Question for Grizzly G4003G owners

B

Brian

I've had my G4003G for a couple weeks now and just discovered something. When I move the compound slide away from me as far as it will go it exposes the compound lead screw. I don't have experience with a lot of lathe's but I have worked with a few and everyone I have ever worked with had a plate over that area that protected it from chips and other nasty things that could get in there if you were doing work with it exposed. I called Grizzly about it and the real nice guy I talked to said the G4003G didn't come with this protective cover. I checked my manual and it clearly shows a plate that seems to go there. Could you guys who own this lathe please check and see if one is installed on yours?

Mine doesn't have a plate. If I have to use it with the slide that far over I vacuum it out when done.

I took delivery of mine in September of 08. I do not have a plate cover over mine either. It is clearly shown as item # 504 in the users manual on page 56.

I am surprised that I missed that, as I have studied that page to figure out how to remove the cross slide.

Neither of my lathes (a South Bend and a Taiwanese Import) has a plate that covers the screw. I just clean it out when I'm done.

Not a problem.

Fitch

I just got mine out of the crate and bolted to the floor. - There is no cover, I can see the lead screw.

I suppose it wouldn't be that hard to make one out of brass sheet. - I haven't looked at the drawing yet, but will do so soon.

Kind Regards, CharlesB

Back