read this on another forum

P

parkj5

New Shilen Action
« on: March 20, 2010, 09:41:13 PM » Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today at the Shilen Swap Meet, Shilen introduced their new rifle/action. Wade Hull had given a description of this action to me last year. He shoot this action in registered benchrest matches for most of last year and no one even noticed way it was. I didn't get to make it to the Swap Meet, but this is the rifle description I saw on a different forum:

"Shilen introduced their new rifle. It is a real great concept. An exact Remington footprint, Savage barrel setup, Savage boltnose, and an excellent Remington type Shilen trigger. It will come as a complete rifle with either a McMillan stock or A very nice custom walnut stock. I believe they will offer barreled receivers and receivers for the do it yourselfers. Change barrels easily and or bolt noses and you can have the ultimate switch barrel for a lot less money than several rifles."

"Wade said the actions would be around $1100, the quality looks top notch. They will be offered in a solid bottom "Benchrest Style", (the DGV, for Darned Good Varminter), a repeater, (DGR, for Darned Good Repeater), in long or short action, left or right hand, and in bolt faces 223, 6PPC, .473, and .523 magnum."

At $1100, this is action is much higher that even a target action with a T&T job. However, it makes all of the Remington stocks available and it accepts a traditional Remington trigger (which means a Jewel drop in). Wade told me previously that this would be available only with small shank thread size, but he never mentioned the magnum boltface last year so I don't know if they almost have a large shank option.

New Shilen Action
« on: March 20, 2010, 09:41:13 PM » Quote

----------------------------------------------------------------
At $1100, this is action is much higher that even a target action with a T&T job.

I don't think that's an accurate statement. A BAT action easily costs $1,100.

And if a "target action" is supposed to equate to a high-quality custom action, then why would it need whatever a "T&T job" is?

If "target action" implies a mass-produced factory action, like a Rem 700, then I suppose a target rifle is anything from a Ruger 77 to a Rem 700 with a plastic stock and factory barrel.

i have no idea but i kinda figured someone on here would.i would like to know if they are selling them i have been trying to find a long action dga for a while.almost give up but not yet.

Called them this afternoon; should be taking orders after April 1. Price not yet certain...might be lower?

ON other forums I've heard this will be a BR quality action off CNC equipment etc. I'm not an expert so I have no idea exactly how high the quality will be.

The person I spoke to at Shilen suggested that a full rifle might be in the $3200 range.

I'm interested because I have a savage-based rifle that I've been upgrading and could use my current barrel on this. But first I'm going to have my current action worked on, better trigger and then see if I am really that much more interested. I've got too many expensive hobbies!

gordon

I don't think that's an accurate statement. A BAT action easily costs $1,100.

And if a "target action" is supposed to equate to a high-quality custom action, then why would it need whatever a "T&T job" is?

If "target action" implies a mass-produced factory action, like a Rem 700, then I suppose a target rifle is anything from a Ruger 77 to a Rem 700 with a plastic stock and factory barrel.

My quess is "The Target Action" they are referring too is Savages "Target action". At the present time the only way to get a 2oz trigger on a Savage is to send it out for "Timing and Trueing" and have the Evolution trigger installed at that time.
Seems they made a hybrid action by combining the best features of a Savage and Remington action. Not a bad idea at all IMO. More and more casual accuracy shooters are enjoying the ease and economy of the barrel nut and switchable floating bolthead. Shilen has been enjoying brisk business producing quality Savage replacement barrels as of late.
Seems they just decided to merge the two actions to get rid of the weak points in a Sav design.

I would hope fit and function is greatly improved over a factory action of any make ie true custom quality.

Back