Problems with Tubb's speedlock kit for Rem 700

AMMASHOOTA

Gary Gruber
I am on my second Tubb's speedlock kit for a Rem 700 action. The first one broke the firing pin spring after 30 rounds. Today I had 5 light primer strikes out of 30 rounds fired. Examining the primers (CCI BR-2) shows no visible signs of any of them being high.

I intend to replace the original firing pin assembly in the bolt and retry the same failed rounds.

Anyone have this sort of problem with this FP kit? The rifle is a beautiful 308 that I built two years ago and shoots great (1/4 MOA). Reliability is paramount for me. Am I really giving up anything by using the factory pin and spring?

I had the same thing happen to me on a Rem 700 243 short action. I think the spring for the short action is too long and I told him/them that (maybe a long action mismarked as short action). they sent me a replacement, which also looked too long, but in the meantime I went with something else from Midway or Sinclair and no further problems. Sorry, don't recall the mfg.

Dennis

Install a pre 2006 std OEM Rem firing pin & spring.
Lighten & Time it
Don't look back.

The above will out last you!!

Dan,

What do you mean by "time it" and how is that done? All I did was install the new pin/spring and put it back together and shoot it! Did I miss something?

Dennis

Reliability is paramount for me. Am I really giving up anything by using the factory pin and spring?

You already have the answer......you'll give up reliable ignition for the sake of faster locktime.....and locktime means nadda if shooting off a rest.

Back