Question about benchrest actions

treece

Im contemplating buying a benchrest action for 30br build. Iv got two single shot 700s. One 40x and a clone type. Both have small firing pin and are straight as can be. One uses a recoil lug and the other has one. I shoot 6br out of them both in short range club matches.
So, is it possible to gain anything getting a dual port br action? Im thinking about buying a Kauger br action.
Talk me into it, or not.
Thanks

From purely an accuracy stand point, a well done Rem or clone is going to be fine. But that's not the whole story.

Custom actions offer more options for ease of operation and convenience. A coned bolt for easy feeding, trigger hangers for easy trigger maintainence and adjustment, bolt handles more suited for easy manipulation and all the options for ports and ejectors. If you're going to do a bolt in, the non 700 foot print actions offer increased bedding surface and beefier rear tangs. Now add in all the other things a good custom action has as far as dimensional control, side bolt releases, properly aligned scope base holes or an integral rail, etc. Whew...it can be a lot to fathom if you're new to the custom action world. Remember that a non 700 action foot print will mean a new stock or reinletting what you have, if possible.

In the end, keep your long term goals in mind. If you already have what you need and just want to try your hand with the 30BR, there's sure no reason that a custom action is a must. But keep in mind that not all custom 700 foot print actions are truly up to Benchrest standards. Bolt to receiver clearance is the big thing to investigate before laying down folding money here.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Good shootin' :) -Al

A trued up Remmy with a good barrel will shoot with anything. Unless you just want something different, I'd spend the money on a good barrel and maybe a trigger if it needs it.

Im contemplating buying a benchrest action for 30br build. Iv got two single shot 700s. One 40x and a clone type. Both have small firing pin and are straight as can be. One uses a recoil lug and the other has one. I shoot 6br out of them both in short range club matches.
So, is it possible to gain anything getting a dual port br action? Im thinking about buying a Kauger br action.
Talk me into it, or not.
Thanks
Treece, check your pm's

Back