Re-chamber Ar-15 barrel?

A

aremington1

Can a AR-15 Palma barrel be re-chamber? After 5,000 rounds of 5.56 Nato, has lost accuracy.Barrel in question stainless steel and 26.5" long.

On a bolt gun you cut off the barrel tenon, rethread, chamber, and headspace. Easy as pie, but on a Gas gun... (for which I am unfamiliar) what about the gas port? Something has to be done there... Right?

Paul

Yup, it'd seem that having two gas ports in the barrel wouldn't be a good idea, and the one that's already there moved closer to the bolt wouldn't probably be a good idea either. The gas ports tend to erode too, so at 5000 rounds it's likely time for a new barrel.

After the expense of setting the barrel back you'd only have saved the cost of a barrel blank anyway.

yes it can be done.
where is your gas port now ? stock rifle or out at plus something ?

but when done it will be a 2-2.5 shorter bbl and probably will not work for palma.
if a quality bbl..i is worth the time and effort IF it can be used in its new shorter config.

for a short range blasting gun chop chamber and shoot.

mike in co

and your loss of accuracy at 800/900/1000 maybe nothing at 1/2/300....

Gas port is standard for rifle and gas tube. Muzzle is turned for front sight tower as well.Barrel is made by Krieger here in Wi.

off hand i'd say the bbl is good for another 3-5000 rounds...at shorter range.

you decide what you want to do.......

you can make a short range sercive rifle, a blasting gun or move on to your next palma bbl.

if you want to sell the used bbl email/pm me.

i need more bbls to practice one.

thanks
mike in co

Question

Mike:

Is this AR15 a gas gun or space gun IE: AR15 working as a bolt action single shot?

I have never hear of someone shooting an AR-15 gas gun as a Palma rifle.

Eventhough I think a 223 can be shot in a Palma match the palma guns I am familiar with are shooting 308 (SAAMI or CIP spec) or 7.62 Nato with 155 to 156 grain bullets. These rifle use matalic or single lens metalic sights. (no scopes) I beleive German Salizar and some others were trying to compete with .223 rifls in the Palma class. In my opinion in short and medium range the .223 can hold it's own. I don't beleive it can compete on the same playing field with a 308 at 800, 900, and 1000 yards.

There are chapters of rules in the NRA and Palma (Full bore rule books).

There is an extreme difference in short range shooting and long range shooting equipment. There is an extreme difference in Service Rifle, Match rifle, and Palma, and Long Range Prone.

Your post has me guessing. I know short range shooters who shoot their rifles 5000 rounds without any competetive problems. Usually at the last 500-1000 rounds they see a loss is vertical. I know of very few High Master Long Range shoters who shoot their 308 rifles more than 3000-3500 rounds even with a set back at 2200-2400 rounds. Those shooting Longrange prone with 6.5 X .284 or other hotter cartridges are lucky to get 1600 round of barrel life.

The Palma rifles that I am familair with, to be competetive have to hold .5moa. I have not seen any barrels with 5000 rounds on them that I would take the time and expense to set back.

Nat Lambeth

Last edited:
nat,
i'm confused by the poster also.
he says 5.56 nato ammo in a 26" "palma" ar15.

i make a habit of making short range( 300yd) rifles fron "shot out" high power bbls.
the most common practice is to just re crown and shoot as is. 2" at 300 is not great, but will do for a lot of club level shooting.

i have a bbl right now from a bushmaster hp gun that has over 10,000 rounds through it and rechambered at 17.5 shoots moa......my hand loaded ball(55fmj).

think we need more info from the poster

mike in co

Nat, this isn't pertinent to the original poster's question(s), but the NRA has changed their Palma rules to allow bolt-action 223 rifles to qualify as a Palma rifle; before, only service rifle configured AR15s chambered for unmodified 223 qualified as a 'Palma rifle'.

A 223 bolt rifle with a 1:7.5tw. bbl. will shoot Berger or JLK 90 VLDs fast enough using RL15 or N550 to be very competitive with a 308 shooting 155s at 1000yds. Check out Jerry T.'s posts on this at LRTargetShooting.com.

Barrel is marked .223 Rem. not 5.56 Nato. Should this make a difference on trying to re-chamber for a new throat?
Barrel shot 80 gr.bullets single shot,75 hp through mag.I have not shot in a Palma match.Just want to save the money for powder,primers and bullets.I understand that it may need to be set back matters not if it ends up as a mid length rifle.
Thank you for all the info provided thus far.

5.56 chamber is more "forgiving" than a 223. typically find 5.56 on "assault" style, mil style, blasting rifles. 223 is typical of a "match" or varmit" ar.

while the mil has some 77 gr ammo, i would not call 75/80 match ammo "5.56 nato".which kinda lead us astray.

if you can have it done locally , done well go ahead, btu it will not be a long range match rifle at that point..and the gas port issue adds cost for any kind of target type match shooting.

mike in co

Back