Quality 75gr 6mm bullets

.22 ppc

Some of you may remember a while back I was having trouble tuning a 6ppc, well that's changed. I changed seating depth and made a few other modifications to my process and boy what a difference. I found 120 new pieces of sako 6ppc brass from way back and decided to load up some rounds to see what I could find that works. Now I have a bit of a bullet shortage, I have a lot of almost empty boxes in varying weights 60-75 grains. I decided to start heavy with some b&c 75 grain fbhp. I started at 26.0 grs h322 and loaded .3 grains up until 27.2. Very quickly it was quite clear what load was best with all 5 shot groups being about .7 inches except 26.6 being .248. I'll also mention I'm not shooting over any flags. So taking this information I loaded up some more but this time I used some sierra 75gr hpfb so I could get velocity numbers and things if that nature without wasting my good bullets. Now I didn't expect to get groups as good with these bullets vs hand made. I was wrong. Very wrong. During this testing I managed to shoot a .143 6 shot group at 100 yards in light wind without flags! Now this I believe was probably a big bit of luck. I am reluctant to trust sierras quality control in competition. I am going up against tough competeion. So who is making good 75 grain bullets?

Attachments

• IMG_3548.JPG
    IMG_3548.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 222
Try these

Precision Ballistics makes a 74gr. And they are good. It seems I recall a thread on accurateshooter.com or here about Bart making an 80gr BT as well.

Tim

My 6mm Remington 700 Varmint rifle is certainly not in the same class as your 6PPC but it's a sub-1/2 MOA rifle and I've found the Hornady 75 grain V-Max 6mm bullets to be outstandingly accurate. That's with 44.0 grains of IMR-4831 and seated to 2.810"

I was able to find a deal on 1,000 Nosler 6mm 70 grain BT tipped bullets I tried five different powders. Four of the powders were terrible. But, the same 44.0 grains of IMR-4831 gave a 5-shot group of .445". I'll be further testing that load later this week. My rifle is factory stock and I'm using a 20X scope. I suspect that your rig is considerably better.

IMO, it would be a mistake to dismiss Sierra, Hornady and Nosler quality out of hand. I'd at least use them for practice and save my custom bullets for competition.

quality 75 6mm bullets

Sierra make,s very very good bullets. The only problem as you pointed out was the quality control issue.
That,s easy enough to fix Measure and weigh your Sierras bullets and sort them by ist length witch will effect your seating depth and also by weight.
I bet that will make a difference in your groups. your also going to find out that sierra bullets are very good considering the quantity that they make.

Back