Rate the most popular Custom Actions

Thanks Jackie, for the brief expanded info

I was under the impression that the variuos Hastelloy alloys owe their existance to the need for a material that will withstand extremey costic and acidic inviroments at elevated temperatures. Most are as much as 20 percent Chromium, and 60 percent Nickel, with a big dose of Molybdenum thrown in. The specific alloy content is user specific, depending on the types of acids or other destructive agents that willbe encountered.
None are known for their high tensil and yeild strengths that can be obtained when compared to regular structural alloys, (4140, 4340, etc), or the precipitating hardenning stainless steels.
It's a B**** to machine. I would just as soon it stays where it is.......jackie

That was my understanding also, That in a rifle action no Hastalloy would offer anything that a normal room temperature high tensile steel wouldn't.

Shoot better
Peter

That's where Hastelloys belong

We use hastelloy valve components and tubing quite frequently in my industry (oil and gas).

And they have excelent thermal/chemical/corossion resistant properties.

Shoot better
Peter

My, this thread has gotten a bit off of the original question. It won't be the first, or the last time.

If we confine our discussion to products produced by BAT, Kelbly, Hall, Farley, Stiller, Borden, and Nesica, I am not sure that there would be a detectable amount of difference in accuracy potential between any of them. Furthermore, how would you tell? With the right barrel, chambering job, stocking job, bullets, scope, and load workup, I think that all are capable of producing a winning agg. What we are left with are preferences with regard to things other than raw accuracy potential such as whether a desired configuration is available, operating ease (bolt lift/smoothness, ejection system etc.), and aesthetic preferences. I think that there are more significant differences in accuracy potential between barrels, scopes, and bullets, than actions. I am amazed that within our little sport, that we have so much that is excellent to choose from.

Boyd there is no more accurate post in this thread than yours

My, this thread has gotten a bit off of the original question. It won't be the first, or the last time.

If we confine our discussion to products produced by BAT, Kelbly, Hall, Farley, Stiller, Borden, and Nesica, I am not sure that there would be a detectable amount of difference in accuracy potential between any of them. Furthermore, how would you tell? With the right barrel, chambering job, stocking job, bullets, scope, and load workup, I think that all are capable of producing a winning agg. What we are left with are preferences with regard to things other than raw accuracy potential such as whether a desired configuration is available, operating ease (bolt lift/smoothness, ejection system etc.), and aesthetic preferences. I think that there are more significant differences in accuracy potential between barrels, scopes, and bullets, than actions. I am amazed that within our little sport, that we have so much that is excellent to choose from.

Thanks kindly.

Shoot better
Peter

Boyd

The simple truth is, a trued up Factory Action, such as a Remington, with a real killer barrel will outshoot the most sophisticated Custom made, but has a average tube installed.........jackie

PPP MMM,

'Yer welcome.

Jackie,
Right on!

One more thing, once, some time ago, I asked Bob Dodd about sleeving 700s, and about gluing a sleeved vs. unsleeved 700 into a modern carbon fiber based Benchrest stock. He said that if both were glued in, that there would be no accuracy advantage to the sleeve.

Some time later I had the chance to have a good shooting tuned up 722 based, benchrest barreled (heavy Hart, .244 neck .222) glued into an EDGE prototype (thanks Kelly). It took a step up in accuracy that was easy to see. I think that one reason that Factory actions may not do their best, is that few are gluing them in. Furthermore, because of their marginal bedding area, I think that they have the most to gain from this type of bedding.

Jackie-It's funny you've said that

The simple truth is, a trued up Factory Action, such as a Remington, with a real killer barrel will outshoot the most sophisticated Custom made, but has a average tube installed.........jackie

As a friend of mine had trued a 1917 Enfield square thread action, put a straight blank match barrel on it chambered in 7MM Remington that was shooting 140gr/3450fps into 25mm/300metres five shot groups.
Glass bedded in massive fibreglass stock.
The long travel/sledge hammer like firing pin and the trigger was left unaltered. Go figures.

Shoot better
Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
PPP MMM,

'Yer welcome.

Jackie,
Right on!

One more thing, once, some time ago, I asked Bob Dodd about sleeving 700s, and about gluing a sleeved vs. unsleeved 700 into a modern carbon fiber based Benchrest stock. He said that if both were glued in, that there would be no accuracy advantage to the sleeve.

Some time later I had the chance to have a good shooting tuned up 722 based, benchrest barreled (heavy Hart, .244 neck .222) glued into an EDGE prototype (thanks Kelly). It took a step up in accuracy that was easy to see. I think that one reason that Factory actions may not do their best, is that few are gluing them in. Furthermore, because of their marginal bedding area, I think that they have the most to gain from this type of bedding.

I had an XR-100 action in my hand the other day and with no magazine cutout, it has a nice bedding surface on the bottom. Was thinking about one of those for a 6.5x284, but, again, they run almost as much as the customs, by the time you pay for the stock and stuff, that I would not re-use.

Back