Question about mounting base mount on a problem receiver.

I have a remington 700 in 338 ultramag. Receiver trued, kreiger barrel shoots great. The base mounting holes in the receiver are drilled so far off to the left that the rifles poi is 53 inches to the right at 100 yards with a mechanically centered scope. The holes have already been opened to 8x40. What is the best thing to do in order to be able to securely mount a picatinny rail on this receiver. And also the barrel is clocked to 12 o'clock. Thank you for any help with this.

Al you can look at the receiver from above and see they run off to the left and also I put a front and rear base screw in and held a steel straight edge on the screws to check the alignment.

Al you can look at the receiver from above and see they run off to the left and also I put a front and rear base screw in and held a steel straight edge on the screws to check the alignment.

Fill the holes and drill over.
Simply screwing in a plug usually works fine.

If there is ANY overlap with the desired new hole location
be sure to use a center drill for the initial drilling of the 'new' hole.
You want a ridged drill that will not be pulled off by the possible
difference in hardness between the receiver and the plug.
A solid setup is also required.
For smaller holes I often reshape the center drill to the desired hole size,
or barely smaller.

Last edited:

Wow! How you checked it was going to be my suggestion.

Is this an action from a complete gun or an individual action? -Al

It was a new remington 700 338 rum. E series. I've had quite a few 700s since 1967 and this particular rifle just happened to be by far the worst I've seen. Also it is a left hand action and I have been told remington had some problems with some of the left hand receivers.

It was a new remington 700 338 rum. E series. I've had quite a few 700s since 1967 and this particular rifle just happened to be by far the worst I've seen. Also it is a left hand action and I have been told remington had some problems with some of the left hand receivers.

Is this a new manufacture or a remnant of their previous days?

I don't know what remington is doing at the moment as far as 700 receivers. They were selling rr series 700 receivers. I read remington is now making a so called improved receiver. Model number of it? I don't know. You probably know more about it than I do.

Back