enough room before it hits the pistol grip.
It is a bruno edge stock. If I put the but even with the back of the bag the recoil usually sends the pistol grip into or ONTO the ears.

Vern,
Perhaps you are shooting the rifle with too much space between your shoulder and the butt of the stock.
Boyd

Vern one way or another you are having a handling delema which is highlighted on the slick bench.jmo jim

Boyd, Jackie I figured there must be a handling problem somewhere just not sure where.
Most of the time there is not a lot of room but I try to keep enough room that I dont hit the bag with my body.
I am beginning to think I need a smaller bag.
Although I was now just sitting here playing back those sessions in my head, and I realized that lately I have begun pushing the gun back into position not so much with my shoulder but when I chamber the round. About the time it hits the front stop I am making the downward motion. Which would put some pressure on the right side of the bag moving it to the left and the sight pic to the right.

Now I have to work on any other bad problems I have acquired. I did not a couple of matches ago that the DR bag was so big I was resting my hand on the right front edge instead of my regular hand rest. So now I have to pay special attention not to touch the bag.

Vern, I once had a problem much like you decribe ( still do at times). I set up very near the edge of the bench and managed
to get my chest, ribs against the bag. At firing moment, I would lean a bit into the gun, actually moving the bag. I made a rear
bag thing out of steel, with a v on top, lined with a thin pc of leather. It weighed nearly 18 lbs and immoveable you say. Yup,
I could still move it at the wrong time. In time, It was found that sitting very square with the gun kept me away from the bag.
Mounting the scope a tad farther back and cranking the seat a bit higher has also helped. For me, the DR bag would be a problem.
RE: the slick bench, You can always spill some shooters choice or paint remover on that end of the bench. Whatever you clean
barrels with, LOL. I'm threatening to do just that.

Vern
I've had that problem from time to time and it has cost me quite a few missed x's. There seem to be several things that will do it. Most seem to be caused by either misalignment or the stock isn't slick enough. Be sure you use stock tape of maybe add some wax to the stock so that both sides slide smoothly. I use a Farley rest and I make sure the edge of the rest is alignined with the target I'm shooting. Then I align the front of the stock with the front of the rest. When I am careful with all these things, I don't have a problem with the bag shifting. I use a Gator bag.

Rick

If you're pistol grip ends up touching your rear bag ....what Boyd said. I also agree about making the stock more slick...I use well used dryer sheets. I also use a Farley and Gator bag. The Gator does not incorporate a built-in donut like the other Edgewoods, and I got movement from this 25# bag. I fixed this by buying .060" thick soft rubber anti-skid matting from MSC, and using silicone adhesive affixed it to the bag bottom.

I have had this problem on a few benches, (One that comes to mind is St Louis, they have very slick benchtops.) I have had good luck with taking my hand and wipping off the dust on the bench just where the bag will sit, and then wetting the bench down with water under the bag, sitting the bag down ontop of the wet area. (Just a light touch, you want most of the to water to dry under the bag before the round starts, So setting up as fast as you can to give you time before the rounds starts, is a good idea.) This seamed to help out a lot, and I have done it at other ranges with slick top with much sucess.

This is a question not an opinion,but would the mats used to rout small items work ? It is a pliable rubber mat about 1/16" thick and usually come in about 2 feet square. They will keep items in place while using a router and they will roll up for storage.I bought mine a few years ago at a woodworkers show , but your Lowes or Home Depot probably carry them. Another idea, the mats that you put in the bottom of tool boxes (waffle weave fabric rubber). probably easier to find. Ballard Shooter

Last edited:
Coca-Cola Classic

I once observed Sir Charles Huckeba placing some Coke under his rear bag at a Gulf Coast Region match. When asked about this practice He said it kept his rear bag from moving.......=)

TGCINSIGNIA-1.gif

Last edited:
You can place spacers, stabilizers, whatever under a rear bag. It can't be attached to the bag or the bench. Is this an arguable matter?

Thanks for all the advice guys.
I will try some of them tomorrow at the match.
Self stick sand paper and rubber mats.
I tried the water and that only worked for about one round.

There is a product used by artist and graphic designers made by 3M. It is a spray glue similar to the glue used on Post-it notes. Its not really glue more like stick-um.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/3m-spray-mount-artists-adhesive/

works great on super feet too.

Oh yeah, do not accidentally spray it on the top of the bags thinking it is silicone spray. It will induce a LOT of vertical in your groups. Don't ask me how i know.

Back