Proof loads for new Starline 30-30 brass

mturner

A guy on accurate shooter was looking for the strongest and best quality brass for a wildcat he developed. I told him I would run some proof loads through the new Starline 30-30 brass. I was going to do this anyway, since Starline sent me a sample of their brass for testing. The new brass looks nice, has a .005" thicker web, and is more uniform on neck thickness. All I can say is I was extremely surprised by the strength of this brass in the case head area. Here is a copy of the test I posted on accurateshooter. The loads, velocities, and pressures are simply outrageous.

I just got through testing the new Starline 30-30 brass. I tried to push the pressures to the first sight of case weakness, but for the first time, I just had to back away. I could not loosen a primer, even though the loads were crazy high pressure "proof" loads. I ran out of room in the case with H4198, and with LT30. I am not going to put H4227 in it. I do not want to swell the chamber on my "zero" size group capable Lederer barrel. The new Starline brass has been manufactured with a thicker case web for greater strength, I did see about 1 grain less capacity, but for me, it is worth it.

It was 46 degrees outside this morning at 8600 ft. elevation, so it took more powder than usual to get these velocities, but you won't be disappointed by the velocities. All velocities were checked with my Labradar.

Rifle: My HV benchrest with a 23" Lederer barrrel
Bullet: My 118gr 9 ogive .925" Hines jacket, all loads touching lands (this bullet allows the most room in the case)
Case: Just released Starline 30-30 brass, neck turned to .0085"
Powders: Hodgdon H4198, Accurate LT30, Accurate LT32

Test load:
34.5 - H4198 - 2977 fps (slower than 30BR because of air space)

Proof Loads:
40.0 - LT32 - 3144 fps
41.0 - LT32 - 3252 fps (running out of room way to quick, moving to faster powders)

LT30 - 41.0 - 3319 fps
LT30 - 41.5 - 3352 fps
LT30 - 42.0 - 3387 fps (out of room, primer seats the same as new)

H4198 - 38.5 - 3240 fps
H4198 - 39.5 - 3295 fps
H4198 - 40.0 - 3316 fps
H4198 - 40.5 - 3358 fps (out of room, primer seats the same as new)

I used two cases to complete all testing. Cases were trimmed to 2.015", and grew to 2.018" after five very hot loads in each.

The energy level reached was 3005 fpe. A 270 Winchester pushing a 130 gr bullet at 3150 fps is 2864 fpe. If you ever reach 3000 fpe in a 270 Winchester, chances are you loosened the primer.

These velocities are real, and even though the brass was up to the task, these loads are considered extremely dangerous in almost any other firearm without a long trigger string.

Michael

Michael

what was the case measurement on the solid web and just in front of it for an unfired case, then same measurements after firing? Tks --Greg

what was the case measurement on the solid web and just in front of it for an unfired case, then same measurements after firing? Tks --Greg

Measured between .4168" and .4170" before firing. I have not measured it since. Just tried to loosen the primer. I was not attempting to determine max load by measuring case head diameter. This is because I already know these loads are over maximum. I have used a load in a match that pushed a 118gr bullet at 3275 fps. I saw zero problems with it.

Michael

dang....

and you already had me hot on a 30-30

I have an action, in my hand

I just with "Hunter Class" still meant something because I've already GOT 3 wildly successful chamberings!

dang

The things I could do with that rim.....

ooops..... that would be "WISH "Hunter Class" still meant something" dammedautocorrect

Last edited:
A story about Frank Wilson

Forget the fancy stuff. I want a good low mileage 788 in 30-30.

I used to shoot in a club match in Burnet, TX. We shot several different matches, three position rimfire, three position cenerfire, factory sporter 100, factory varmint 100, and several others.

Trying to compete in a factory sporter match without a 788 was tough, so I finally purchased a 788 in 222. The rifle consistently shot low .2" groups. We shot score targets, and I could occasionally shoot a 50-5X, but mostly 3 to 4X targets was the norm. I was dominating the factory class score match, and considered my 788 222 unbeatable.

Enter Frank Wilson. One day Frank showed up with a 788 30-30. He walked up to me and asked "whats a good load for a 30-30 bolt gun"? I told him to just put 40gr. of 2015 behind a 125gr. Berger or TNT bullet. Who would have known if that load would be in tune for his rifle or not? I guess it was. Frank shot a 50-5x to my 50-4x with my 222. That was the first time, and only time that I have ever had my tail kicked by a 30-30. I offered Frank $300 for that 788 30-30 a few years later. I own that rifle now.

I saw Frank Wilson for the first time in about 10 years at the Cotton Ball match in Lubbock, TX. It was really great to see him.

Michael

Last edited:
OK OK..... I'm sure we'll "agree to disagree" on this one but I think I've got the action option covered.

I do have the correct 788. I'm actually not that happy with 788 accuracy, I find bot compression to be an issue at the pressures I run. But, I do have that option open, IN HAND.

Nope, my platform of choice, also IN HAND on the rack is a Savage 340 already chambered in and marked as 30-30Win.....

Now I'm not a big Salvage freak, I don't buy into the fanatical Ford Following "ain't nuttin' BUT Savage" mindset but I have zero problem getting them to shoot well... and while I haven't messed with this barrel-nutted grandpappy 110 I see NO REASON it won't just ring thee gong all day......

"if I do my part" :) :)

i had issues with just one bolt and the bbl band.
i extended the receiver tang, tapped for 1/4-28,
and ran a bolt up from the rear trigger guard.
i had a lowly jc penny's gun...still a 340.

OK OK..... I'm sure we'll "agree to disagree" on this one but I think I've got the action option covered.

I do have the correct 788. I'm actually not that happy with 788 accuracy, I find bot compression to be an issue at the pressures I run. But, I do have that option open, IN HAND.

Nope, my platform of choice, also IN HAND on the rack is a Savage 340 already chambered in and marked as 30-30Win.....

Now I'm not a big Salvage freak, I don't buy into the fanatical Ford Following "ain't nuttin' BUT Savage" mindset but I have zero problem getting them to shoot well... and while I haven't messed with this barrel-nutted grandpappy 110 I see NO REASON it won't just ring thee gong all day......

"if I do my part" :) :)

Test Action

Just remember that my test action is an incredibly strong 1 1/2" diameter S7 tool steel receiver with a 1 1/8" barrel tenon diameter, and has the typical 1.250" HV taper. The bolt is .750" diameter with two .500" wide locking lugs.

While the 788 and 340 actions are strong enough to run higher pressures than any lever action, I think loads anywhere close to the loads listed above could result in a considerable amount of case stretch. I will say that a 125gr at 3100 fps is acceptable for the 788 for sure. I have never had any experience with the 340, but doesn't it have a single front locking lug?

Michael

Back