Rear Bag Hardness

The main parts of my rear bags are full, but not packed rock hard. the ears are slightly less than full, because if they were completely filled, the buttstocks of my rifles would not fit between them as I would like. IMO this common compromise probably reduces precision of rifle guidance during recoil.

J.,
Can only comment on 10-1/2 lb,3" forend 6ppc's.
I believe the bags ( front and rear) should capture the rifle's stock like an old catchers mitt capture's a base ball,this cradles the rifle solidly from a gravity perspective. One's shoulder should be immediately close and relaxed to the butt plate to control the recoil moment and to precipitate working the bolt and returning the gun to battery in a quick controlled motion.Free recoil guys have a different take on this.I have seen some horrendous set-ups on the line,and can only wonder at some competitors bag set up and competitive potential.Bags should be #1--conforming to the shape and rake angle of one's rifle and #2--soft enough to give a little and not spring board the rifle to a different horizontal or verticle plane upon firing.
Joel

Thank you Boyd and Joel.

Joel #1 and #2 were very helpful your discreption of those two items is exactly what I was looking for!

J.Louis

J.,
Can only comment on 10-1/2 lb,3" forend 6ppc's.
I believe the bags ( front and rear) should capture the rifle's stock like an old catchers mitt capture's a base ball,this cradles the rifle solidly from a gravity perspective. One's shoulder should be immediately close and relaxed to the butt plate to control the recoil moment and to precipitate working the bolt and returning the gun to battery in a quick controlled motion.Free recoil guys have a different take on this.I have seen some horrendous set-ups on the line,and can only wonder at some competitors bag set up and competitive potential.Bags should be #1--conforming to the shape and rake angle of one's rifle and #2--soft enough to give a little and not spring board the rifle to a different horizontal or verticle plane upon firing.
Joel

Adding to what Joel wrote here, I have had several of the top shooters (and Joel is one of them-the top shooters) tell me that one of the two bags CAN be hard but not both. Many times vertical in the group can be solved by readjusting the bags hardness.

Jerry thank you for your reply verticle dispersion is what prompted me to post the original question.

J.Louis

Back