R.I.P. Bill 'Grumpy' Jenkins

Al Nyhus

"It'll never work!"
I know it's not BR related, but many of us are also car guys:

William Tyler 'Grumpy' Jenkins passed away this morning at the age of 81. Grump was an innovator far ahead of his time, not just with his engine work but all facets of race car construction. His work ushered in the era of 'scienced out' combinations in NHRA Drag Racing. His Vega Pro Stocker pushed the rules to the limit and changed the game as no other car before or since. I met him on several occasions and the 'Grumpy' rememberances always make me smile. He came by the nickname because he didn't suffer fools lightly or have time for what he termed "....stupid questions." :D But if you had a well reasoned out idea and approached him when he wasn't busy.....he would listen and offer his thoughts.

Godspeed, Grumpy. -Al

Grump with the prestigous Car Craft Magazine Driver of the Year award....and Linda Vaughn. 'Grumpy' wasn't always grumpy. ;)

grump.jpg

very sad another great one is gone. ive always been a fan of Jenkins, and Ronnie Sox (whom passed away a few years back).

Back in the late 50's and early 60's I remember that name. It seems as though back then he was involved with gas and modified cars. At that point the terms "funny car" and "prostock" hadn't been invented yet.

Going to have a beer this evening just for Grumpy.. Having spent half my life with my head stuck inside a SBChev race engine and waiting for the next lot of written Gospel according to Jenkins to arrive .. I can honestly say that i and others here in Australia thought he was something special .. .. JR.. Jeff Rogers

The Jenkins Competition inner sanctum during the match race days. Man, if those walls could talk....

jenkinsshop.jpg

Grump pioneered many of the things still in use today. His early Pro Stock cars were the first to successfully use multi stage dry sump systems for efficient oil control within the oil pan, scrapers along the side of the pan rail to 'scape' the oil off as the rotating assy. came by, ultra light tension oil rings, pan evacualtion systems that decreased pressure in the crankcase, McPherson strut front suspension components, welded intakes with 'plenum stuffers' to reduce the signal back into the intake during the cam overlap period, adapter plates on the exhaust ports to spead bolts wider so bigger tube headers could be fitted....the list goes on. This engine shot is from his '76 car and shows components and theories still in use today.

43995_Engine_Web.jpg

Last edited:
The car I remember most was Grump's '66 L-79 Nova, the first "Toy".
RMA6602.jpg

In the final with Jere Stahl at the '66 SS Nats at York 30 Stahl won with his Hemi Belverdere 11:73 to Grump's 11:76.

RIP Grump...and thanks for all the memories!

My first new car was a 66 Chevy II with the 350 Hp. 327 and close ratio 4 speed. Cost was about $3000. I traded in a 57 Chevy 2 door Belair HT that I had built with Crosley bucket seats, rolled and pleated interior done in Juarez. I had built a 283 into a 302 CI with 11-1 Comp. Balanced, ported & polished with 2 Carter's , Corvette FI cam, good headers, good valve springs, big oil pump, and built loose. 411 rear gear w/ 3 speed overdrive. I ran outta money for a 4 speed which were scarce back then. It easily turned 8000 rpm's which was almost unheard back then. The drawback was the weak ignitions we had back then. I had to keep really fresh sparkplugs to run well. Ah, the good old days.

Me and cupla guys had a 63 Ply Stage III wedge (SS/DA)that ran into him a few places,,he usually had a car carrier full of "good" equipment...notice the 7" tires on the Chevy II above...that is all the rules allowed in those days.....it was like taking off on snowy streets ....the cars today run a lil faster but with much bigger tires and a launch pad.....he was an inovator and whale of a gear jammer....Roger

"DA GRUMP" was and always will be the MAN. I always was anti Chevrolet BUT he was a Genius when it came to motors. I remember his at the Altoona Pa strip with his '67 Camaro 396/375 tuning ,changing jets, setting valves with hand written notes he had in a spiral notebook he kept in his pocket.

Jere Stall and he had ssooooo many memorable races in '66 with Grumpy giving the Hemi a fit. He often commented that he did not really like to drive and he had some of the best "Shoes" to ever "Pull the Handle" in the late Dave Strickler, Larry Lombardo and few people remember that he built and tuned for Dave Connelly when he 1st started in Pro Stock

4EVER Grumpy

"We are Diminished"

Jim

I remember thinking his first Vega was a bunch of BS !!! How can a Pro STOCK car have an engine it never came from the factory with ????? Over on NHRA.com they have a pic of that first Vega and it DID have it's original front suspension.

I wonder what they would be turning a 331" SB nowadays ???? 13,000 ??

Back