Question requiring expert information

I am trying to find information for a friend regarding the feasibility of boring out a .22RF chamber in an existing .22RF bolt action rifle and inserting a steel plug to then be bored to match chamber specs. Or the possibility of using an already turned and bored match chamber plug, that has been reamed to .22LR match specs/tolerances, so it may be inserted to achieve a match quality commercial rifle.
I have tried the search function but I see that this might become a very deep Black hole.
If you have any information to share I would appreciate hearing your thoughts/experiences.
Centerfire

I am trying to find information for a friend regarding the feasibility of boring out a .22RF chamber in an existing .22RF bolt action rifle and inserting a steel plug to then be bored to match chamber specs. Or the possibility of using an already turned and bored match chamber plug, that has been reamed to .22LR match specs/tolerances, so it may be inserted to achieve a match quality commercial rifle.
I have tried the search function but I see that this might become a very deep Black hole.
If you have any information to share I would appreciate hearing your thoughts/experiences.
Centerfire

Centerfire,

First let me qualify my answer. I'm no expert, so take whatever I say as just my opinion. Second, I'm trying to decide if this is a serious question.

I see you joined in 2005 so perhaps it is.

The obvious way to achieve the results you desire is to cut off the current barrel chamber and rechamber to whatever specs you like. You only need to remove about .750.

I can't image why you would want to use a plug.

Good luck to your friend.

TKH (4628)

Maybe one should ask as to what, exactly, is the rifle make and model? That way, someone with more expertise than I can suggest whether it's reasonable to set back the barrel for re-chambering.

Just my thought.....Roger

Back