PT&G bolt?

B

bigngreen

I'm going to build a 6.5x284 Precision hunting rifle, I have a Remington 700 action that has a mag bolt so I wanted to use a new bolt. Never ordered a bolt so I'm looking for some advice, I need to know what bolt diameter or tolerance should I be looking for? Also there is an option for a M16 extractor but which would be the correct or best one for this, the standard or mini? Thanks

No I have not contacted them, I've found e-mail lingers for days without answer and the best thing to do is just call and talk to Dave but knowing how busy he's got to be I wanted to get some opinions and input before talking to him so I can get in and get out so to speak and not waste his time.

Has the action been trued and the bolt bore oversized? Of is it going to be?

If so, then you need to know what the bore diameter of the action is and order the bolt diameter accordingly.

That will be the key question that Dave will ask.

Bob

The action will have the lugs touched up, threads trued and action faced but the raceway will not be reamed. What tolerance would be good to run? Any opinion on which extractor?

The action will have the lugs touched up, threads trued and action faced but the raceway will not be reamed. What tolerance would be good to run? Any opinion on which extractor?

I would run at least .001" radial clearance bertween the bolt body and raceway. I would recommend the remington factory style extractor or the pinned in m-16 style. The factory remmy style extractors are fine I would only change it If I was modifying an existing bolt and could not re install the factory style. My .02 YMMV

Gotta have the M16 extractor but it's offered in standard or mini, don't know which would be best for this build.

No I have not contacted them, I've found e-mail lingers for days without answer and the best thing to do is just call and talk to Dave but knowing how busy he's got to be I wanted to get some opinions and input before talking to him so I can get in and get out so to speak and not waste his time.

When ever I call and talk to Dave he never acts like he's in a hurry or pinch for time, always answers all me question's no matter, how unimportant or trivial, to me, he's a class act for customer service,,,,,,,

The wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

I gave them a call yesterday and was referred to an other gunsmith, he was helpful but obviously was busy trying to run his own business not be tech support for another.

PTG Bolt

I gave them a call yesterday and was referred to an other gunsmith, he was helpful but obviously was busy trying to run his own business not be tech support for another.

You were refered to another gunsmith? That has never happened to me? In over 15 years of dealing with PTG. Was it an inhouse smith or elsewhere. If inhouse, THAT IS HIS BUSINESS. If an outside smith, something is wrong. I would call back and ask to have Dave call you. I would also ask him about this. Perhaps the original person is new. Or something.

Roy

I'm going to build a 6.5x284 Precision hunting rifle

You're going to build it, or have it built? If you're doing the work, then you should be clear on what clearance you want, and all of the other machining and fitting issues thereto. Or, you're going to bite off more than you can chew, IMO.

If you're having it built, I presume you haven't yet settled on a builder, or your builder would be making these decisions. Here's an outstanding riflesmith in ND, which is sort of in your area: http://www.straightshotgunsmithing.com/

I'm building the rifle but it's the first time I'm ordering a bolt, I'm changing from 7mag to 6.5-284 and I thought it would be a great opportunity to try this new avenue but obviously lack the experience so I though I would get advice from those with experience.

Clearances on the bolt body depend upon whether you coat the bolt and receiver with some of the coatings. Uncoated, .001" clearance works well, but doubt that you could tell the difference in how the rifle shoots with .001 or .002" clearance. If you coat the bolt and receiver have at least .002" clearance. I've had bolts that were coated that had .001" clearance before coating that wouldn't go in the receiver after coating. One bolt was np3 coated and the other was black t coated.

Clearances on the bolt body depend upon whether you coat the bolt and receiver with some of the coatings. Uncoated, .001" clearance works well, but doubt that you could tell the difference in how the rifle shoots with .001 or .002" clearance. If you coat the bolt and receiver have at least .002" clearance. I've had bolts that were coated that had .001" clearance before coating that wouldn't go in the receiver after coating. One bolt was np3 coated and the other was black t coated.

Thank you, just what I needed!!! Last night I found a Defiance bolt fit just perfectly in this action and cycled sweet with enough clearance that it would be good in a hunting situation so I'm just going to order the same spec'ed bolt diameter.

Back