Primers

ArtinNC

I have been having trouble with CCI Small Rifle Primers BR-4 . Having a lot of miss fires . I have put a new firing pin spring in and still having the problem , but never with Remington or Federial Primers . . Anyone else having the problem ?

I have been having trouble with CCI Small Rifle Primers BR-4 . Having a lot of miss fires . I have put a new firing pin spring in and still having the problem , but never with Remington or Federial Primers . . Anyone else having the problem ?

Did you check the firing pin tip? They do wear and small amounts break off?????
Or you could be bumping the shoulder too much. I did this using wrong shell holder. Had 2 of the same number. Mixed them up.....

Did you check the firing pin tip? They do wear and small amounts break off?????
Or you could be bumping the shoulder too much. I did this using wrong shell holder. Had 2 of the same number. Mixed them up.....

Firing pin is ok but I may be bumping the shoulder to much that I will check . Thanks

Ok I just checked and I'm moving the shoulder back almost .002 , so i'll not move them back any and try that they still chamber ok .

Last edited:
cci

Always seemed to me that ccis had harder primer cups than most. Alot harder than winchester brass cups. Federal hits a happy medium with theirs for me. I had a 686 smith I couldnt shoot ccis in,weak hammer spring trigger pull was nice. Had to shoot something else. Doug

Even though you put in a new spring, that does not mean you have enough spring pressure.

Some actions, older Farleys in particular, were notorious for having too light of spring pressure and not enough firing pin travel.

I always go by Kebly’s recommendation of not less than 23 lbs of static pressure and .230 inch of travel.

You might check that.

Even though you put in a new spring, that does not mean you have enough spring pressure.

Some actions, older Farleys in particular, were notorious for having too light of spring pressure and not enough firing pin travel.

I always go by Kebly’s recommendation of not less than 23 lbs of static pressure and .230 inch of travel.

You might check that.

This is a Hall action .

Thanks

Had exactly the same issue a couple years ago

and I called CCI who had one of their tech's call me back within a couple hours. His direction was to seat the BR-4 primers 5-7thousandths below flush, and make sure that you feel the primer bottom out into the pocket and put a slight crush on it to seat the primer. He suggested also that I consider uniforming the primer pockets. I did both and haven't had any issues since. That being said I also use Rem, Federal, or Winchester primers on new brass now too. CCI tech was very helpful and gave easy to understand directions. JME. WD

some of us have saying and doing this for years

make sure that you feel the primer bottom out into the pocket and put a slight crush on it to seat the primer. He suggested also that I consider uniforming the primer pockets. I did both and haven't had any issues since. JME. WD

I think I found my problem , I was NOT seating the CCI BR-4 primer deep enough . I never had a missfire to day . The gun I shot was a XP100 built in 1974 and the guy I bought it from shot many matches with it and I bought it in 1980 and shot it in some matches along with lost of groundhogs and red wing black birds and in 2021 it will still hold under 1/4 inch . I'll bet not many can say that and today it only took 7 patches to clean the barrel .

I think I found my problem , I was NOT seating the CCI BR-4 primer deep enough . I never had a missfire to day . The gun I shot was a XP100 built in 1974 and the guy I bought it from shot many matches with it and I bought it in 1980 and shot it in some matches along with lost of groundhogs and red wing black birds and in 2021 it will still hold under 1/4 inch . I'll bet not many can say that and today it only took 7 patches to clean the barrel .

Was that with a Bore Scope lookie....?????
Clean wise....???

Don't want to look thru a bore scope on this gun , Afraid of what I'll see , Last two patches come out white . can't ask for this old barrel to shoot any better for all that it's been through .

See there by the number "8" is a bullet to compare to the 4 shot group is .035 , but as always I can't keep all 5 shots in the same hole . is that becouse I don't have a bore scope , barrel not clean enough ? I think it is just me .

Attachments

• DSC_2652.JPG
    DSC_2652.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 211
Last edited:
See there by the number "8" is a bullet to compare to the 4 shot group is .035 , but as always I can't keep all 5 shots in the same hole . is that becouse I don't have a bore scope , barrel not clean enough ? I think it is just me .

I had a similar problem. Found a bump on the stock. Moved my stop post back and installed stock tape. Problem gone.
Stop post back. Was trying to "balance rifle".....
Could not see bump with naked eye. Used a pair of calipers.....003-.005" very small bump.....

Back