Primers

Chism G

I recall having a conversation about primers with BR Hall OF Famer, Charles Huckeba at a registered match here in the GCR. Charles says, primers make a difference. When he said that, it prompted me to check my standing on the wailing wall.:D I wasn’t too pleased with my performance and felt I could do better.

I wondered, Primers? when Charles says there is a lot to lot difference in primers,its smart to pay attention to what he says. With decades of competition experience ,Obviously, Charles has noticed something that makes him suspect that not all primers are created equal. He didn’t go into details about what caused his suspicions or what he does to compensate for primer inconsistencies. For that answer,I may have to try some truth serum.:D

Glenn

Glenn,

Knowing a little bit about your professional career, I’m guessing you do have a little bit of sodium pentothal laying around.

Mark

Glenn,

Knowing a little bit about your professional career, I’m guessing you do have a little bit of sodium pentothal laying around.

Mark

Ran out of the good stuff Mark. I'm gonna have Dr Tim Swing a watch in front of his face, saying, watch the watch, watch the watch, watch the watch.:D

Glenn

Of course the brand of primer makes a big difference in the tune.

But surely Sir Charles wasn’t talking about individual primers in a box of 100.

Of course the brand of primer makes a big difference in the tune.

But surely Sir Charles wasn’t talking about individual primers in a box of 100.

What I understood Charles to say was that there are differences from lot to lot in all brands of primers.

Same as differences from lot to lot of same brand of powder, ie V-133. Now..I could have misunderstood what I thought I heard.

Next time I see him. I'll ask.

Glenn

I agree with the idea of some necessary tuning-up when I change primer lot (most usually FederalMatch).

Let me explain something I am doing at case prep, in relation to primer variation. Maybe I will appear totally wrong to experts here, but please teach me.

To keep the effect of a change in primer lot as small as possible, or to try to reduce the effect of primer variation within the same lot, I change the cylindrical flash hole to a cone using Sinclair flash hole deburring tools.

While keeping the "flame exit" diameter as small as possible on the primer pocket side, I convert the entire flash hole to a cone, converting the cylinder to an edge, building a divergent nozzle.

My meaning is to keep primer flash as less penetrating in the powder load as possible.

I try to have an ignition starting from the rear to the front of the powder column, starting with a small disc or a small sphere put to fire and then rely on powder dynamic.

I try to get as far as possible from what you currently have using magnum + aluminium doping primers, aka very penetrating primer flash, aka powder burning from the axis to the external diameter of the powder column, aka what you have in canon shell with the long primer tube inside the powder load.

In the first case, I suppose (maybe I am wrong) that primer variation has less impact than on second case.

i agree with the idea of some necessary tuning-up when i change primer lot (most usually federalmatch).

Let me explain something i am doing at case prep, in relation to primer variation. Maybe i will appear totally wrong to experts here, but please teach me.

To keep the effect of a change in primer lot as small as possible, or to try to reduce the effect of primer variation within the same lot, i change the cylindrical flash hole to a cone using sinclair flash hole deburring tools.

While keeping the "flame exit" diameter as small as possible on the primer pocket side, i convert the entire flash hole to a cone, converting the cylinder to an edge, building a divergent nozzle.

My meaning is to keep primer flash as less penetrating in the powder load as possible.

I try to have an ignition starting from the rear to the front of the powder column, starting with a small disc or a small sphere put to fire and then rely on powder dynamic.

I try to get as far as possible from what you currently have using magnum + aluminium doping primers, aka very penetrating primer flash, aka powder burning from the axis to the external diameter of the powder column, aka what you have in canon shell with the long primer tube inside the powder load.

In the first case, i suppose (maybe i am wrong) that primer variation has less impact than on second case.
use small center drill does the job seely masker gave me one he made up 40 yrs ago

Glen

What I understood Charles to say was that there are differences from lot to lot in all brands of primers.

Same as differences from lot to lot of same brand of powder, ie V-133. Now..I could have misunderstood what I thought I heard.

Next time I see him. I'll ask.

Glenn

When ever I have some unexplained fliers, Charles asks me if I have some different primers to try. He told me that if you have a lot of primers that are good, to hold a brick or two back so you have them to test new lots against and some to take to a big matches... One of the things I have learned from him is that good consistent primers and new firing pin springs are required for good ignition, bad ignition won't get you very far up the leader board!

When ever I have some unexplained fliers, Charles asks me if I have some different primers to try. He told me that if you have a lot of primers that are good, to hold a brick or two back so you have them to test new lots against and some to take to a big matches... One of the things I have learned from him is that good consistent primers and new firing pin springs are required for good ignition, bad ignition won't get you very far up the leader board!

Scott,...you’re fortunate to have Charles Huckeba as your mentor. it was many years ago, at a registered match when Charles told me that primers make a difference in accuracy. When Charles says primers make a difference. Primers makes a difference. He obviously knows what to look for, on the target.

Sorting through lots of primers, to find the good ones, has not been my forte.
I buy primers 5000 at a time. I usually don’t keep a selection of various lots of brand name primers laying around for testing. I’m comfortable with blaming the fliers on something other than primers.:D There is a long list to choose from.:D

I have forgot and left my primers at home. Borrowed enough from other competitors to get me through the match. Were the borrowed primers from good lots? I didn’t ask the owner.:D Dont remember how well I shot with borrowed primers.

Its all fun.

Glenn

In nomine patris etc.

Glen, There is a simple solution (literally) to your primer question; one that guarantees that every primer will be good. I am talking about holy water. Go to the nearest Catholic church with a small bottle and fill it from the holy water basin at the entrance. You might add a few drops of Clorox due to COVID-19. Sprinkle it on your primers while saying the words "In Nomine Patris et Filli et Spiritus Sanci Amen.". This will bless your primers and all will shoot well. It is better if a Catholic priest does this but lacking one you can impersonate a father by wearing black clothing and a roman collar after, of course, molesting an alter boy. Tim

Last edited:
Thanks Tim!

Glen, There is a simple solution (literally) to your primer question; one that guarantees that every primer will be good. I am talking about holy water. Go to the nearest Catholic church with a small bottle and fill it from the holy water basin at the entrance. You might add a few drops of Clorox due to COVID-19. Sprinkle it on your primers while saying the words "In Nomine Patris et Filli et Spiritus Sanci Amen.". This will bless your primers and all will shoot well. It is better if a Catholic priest does this but lacking one you can impersonate a father by wearing black clothing and a roman collar after, of course, molesting an alter boy. Tim

Thanks for spilling the beans about Holy Water, now everyone's going into the HOF... ;-)

Holy Water

Forget them Primers Tim. If that Holy Water works,I got something else that needs some wake up.:D

Glenn

glen, there is a simple solution (literally) to your primer question; one that guarantees that every primer will be good. I am talking about holy water. Go to the nearest catholic church with a small bottle and fill it from the holy water basin at the entrance. You might add a few drops of clorox due to covid-19. Sprinkle it on your primers while saying the words "in nomine patris et filli et spiritus sanci amen.". This will bless your primers and all will shoot well. It is better if a catholic priest does this but lacking one you can impersonate a father by wearing black clothing and a roman collar after, of course, molesting an alter boy. Tim

exceedingly funny !!!

Back