reamer chatter - undersized o.d. non-standard bushing i.d.

savet06

Mike Suhie
Have a Clymer reamer with a bushing that is .002 undersize - not 0.0002, it measures .298 and usually I need .3004 for these barrels. My PTG bushings rattle around on the end of the reamer while the OEM slides on with no motion at all, very smooth. Did some checking and it seems that for a while clymers were "non-standard i.d." and now maybe they are?

I pre-drilled and bored the chamber and the first .500 or so went well, but as the cut finished it started to chatter. Tried feeding at a higher rate and no chatter..until the cutting stopped and then chatsky. Running at 50rpm which is slowest my machine will go. Four screw spider at each end

Would the wax paper method along with some high pressure lube on the bushing (suggested by a friend) help the situation? The reamer is very sharp and has not cut many chambers.
I am not able to find a source for the older, if that is the case, reamer pilots.
Any help is appreciated!
Haven't run into chatter before so have not had to troubleshoot this and never had a bushing this undersize.
Still have another .500 to go on a 30x47 so hoping that I can get under the chatter and finish strong.

Last edited:
take the bushing off
i do not know when i last used a bushing
but as far as chatter..i got no clue
bushing pushing reamer out of alignment of the pre bore setup ??

Wrap it in wax paper. Slow speed. May have to do it several times to get it to settle down. Just in case I keep precut paper by my machine.

Try leaving the lathe off! and turn the reamer by hand {if you have a floating reamer holder} turn the reamer ten revolotion for every .001 in feed. take .020 to .025 cut then try using power.

If the chatter is on the neck shoulder you can feel it when you turn the reamer by hand slowly!

I can't explain why but it worked once for me.....

Russ

Thank you very much for the replies as it is much appreciated!
I will give the wax paper a go, and then try the hand feeding method if that doesn't go (I flipped a coin).
I will let you know how it goes,
Mike

And the wax paper did the trick. Two passes and then all went smooth with a nice finish in the end.
Thanks!

I may have fist pumped like Tiger a few times when the borescope showed a chatter free finish and the lands cut concentric. I had also run into some chatter in my threads. An insidious change that would show up on some passes and not others - loose gibs on the back side of the apron and bingo. I hand cranked the threads with the half nuts engaged and was able to shave off the chatter and not change the dimensions of the threads more than .002 (the chatter was very minor, but kept me up last night).
Happy days!
Mike

Just another option for those that find this thread in the future. I've successfully used a cleaning patch in place of the wax paper. Same concept, different material.

Wrap it in wax paper. Slow speed. May have to do it several times to get it to settle down. Just in case I keep precut paper by my machine.

Dave:

So sorry for the potential stupid question...........

So, do you wrap a piece of wax paper around the reamer and run it in? Is it that simple?

Doesn't the paper shred and clog the areas where chips would accumulate?

Just trying to understand............thanks for your patience

kev

Dave:

So, do you wrap a piece of wax paper around the reamer and run it in? Is it that simple?

kev

That's how I do it, one pass and change to a new wrap

Dave:

kev

Wrap the bushing in wax paper.
It may take a couple turns.
Turn the reamer by hand.

A roll of wax paper lives in my metal shop.
I cut off a section on the band saw the correct width.
Put the piece back in the box of wax paper.

For years we used plain copy paper.
Then one of the 'older' gents brought in wax paper.
The thin layer of paraffin allowed the wax paper to move against the surfaces.

Last edited:
Dave:

kev

I think, essentially yes! The reamer easily cuts through a couple of wraps of wax paper and the paper fills the flutes, dampening vibration. This is not empiracal proof but is what I think it does...fwiw....but it does work miracles.

I am definitely not Dave, but I put a single wrap of wax paper from the neck to the bottom of the reamer. Just enough to overlap.
Ran it in with the machine running and went in about .025. Took it out, new sheet, ran it in .025 again and then once more, and the chatter was cleaned up. Ran the reamer in with no paper and no chatter noted.
Mike

Back