re loading supplies questions

p5200

I'm wanting to get started reloading for my Savage 10fp .223 but, have no clue of exactly what I need as far as a good press and other needed accessories. I found this kit http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=646599 would I be better off not, buying a kit and just buy a decent press digital powder scales, caliper and all the other things needed? I would like accurate gauges for safety and so I can duplicate my loads once I find the one my gun likes best. I will be reloading mostly for bench shooting at 100-200 yards. Thanks for all info! :)

I will offer my two cents worth.
I bought a kit to take up reloading. I got bit by the bug and loved reloading.
I now have a buch of stuff (crap) that I will never use.
Buy quality stuff first time around and you won't have to do it all over.
Get a good press, dial calipers, scale(s) ect. Figure out what you want to load for in the long run (hunting, target ect.) and gear up for that. You will save a bunch of denero.
I feel I have replaced just about everything I started with.

Good luck!

Tim

The link is to a progressive press, which is a great thing to have if you go through a lot of ammo, but not really appropriate for starters. I would first buy a reloading book from Sierra, Nosler, Hornady, Speer, it doesn't matter which, and read about the process. Then buy a press, scales, and appropriate dies from wherever you can. Online is good, Midway is one source. Don't be afraid to ask, there are no stupid questions, search the other forums, this one is for advanced benchrest shooters. Everyone has to start at the beginning, welcome to the club.

The link is to a progressive press, which is a great thing to have if you go through a lot of ammo, but not really appropriate for starters. I would first buy a reloading book from Sierra, Nosler, Hornady, Speer, it doesn't matter which, and read about the process. Then buy a press, scales, and appropriate dies from wherever you can. Online is good, Midway is one source. Don't be afraid to ask, there are no stupid questions, search the other forums, this one is for advanced benchrest shooters. Everyone has to start at the beginning, welcome to the club.

second

al

The Rockchucker kit is a great beginner kit. I started with it many, many years ago. I still use that press.

I have a different opinion of kits. I would recommend the kit. It has everything you need to get you cranking out reloads right now. All you need is brass, bullets, powder, and primers. Everything else is in the kit. Later, if you want to expand, or get better equipment, then add it at your convenience or when you can afford it. Keep the equipment you upgrade. If your new electronic scale fails, you have a back up balance beam to use.

If you're just getting started and have very limited funds, the kit you refer to is adequate after you've added the shell holder and dies. But you will find, eventually, that you will want to improve on some of the items and expand on others. If you can afford to take one step up, spend some time with an experienced reloader in your area. Look at his/her reloading equipment and talk about what's available.
For example, you mention digital scales. Some reloaders like them; I wouldn't have one on my bench. Will you want RCBS, Wilson, Lee, or Redding dies. Will you want a turret press, single stage press, open or closed frame, arbor press .... the list of questions gets quite long in a very short time.
Ask experienced reloaders what they use and, equally important, "why" they chose what they use. For example, I am currently reloading with a Lyman turret press. It's fine for some applications but it's not what I want to use when it comes to full length resizing. I prefer the RCBS rock chucker for that. I use the RCBS Uniflow Powder measure when I need to crank out a large quantity of ammo in last minute preparation for an unexpected invitation to do a day or two of squirrel hunting, but I prefer to work with a higher degree of accuracy when putting five rounds in the same hole at 600 yards (just dreaming folks, don't get nervous) :D is my goal.
Sorry to take up so much room here. Just don't want you to spend money unnecessarily and end up with surplus gear you won't want in a short time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kit

Go with the kit. RCBS has an excellent warranty program if you need them. With the kit you have everything you need, except powder, bullets,brass and primers. That's another thread.

p5200 ...

I'm wanting to get started reloading for my Savage 10fp .223 but, have no clue of exactly what I need as far as a good press and other needed accessories. I found this kit http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=646599 Would I be better off not, buying a kit and just buy a decent press digital powder scales, caliper and all the other things needed? I would like accurate gauges for safety and so I can duplicate my loads once I find the one my gun likes best. I will be reloading mostly for bench shooting at 100-200 yards. Thanks for all info! :)

I purchased the same kit 3 years ago on my brother's suggestion [he happens to be a hunter]. The only parts I currently use are the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage Press ... as a backup to my Forster Co-Axial Press, the lube and lube pad, priming tool, deburring tool and hex key set.

Here's my suggestion for a solid foundation that you can build around ... with all the other peripheral pieces you'll eventually decide you need and just can't do without:

1. Forster Co-Axial Press
2. RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 Combo

:)

Attachments

• Forster CO-AX Press.gif
    Forster CO-AX Press.gif
    18.7 KB · Views: 164
  • ChargeMaster.jpg
    ChargeMaster.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 168
I would get a cheap single stage press.$40
I would get a RCBS 10-10 scale.$100
I would get a 6 inch digital chinese caliper from Harbor Freight.$12
I would get a Sinclair priming tool.$100
I would buy a decent funnel.$10
I would get a cheap chamfering tool.$5
I would buy some Redding dies.$100
There are a ton of gadgets out there that you don't need but everybody buys them.The press is only used to run the brass into the dies and my 60 year old Pacific worth $15 does this job as well as my $850 Corbin.
You don't need a powder thrower or trickler at all.I use a dedicated glass cup to hold my powder and a dedicated spoon to add it to the scales pan.I trickle all my powder by pinching it between my thumb and forefinger and dribbling it into the pan.I do however own atleast 3 tricklers and 3 or more powder measurers.I keep going back to the basics time and time again.
Your only two big dollar items in my opinion would be a Wilson case trimmer and only get that if you truly need it and the other would be a Sinclair priming tool.
I have a very large room full of the latest and greatest stuff made and most of it never gets used at all.
Avoid anything electronic.
Waterboy

I like the reply by Lynn. If there is one thing to remember, it is not to be brand loyal. All the companies make some good equipment and some crap, being brand loyal can get you crap that you will not use once you have some experience.

If you are considering a single stage look hard at the Lee "Cast Iron Classic". I`ve a Co-Ax, RCBS Jr, Lyman Orange Crusher on my bench, and had a RockChucker. From what I`ve seen while looking the big Lee over in the local shop and talking to owners it is a hard act to follow today for the $$.
Well it ain`t a Co-Ax but that`s a whole `nother ball game.

If you're loading only for a .223 and other smallish cases an RCBS Partner press works fine, and you might even be able to pick one up used for not much money. A lot of people think that they're junk, but if Jackie Schmidt uses them for loading his benchrest ammunition they can't be that bad. Their only problem is that then tend to spit spent primers on the floor which is easily remedied.

A good powder scale, preferably a beam balance like the RCBS/Ohaus 10-10 or 505 (I still use the 505 I got nearly 40 years ago) is needed, and a good powder measure is handy. Redding's measures are pricier than some others but good quality and repeatable. I'd heard great things about Lee's measure, bought one and became utterly frustrated with it. The RCBS and Lyman measures aren't consistent or difficult to set repeatably.

Just about any dies will load ammunition that goes bang, and although others swear by Lee's dies I have had only so-so luck with them. In my experience Hornady's dies work well and produce good ammunition. For more money Redding's bushing dies and competition seaters are hard to beat.

Lee's little hand priming tool isn't great, but it's okay, inexpensive, and easy to use.

Although I hate to recommend anything from China a set of their dial calipers will work until you decide you want something better. Check tool supply outfits for good prices on good tools. I use a set of 4" Mitutoyo's that I bought for $15 nearly 40 years ago and they're still working like champs. A Sinclair comparator is inexpensive and one of the best ways to allow bullets seated where you want them. Stoney Point, now Hornady, makes a "headspace" gauge which is actually a sizing gauge that allows you to measure how much you're sizing your cases for optimum accuracy and case life.

There's a load of other stuff that you can buy of more or less use, but that is usually acquired as time flies by.

One thing that's really necessary is at least one good up to date loading manual. They contain a lot of information and are needed when you're starting out or trying something different.

Imperial sizing die wax is an outstanding sizing lube too!

As Al pointed out a progressive press is not a good thing to learn on and without a lot of attention can lead to problems that are harder to come by with a single stage press.

Thanks very much for all the good info. I guess if I would have given a max amount it would have helped a lot sorry folks! :eek: I am waiting on a settlement to come in and could probably go as high as 1000-$1200.00 as a max range not counting the powder, bullets, and primers etc. Thanks again! :)

Joe,

Putting the consumables aside, be patient save up and buy the best. You'll spend more money playing catch-up than you would have buying the best first; I write from experience.
The best equipment will become a family heirloom!

Reloading equipment

p5200: A lot of excellent advice, just what you asked for. I also do not believe in the "starter kits" offered by some manufacturers. A few of their included items may be the best and you will always use them, but there will be others that are not, and they will sit in a corner somewhere gathering dust. It's tough to beat a RCBS Rockchucker press: they are built to last, a very long time, and I frequently see them for sale at very reasonable prices. Ditto on keeping away from progressive presses. Had a Dillon 450 when I needed large quantities of 45 ACP, and it produced excellent ammo for my match competitions, but must be used with extreme care. I know several people who placed quantity over quality and destroyed their match built 45 Auto's, with double charges of powder or no powder at all with a bullet stuck in the barrel and another fired on top! Great, very high quality tool, with excellent customer service, but not for a beginner. Ditto for the "made in China" digital dial calipers. I have one ($14) and use it right alongside my Mitutoyo and $$$$ Starrett. A good reloading manual is one of the first steps required. For someone starting out, the Lyman #49 contains a lot of info, and loads are not confined to one manufacturers bullets or powders. Take your time, think before buying, and seek the advice of others who have been loading for a while. And, most of all, ask questions.;)

Although I'm not a long time reloader, I began with an arbor press (Harrell) along with SS Wilson neck and seater dies, and can't see any change in my future. Other gear from Harrell includes a BR powder drop and a compact press for initial full sizing. I still scale all of my loads on a Redding #2 and use a Wilson case trimmer.

I guess it would be in my best interest to just go with the single stage press then as I'm not going to need several hundred rounds per hour reloaded. Due to age and health issues I'm not going to be shooting near as much as I'd like but, I would enjoy being able to find a load that my gun can group really well with. :) I was shooting the cheap PMC ammo one day just at 50 yards wasn't terrible but just wasn't what I'd call good either. I happen to have a box of the Hornady V-Max molly 55 grain. Well, I never even cleaned the barrel just loaded 5 rounds the first 2 went into the same hole then the third, fourth, and fifth all into the same hole so I stopped right there. :D probably luck but, it did make me want to learn to reload some of equal or, better ammo my gun would like at cheaper cost since I'm on a fixed income. I guess a good electronic scale, and other good measuring tools is what is needed most, along with good manuals to achieve good consistency between rounds once I find the gun's favorite loads. So, I guess a good single stage press is all I really need. I appreciate all the great knowledgeable advice and patience. :)

Back