R.I.P. Sid Goodling

Jim Pag

The benchrest community lost one of the best today. My gunsmith and friend Sid Goodling passed away. Sid went down hill pretty fast this last month. He is truly at piece now. A lot of people are going to miss u buddy. He was one of the nicest, most personable and all around great guys that I had the pleasure of knowing. God bless you Sid and see u on the other side.

Last edited:
Oh no, I was hoping the bell would never toll for Sid. He was such a nice guy, I know we will all miss him.
Joel

Sid was truly one of the good guys. Not only was he a great gunsmith and shooter, but he was a great man. We in the shooting community are truly diminished.

Attachments

• gregandsid.jpg
    gregandsid.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 621
I received a text about this today. I met Sid around 20+ yrs. ago. great guy just did his thing and stayed away from all the b.s this is a true loss to bench rest....R.I.P.

Sid was a fine gunsmith and a tough competitor who devoted many more hours practicing his trade then he did at the range. A top competitor, he was a humble man who would put aside his own interests at a match to help anyone who may have encountered an issue. Truly a good all around guy and family man whose knowledge of craft and warm smile will be missed by many who knew him.

My condolences to his family, his friends and all who had the pleasure of meeting him.

Pat Hurley

Very Sad News to the benchrest community.

RIP Sid as it was always a pleasure speaking with you.

My condolences to the family and and relatives.

Russell

Sorry to hear this news. Sid was the most patient and generous mentor and friend anyone could ask for. The road will be tougher to navigate without his guidance and advice, to say nothing of his skilled craftsmanship. Rest easy Sid.

Last edited:
Arrangements

https://www.beckfunerals.com/obituaries/Sidney-Goodling?obId=4322121#/celebrationWall

A funeral service in celebration of his life will be held on Tuesday at 11:00AM at St. Paul’s Lutheran Church in Stoverstown, 4767 Lehman Rd., Spring Grove with Rev. Dr. Brad Dayett officiating. He will be laid to rest following the service at St. Paul Union Cemetery. Viewings will be held on Monday from 6-8 PM at Beck Funeral Home & Cremation Service Inc. of Spring Grove, 175 N. Main St., Spring Grove and on Tuesday from 10-11AM at the church.
In lieu of flowers, contributions in his memory may be made to St. Paul’s Lutheran Church.
Condolences may be shared at www.beckfunerals.com

I met Sid over the phone when I ordered my first bench gun and then later had him build one for my dad. His work was second to none. Sid always had time to talk even years after the guns were built, and he always seemed to have time for those interested in benchrest. He was a great guy, and I offer my condolences to his family and those who were closest to him.
Mike and Rich Suhie

Yes

a terrible loss to his family and close friends and to everyone in the rifle and benchrest shooting community that had the good fortune to have made his acquaintance over the years. He was a class act from head to foot. My sympathy to his family.

I really only knew him to speak to

but I know he enjoyed a great reputation for being a great guy, all around. He will be sorely missed. Condolences to his family and friends.

Pete

Sid

Sid was as nice a person as could be. Always had time to help. I had the great fortune to get him out of his shop a few times.....

sid1.jpgsid2.jpgsid3.jpgsid4.jpg

Sid...

I’ve known Sid for about 30 years; and he’s been my primary travelling partner for the last 18+ of those years when we could both still get to matches. I was to go down to see him last Sunday with Dean Breeden; but after having been sick for the entire week prior to that, I decided against it. If I had gone, I would somehow have found the courage to tell him when I left, “Sid, I’m gonna continue to hope and pray for a miracle. In the meantime, I’m gonna thank you… thank you for the hours and hours of good times and great memories we had while travelling together; thank you for the outstanding gunsmithing you did for me; and thank you for all the tips, tricks, suggestions, and mentoring you have shared with me. Most of all, thank you for your friendship.” Rest in peace, brother. I love ya…

Back