RBA vs IR 50 50

Slowshot

17 years ago, I attended an RBA (Rimfire Benchrest Association) competition in Olympia Washington. My friend and shooting mentor Kimberly was shooting that day, so I went along to see what it was all about. The result was I became very interested in the cool targets and the scoring system. It also prompted me to begin buying high quality 22 LR rifles and associated gear. One of the guys at that match sold me the Remington 37 I have shown in pictures here and on other shooting sites. That was the end of any restraint on my part. You all know how that goes.

Now RBA has ceased to exist, while I have dozens of RBA 25 bull 50 yard targets that I use for practice days.

So, how is IR 50 50 different from RBA?

17 years ago, I attended an RBA (Rimfire Benchrest Association) competition in Olympia Washington. My friend and shooting mentor Kimberly was shooting that day, so I went along to see what it was all about. The result was I became very interested in the cool targets and the scoring system. It also prompted me to begin buying high quality 22 LR rifles and associated gear. One of the guys at that match sold me the Remington 37 I have shown in pictures here and on other shooting sites. That was the end of any restraint on my part. You all know how that goes.

Now RBA has ceased to exist, while I have dozens of RBA 25 bull 50 yard targets that I use for practice days.

If I'm not mistaken the scoring rings on the RBA target were a little smaller than the IR50 target. Not sure if there any major differences in how they were scored or how the match procedures and rules differ

RBA 10 ring is a little smaller same best edge scoring. up until a couple months ago we shot that as our UL target. at the club I shoot RBA was a sanctioned match. I joined too late and never shot it as a sanctioned match. targets supply has dried up, so we have gone to the ARA UL I wish we would go ARA sanctioned but know that won't happen as more than half the factory shooters would drop out.

Lee

If I'm not mistaken the scoring rings on the RBA target were a little smaller than the IR50 target. Not sure if there any major differences in how they were scored or how the match procedures and rules differ
Pat, that is correct the 10 ring is a little smaller than the iR 50 same best edge scoring.

Lee

Over the years I've recorded scoring ring sizes for various targets as I came across the info on the web. I don't usually record dimensions like this unless I'm confident in the info. However, I no longer recall where I got the data for either target. Below is what I have for IR50 and RBA.

IR50/50
X =.0312
10 =.250
9 =.500
8 =.750
7 =1.000
6 =1.250
5 =1.500

RBA
X =.030
10 =.225
9 =.450
8 =.675
7 =.900
6 =1.125
5 =1.350

Over the years I've recorded scoring ring sizes for various targets as I came across the info on the web. I don't usually record dimensions like this unless I'm confident in the info. However, I no longer recall where I got the data for either target. Below is what I have for IR50 and RBA.

IR50/50
X =.0312
10 =.250
9 =.500
8 =.750
7 =1.000
6 =1.250
5 =1.500

RBA
X =.030
10 =.225
9 =.450
8 =.675
7 =.900
6 =1.125
5 =1.350
Didn't realize the 10-ring difference were 0.025. here is a visual comparison. your numbers seem to be correct. I will say shooting the RBA and then shooting the ARA UL I had to tell myself to not worry about x count on the ARA and try to keep the shot inside the inner blue edge. at first it did cause problems for me mentally.
I think Tony said once there is ARA ammo and then there is iR50/50, I understand now what he meant.

Lee
1702831041160.jpeg

Last edited:
Slowshot, you know there are sanctioned IR 50/50 matches held at Capital City Rifle and Pistol Club? They hold 3 gun matches but if you don't have a sporter you can just shoot the10.5 and 13.5 class'

Slowshot, you know there are sanctioned IR 50/50 matches held at Capital City Rifle and Pistol Club? They hold 3 gun matches but if you don't have a sporter you can just shoot the10.5 and 13.5 class'
How do I get a schedule of matches?. I have a sporter (CZ 452 with Don Stith Sporter stock) and a 10.5. (Anschutz MPR). I no longer have a 13.5 class rifle. I guess I could shoot the MPR as a heavy.

How do I get a schedule of matches?. I have a sporter (CZ 452 with Don Stith Sporter stock) and a 10.5. (Anschutz MPR). I no longer have a 13.5 class rifle. I guess I could shoot the MPR as a heavy.
The new schedule will start showing up soon on the IR50/50 website. I just checked, and as of now, there are no listings for 2024. Dennis D. in post #8 can probably message you Capital City R&P Club's IR schedule for 2024. I shoot a little bit of IR and I do not know of anyone that shoots 2 rifles in the heavy classes. All the guys I shoot with use one rifle for both 10.5 and 13.5. There are very good reasons for that. Familiarity with just one rifle, and lower $$'s/time spent obtaining ammo for one rifle instead of two. Not to mention the cost of building a new custom or finding a good used one.

Scott

The new schedule will start showing up soon on the IR50/50 website. I just checked, and as of now, there are no listings for 2024. Dennis D. in post #8 can probably message you Capital City R&P Club's IR schedule for 2024. I shoot a little bit of IR and I do not know of anyone that shoots 2 rifles in the heavy classes. All the guys I shoot with use one rifle for both 10.5 and 13.5. There are very good reasons for that. Familiarity with just one rifle, and lower $$'s/time spent obtaining ammo for one rifle instead of two. Not to mention the cost of building a new custom or finding a good used one.

Scott
Thanks for the information. The "new and improved" MPR is called an Anschutz 1761 MPR. I just bought one from Freeland. Mine is still at the local gun shop, waiting for the Washington State Patrol to release it to me. It has been there since a week ago Monday. The gun shop guys say 3-10 days is now normal as the State Patrol releases in batches, rather than one at a time.

So, I don't know yet exactly what I have. My old original MPR out shot my 54 action bag rider. I can only hope the new one is as accurate as the old one that I sold for reasons I no longer remember.

My CZ is a fine little gun. I am very lucky to have a Don Stith Sporter Class stock for it. If you have not seen it, here is a recent picture:

Attachments

• BR Setup with CZ.jpg
    BR Setup with CZ.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 7
Sounds like you are all set, as long as the new Annie makes weight with glass and rings. We who shoot IR 3-gun will always be happy to help with new shooters joining our ranks. Most fun you can have shooting sanctioned RFBR! IMO

Best of luck.......Scott

Sounds like you are all set, as long as the new Annie makes weight with glass and rings. We who shoot IR 3-gun will always be happy to help with new shooters joining our ranks. Most fun you can have shooting sanctioned RFBR! IMO

Best of luck.......Scott
Naked, the new MPR weighs: 7.72 lbs. I am sure I can mount a scope and rings within a total weight under 10.5 Lbs. I assume light sporter has a 6X rule. Is there a scope restriction for the 10.5 lb. class?

No restriction on scope power for heavy gun. 6.5X max on Sporter which allows some light variables to make weight. I see about 50/50 split on guys running fixed 6X and guys running taped variables. Referee checks scope before the match and tapes the power ring at 6.5X. The IR50/50 website has a complete set of rules that are current as of this year. I do not know if there will be changes for 2024.

Scott

No restriction on scope power for heavy gun. 6.5X max on Sporter which allows some light variables to make weight. I see about 50/50 split on guys running fixed 6X and guys running taped variables. Referee checks scope before the match and tapes the power ring at 6.5X. The IR50/50 website has a complete set of rules that are current as of this year. I do not know if there will be changes for 2024.

Scott
That is the same as RBA. I have no fixed 6X. I do have a Leupold 6.5-20X40 EFR. That should work just fine. Even my Nikon 6-18X40 should make weight with my CZ. For 10.5 or heavy, I would probably use a Weaver T-36. I will check out the 2024 rules and see what changes I may need to prepare for.

Slowshot, Cap citiy usually gets the schedule out in late Jan. or early Feb. I'll let you know when I get it and you can also check on the IR website. For the last few years it's been club matches the second Sat., April through August. Then State and Regionals the fourth Sat. in May and June. All of us use our 10.5 guns for both heavy classes. For the first couple of years I used my sporter for all three classes using a Leopold 6.5X20. If you need some loaner rests or bags I can help you out there too. We're pretty low key we just like to shoot and BS. Hope you come out and shoot with us.

Dennis

+1 on the 6.5-20 EFR. One of my Sporters has one on it. The other a Leupold Mark 4 Tactical 4.5-14 that was custom shopped.
Slowshot, you just got a good support post from Dennis up above. He's the top dog on the west coast for IR 3-gun. He has a very high ranking nationally. I don't know him, but IMO, a good guy to rub elbows with.

Also, your Annie can survive more weight than just a T-36, if you want to upgrade from that.

Hope you take advantage of that club. There is some good competition there and several experienced shooters out of that club. Shooting IR 3-gun will be almost exactly the same as RBA, with the positive of a slightly more generous target.

Scott

Slowshot, Cap citiy usually gets the schedule out in late Jan. or early Feb. I'll let you know when I get it and you can also check on the IR website. For the last few years it's been club matches the second Sat., April through August. Then State and Regionals the fourth Sat. in May and June. All of us use our 10.5 guns for both heavy classes. For the first couple of years I used my sporter for all three classes using a Leopold 6.5X20. If you need some loaner rests or bags I can help you out there too. We're pretty low key we just like to shoot and BS. Hope you come out and shoot with us.

Dennis
Thanks. I will watch for the schedule. I have all the gear I need and more. I recently sold my SEB Neo Rest, mainly because it got too heavy for me to move it around without hurting myself. I still have the setup I have shown in a picture of my light sporter. I can still carry all of that without hurting myself. Here is that setup with my CZ 452 and its Don Stith sporter class stock:

Attachments

• BR Setup with CZ.jpg
    BR Setup with CZ.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 8
That looks perfect. I just sold my Neo a couple months back, just couldn't get use to the joystick. What's there and a set of flags and spotting scope is all you really need. See you in the spring. Oh, and a sun shade or umbrella to keep the sun out of your eyes first thing in the morning. We shoot double matches so that's six targets.

That looks perfect. I just sold my Neo a couple months back, just couldn't get use to the joystick. What's there and a set of flags and spotting scope is all you really need. See you in the spring. Oh, and a sun shade or umbrella to keep the sun out of your eyes first thing in the morning. We shoot double matches so that's six targets.
I have everything on your list.

Back